blackbeltbill

Should A Bowhunter In A Treestand Call Out To An Approaching Small Game Hunter?

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

As a NYS hunting instructor, I usually "advise" the students to let other hunters you encounter, know of your presence. As a courtesy, and for safety reasons. A simple wave of an orange hat, or a whistle, let's "both" hunters on the same page. And the approaching hunter, should whenever possible, give a wide berth to the hunter already there. This is covered in hunting ethics. As far as I know, there is no "law" about this. But a little common courtesy goes a long ways.

I agree-- a simple Whistle works wonders. The message is clear even if you don't see the Hunter in the Treestand at that point.  The Location of the " Whistle" is known right away. 

Give a wide berth and change directions in search of Squirrels or Woodcock.  I have been Whistled at many times during Spring Turkey Season. Usually at a Open Highline as, I appear there or arriving at a Field. 

I Turn and go elsewhere.

I would call out as I hunt private properties . If another person that I don't recognize is there , he doesn't belong . Two properties are private with specific hunters . Another is a shared property . I didn't get to be 79 years old by being stupid . ( Well , not too stupid ) 

• Like 1

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Any hunter....usually should make sure another is at least aware of him. A whistle will do the job, or just a slow wave of your hat. Bow or gun, small game hunting or not I will allways cautiously signal them unless they are moving away .

I always get there attention by whistling. I don't want them to spot movement without hearing a whistle first. All the land I hunt is open or public, so I am used to seeing other people at times. I usually wave them over and shoot the bull with them comparing what we have seen. 

Back a good 20 years when, I was still a member of the Monroe- Chester Sportsman's Club, I was Fall Turkey Hunting on Gun Club Leased Land in Bloomingrove.  There are 2 parking areas on this Land. I always parked at the much less used one so, I could hunt the Hardwoods + open Conifer area . Many Fields on the other side of this Leased Land and , I parked there to Pheasant Hunt.

On this Late October Day, I was the 1st to park at the much less used parking area. A Trail led uphill for a good 1/2 Mile and at this point-- another Trail cut South and Towards and Through a High Line that was heavy with Briars Patches.  My Fav Open Conifer area for Fall Turkey Hunting was just beyond the Tangle of Briars. 

After sitting and slowly walking Through the Conifers + Calling for a good 3 Hours with no results on this Fall Day, I decided to call it a Day.   Back through the Trail, I walked and Lo + Behold- a Bowhunter was set up about 8 Feet High and Directly over the Trail. I saw him first and called out.  

That was my only way out at that particular part of this Leased Land. My only other option was to walk the Highline Through the Briar Patches and Probably Cut my Hands,Neck, + Face.  That was not happening.  

The Bowhunter was not too happy about me moving through the Trail and literally under him .