New to Hunting

HunterIQ

Hi everyone!!

This is Norman.I am new to hunting.i got my. 270 Tikka Rifle last year but not able to hunt. i live in Upstate, Buffalo,NY.

I really want to hunt and want to know where should i start hunting as i do not know any hunter around my area.

Any help with information will highly appreciated from senior members.    

• Like 1

Welcome! It is never too early to get out scouting. Contact your local DEC office for state lands in areas near you, or where you want to hunt. They used to have alot of handlouts and flyers showcasing areas. Get a NYS Gazeteer map book. It is a big map book of the state. It does show in general state lands to help you get started. Learn how to use a compass (to get you in and out of the woods) and get your gun sighted early...the ranges get very busy pretty soon. Squirrel season is a great time to start scouting...and it started on the first. 

• Thanks 1

Make sure to practice with your weapon. Have all your classes and licences and review the regs book. There are lots of good resources on tips and pointers online for sure. Also lots of good videos and youtube videos on hunting styles and such. Make sure to plan for what you will do if successful as well.

Good luck and be safe.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a scope on the .270 for most woods hunting I would recommend 100 yards. I also use a .270 and would recommend a mid to high expansion rate bullet as I was using Remington corelokt and at 100 yards and in have no expansion and only leave very small holes and little to no blood. I have always had them drop fairly quickly but I am going to try Remington premier accutips this year as I would like a blood trail if I had to track one.

• Like 1

I will be following this thread for hints. My hunting buddy and myself have been asked by a mutual friend to make him into a deer hunter. He (and his wife) are mainly interested in getting a deer or two every year for venison. Should not be hard but neither or us have had to think about how to hunt. We grew up doing it. He has about 150 acres of brushy land with lots of apples to the south of one of my leases with lots of deer. will be able to get him a 6K permit in addition to his buck license. Need to chill him out and make him calm. He wants to use his .44 magnum lever gun which should be o.k. if we emphasis shot placement. so I will be following the thoughts and ideas here to see what obvious instruction we have overlooked.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:23 PM, HunterIQ said:

Hi everyone!!

This is Norman.I am new to hunting.i got my. 270 Tikka Rifle last year but not able to hunt. i live in Upstate, Buffalo,NY.

I really want to hunt and want to know where should i start hunting as i do not know any hunter around my area.

Any help with information will highly appreciated from senior members.    

Start with a license.  You have that, no?

What scope does your gun have? Bullets?

You've shot it yet?

Plenty of state land to hunt in the area, you are fortunate. 

And DaveBoone had a good comment about using the NYS Atlas and Gazetteer (published by DeLorme). Lots of natural resources proffesionals have one right by their desks and can give you good leads over the phone if you both have one in hand. you might want to talk to the foresters that are in charge of the different State Forests, they have the best knowlege of each area.

• Like 1

Do a search for Rod and Gun clubs in your area that you may be able to join, usually there will be something within reasonable driving distance. If there happens to be an active club close by it would give you a great start as most will have a shooting range, hunter's and gun safety courses and of course members that are hunters that will help you get pointed in the right direction.

I did a quick google search and there were several that came up, how well run and active they are I can not say as I am not familiar with the area so you will have to do some investigating.

Al

2020-09-02_200809.png

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Start with a license.  You have that, no?

What scope does your gun have? Bullets?

You've shot it yet?

Plenty of state land to hunt in the area, you are fortunate. 

Yes i did my hunting education course

I fired my gun last year few times

I use Winchester bullets 

2 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Do you have a scope on the .270 for most woods hunting I would recommend 100 yards. I also use a .270 and would recommend a mid to high expansion rate bullet as I was using Remington corelokt and at 100 yards and in have no expansion and only leave very small holes and little to no blood. I have always had them drop fairly quickly but I am going to try Remington premier accutips this year as I would like a blood trail if I had to track one.

I have scope on it and the gun shoop did the sighting when i bought.but it seems somehow sight is not aiming Ther target properly..i will have to fix that  

1 hour ago, HunterIQ said:

I have scope on it and the gun shoop did the sighting when i bought.but it seems somehow sight is not aiming Ther target properly..i will have to fix that  

Most gun shops will bore sight it to get it on paper you will have to do some adjusting. If you are on paper at 50 yards work you way back to your desired sight in yardage making adjustments Than I would work your way back to what you think you maximum yardage you can ethically kill a animal at this is a learned skill so don’t push it past your ability’s than I would work your way back in to 50 yards and all along keeping notes on how high or low you are. Bullet do not travel in a flat trajectory like one would think. I would recommend a range find purchase if feasible to do this and to start to learn yardages. But I have only been doing this for 6 or so years and another member here may have a better and/or easier method.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH