Sabot Slugs

biggamefish

Heart shot? what did the exit wound look like? I have heard good results if you get into a heavy bone like a shoulder. Most of the horror stories I hae heard have been on broadsides with nothing hit to force the expansion.

It was quartering away I hit partial lung and an artery right at the heart but the heart was intact. The entrance wound due to the angle was huge and exit hole was a little over an inch in dia. Last year I got a double lung shot on a doe. Same gun same ammo. I knocked a large piece of lung out of her at 35 yards.

In my opinion those old style slugs used in smooth bore barrels wrecked more havoc on deer than these newer sabot slugs designed for rifled barrels. You will probably get more accuracy and distance with rifled barrels and sabots, but I think the trade off is the better knock down power the old style slugs gave you. I don't need to hunt with a shotgun, but if I did, I would use the old style slugs even with a rifled barrel. Yes, you will dirty up the barrel, but so what? The old style slugs are cheaper than dirt compared to any sabots and I will take the better knock down power over 25 yards of range. I don't think any shotgun should be shot at a deer much over a hundred yards anyway, no matter how accurate the gun might shoot.

Lightfield Hybred Sabot is still the king in my book.

Most deer drop right away, or they only run about 40 yds before they expire.

I have shot 17 deer with them, only 1 was not recovered. Only 1 missed shot with them since 1998.

I shoot the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold 385 gr. Have never had an issue finding a deer after shooting it. If you are going to a fully rifled barrel, I would recommend the sabotted slug. You can shoot the cheaper slugs meant for rifled barrels but lose a lot of accuracy beyond 50 yards. If you don't shoot any further than that and this isn't an issue with you, then go with the cheaper slugs for rifled barrels. I hunt a lot of bean/corn/alfalfa fields and want to know that my slug will perform as expected if a deer walks out at 150 yards.

I think it all should boil down to the best grouping slugs out of your gun. If the sabots don't group try another. I use the 2 3/4 Winchesters out of my rifled BBL and they group and perform excellent for me. Hit em right and they will fall... Good luck to everyone this season as it is drawing to a close....

I just shot a doe at 100 yards with a 20 gauge 2 3/4" Remington AccuTipps. The slug went through both sets of lungs, and exited low. I had the hardest time finding a blood trail. Find her 75 yards away . after skinning and butchering I could not believe the damage. Wish the trailing was easier.

(null)

I don't think it should be about grouping at all. If a slug hold a 2 inch group at 50 yards and doesn't produce a blood trail but a slug that holds a 4 inch group at 50 yards and produces knockdown power and good trailing is the way to go. I would take a little less accuracy over a a super group on a piece of paper. Paper dies easy deer don't.

Well since we drifted a bit... I'm a smooth bore guy as well,I had great luck with Winchesters,today i use Truballs. Great slugs and .99 cents a box after Gander rebate !

Dropped my buck in its tracts at 95 yards this year, killed a few farther away then that over the last few years,can't remember tracking a gun deer in many years.

Just thowing my less knowledgeable two cents out there,..... I hunt in a rifle county and usually shoot a 270 WSM with a 130 gr bullet. In most cases the deer fall whithin a leap or two of where they were shot, if they didn't go down in their tracks. That said I couldn't imagine putting a vitals hit on a deer with one of these howitzer sized rounds and not having a DRT deer. I am curious about this because I am in a situation where I might be joining a club with land in a shotgun county. My limited experience with slugs are a long time ago. I used a 3" Federal Sabot that is no longer made. I hit one big doe head on at 70 yards and flipped her A$$ over Tea Kettle. Needless to say she never got back on her feet.