Opening day tomorrow

Opening day for squirrels tomorrow, will be 1st time I've ever gone out for them on opening day. My friend makes a great Brunswick stew. I'm determined to contribute as he is only one that hunts squirrels here.  Anyone else planning on going out?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Opening day for squirrels tomorrow, will be 1st time I've ever gone out for them on opening day. My friend makes a great Brunswick stew. I'm determined to contribute as he is only one that hunts squirrels here.  Anyone else planning on going out?

I'm not going, I figure I'll give them a break.....

What gun are you using?

I'll be out at least one morning this week, but probably not tomorrow...I worked all day today getting my winter wheat/clover plot in and it kicked my scrawny old ass..

I always use a shotgun early season..With all the foliage I find it hard enough getting a clean shot with a scattergun, much less a rifle..

I'll be using my 1937 vintage Winchester Model 12  16 gauge with an ounce of #6 shot...I love squirrel, and usually put  2 or 3 dozen in the freezer each fall....

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

I'll be out at least one morning this week, but probably not tomorrow...I worked all day today getting my winter wheat/clover plot in and it kicked my scrawny old ass..

I always use a shotgun early season..With all the foliage I find it hard enough getting a clean shot with a scattergun, much less a rifle..

I'll be using my 1937 vintage Winchester Model 12  16 gauge with an ounce of #6 shot...I love squirrel, and usually put  2 or 3 dozen in the freezer each fall....

I sit in a treestand it's a squirrel parade every am running trail on ground to a big hickory , figure I'll get rid of a few before deer season and add to his pot for stew.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

How is the hickory nut crop out your way this year  ?  I haven't checked my favorite grove yet..I do  know the the acorns are dropping up on  our property, though and the squirrels have been working them..

Got a shag hickory in the side yard ,tons of those annoying nuts dropping all over . The squirrels are going “ nuts” burying them all over my front yard , I have a beer and an occasional cigar on my front steps, I could probably kill a pot full with of them with rocks .

Also I can’t find my one set of keys how the heck do they find those buried nuts ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Got a shag hickory in the side yard ,tons of those annoying nuts dropping all over . The squirrels are going “ nuts” burying them all over my front yard , I have a beer and an occasional cigar on my front steps, I could probably kill a pot full with of them with rocks .

Also I can’t find my one set of keys how the heck do they find those buried nuts ?

Fun target practice. 

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I have enough trouble finding my OWN nuts these days.... I have however read that squirrels have a keen sense of smell and can smell the buried nuts under leaf litter, snow, etc...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have enough trouble finding my OWN nuts these days.... I have however read that squirrels have a keen sense of smell and can smell the buried nuts under leaf litter, snow, etc...

Look around your knees they are not high and tight anymore lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am ready but probably won't get out until the upcoming holiday weekend up at my in laws in the Adirondacks. My Ruger 10/22 was hitting right where I like it on the range yesterday (1/2" high at 50 yards).  The bigger hole to the right was my test bullet from my early bear rifle (30/30).

I also like a shotgun early and my favorite gun for that is my grandad's old 410 single shot Winchester. Maybe I will bring that along also.  The advantage of the 22 is better practice for deer hunting, but the scattergun is better before the leaves are down if you really want some meat. We have lots of venison left and a fair amount of fish, so that ain't no big deal yet.

20200831_192108.jpg

20200830_192749.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

How is the hickory nut crop out your way this year  ?  I haven't checked my favorite grove yet..I do  know the the acorns are dropping up on  our property, though and the squirrels have been working them..

Some.are loaded others nothing I have 3 that are very consistent producers and one hold.late into dec. Great.placr.formalte.season deer under that one

• Like 1

So this just happened a couple of hours ago.

cc1e521373e2b60113e7fc3414536950.jpg

My oldest has gotten a habit of climbing into our bed. After he falls back asleep I carry him back to his room. This time, when I go to close my bedroom door while carrying him, I slammed the door over toe. This is after cleaning it up and icing it on and off for an hour. I’ll be walking around in flippy floppies for a week I’m guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk