Over seeding cerial rye.

My clover is up and my radishes are up . It has been 2 weeks and the deer are on it all day long. I wanted to wait 2 more weeks to put the rye on but I think the deer are going to wipe  out every thing.

We have rain coming Wednesday.  I was wondering if I should overseed the plot  or wait .

Also.. when overseading  do I just spread it  and let it go . Not sure what is the proper method is . Disking or driving over I don't think is an option as far as damaging my clover and radish.  What do you guys do ?

• Like 1

Cereal rye seed and winter rye are the same thing, aren't they ??

I never planted it but I'm considering buying  bag to fill in any bare /thin spots in my winter wheat when it comes up..

Turkeys may be a problem for me, too..They were on my wheat/clover plot yesterday less than an hour after I finished planting it..

Spread it as close to rain as possible, it keeps the turkeys from getting too much of the seed. And i like to spread on the heavy side as not all of it will germinate. But yes, just broadcast it where you want it, and rain and dews will help the seed get started.. Turkeys scoop seeds quick, especially on fresh dirt.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Cereal rye seed and winter rye are the same thing, aren't they ??

I never planted it but I'm considering buying  bag to fill in any bare /thin spots in my winter wheat when it comes up..

Turkeys may be a problem for me, too..They were on my wheat/clover plot yesterday less than an hour after I finished planting it..

Cereal rye and winter rye are the same as far as I know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I got up to my property after work and put down the rye seed. Now please let it rain ... had 2 does walk into the plot as I  was loading up to leave . Since Saturday  i have had 17 different deer  on camera . All small bucks .. does and fawns . I didn't see  5 deer last year during season.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Well I got up to my property after work and put down the rye seed. Now please let it rain ... had 2 does walk into the plot as I  was loading up to leave . Since Saturday  i have had 17 different deer  on camera . All small bucks .. does and fawns . I didn't see  5 deer last year during season.

I'll ask The Mermaid  to do a rain dance...She's part Indian....Actually she has an Indian name.. Five horses....Nag, nag nag nag nag...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Depending on how soon the cold gets here i have read rye can go in as late as October.  

40 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I have been trying to get back up to 9j to put down some rye and wheat for 4 weeks. I might need to take a day off to do it at this rate weekends have been busy with family stuff. How late do you guys think is to late to over seed my clover and brassicas.

Just checked my rain gauge after a day of light rain/drizzle.. Two tenths of an inch...That is a significant amount as far as germinating a new plot goes...And it came slow and easy, rather than a sudden downpour...

I think we go lucky, Tracker !!

• Like 1

Just spread a bag in the rain in corn the coon and deer and squirrels tore down already 5 yard s wide and close to 40 yards long, tried to fill in again where turkeys picked it so bad , though a lot Is still coming there  i hope it fills in a bit thicker.

Not that I can say I don't have coons but I don't get pictures of them on my cell cams. Then again I don't have corn .

A buddy from work says he has something  in his corn that's  pulling it all into piles and eating it . I told him its a bear. Only animal I have ever seen do that. They will wipe out alot of corn in a hurry .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I have been trying to get back up to 9j to put down some rye and wheat for 4 weeks. I might need to take a day off to do it at this rate weekends have been busy with family stuff. How late do you guys think is to late to over seed my clover and brassicas.

You can plant wheat and Rye up into early October.. but the later you plant you need to hope warm weather stays on your side a tad longer to get the extra growth.. October planted it will only get a few inches tall. Mid to late September Rye or wheat plantings will be just fine. and will be about perfect for height.. 6-8in tall. I wouldn't mess around with late planting of oats.. it will get a couple inches tall and then the first frost would kill it. If your seeding into brassicas, you wont want to seed very heavy unless they are growing really well.. Brassicas dont like competition.. Too thick of a seeding will stunt your big leaf plants 

Just my results but I used white tail inst oats last year where still green last weekend of rifle with snow on ground, now I know WI says they are more cold tolerant then other oats some "special oat" and i guess they are but they worked great for the whole season,,,,,

On 9/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Nytracker said:

Not that I can say I don't have coons but I don't get pictures of them on my cell cams. Then again I don't have corn .

A buddy from work says he has something  in his corn that's  pulling it all into piles and eating it . I told him its a bear. Only animal I have ever seen do that. They will wipe out alot of corn in a hurry .

A bear for sure...

4 hours ago, land 1 said:

Just my results but I used white tail inst oats last year where still green last weekend of rifle with snow on ground, now I know WI says they are more cold tolerant then other oats some "special oat" and i guess they are but they worked great for the whole season,,,,,

I agree about the WI oats. Used them last year and did again this year in a different plot. Green and going strong late into the season. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:31 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Spread it as close to rain as possible, it keeps the turkeys from getting too much of the seed. And i like to spread on the heavy side as not all of it will germinate. But yes, just broadcast it where you want it, and rain and dews will help the seed get started.. Turkeys scoop seeds quick, especially on fresh dirt.. 

Took 3 days but the turkey found it .8b7f83e0-b431-414c-9d19-216f9189160e_137465768543028.jpg.867409979da257785510c231ebabc36b.jpg