What's your hunting philosophy

cdbing

We are approaching the seaon opener and I wondered what others have a guiding philosophy or motto that sums up their approach. For example, I've read some poters express "keep it simple", "if it ain't broke don't fix it", "safety first", "practice makes perfect", "shoot what you like, like what you shoot", "learn from your mistakes", etc., etc.

One might hold many guiding principles, but that's not the question for this "assignment" you must choose just one that is your north star. Mine is "continuous improvement". What's yours?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I intend to have fun and enjoy myself....I want to get a deer or two for the freezer, and I prefer not to shoot fawns, because a fawn takes nearly as long to process as an adult deer, but you only get about half as much meat....Other than that, any adult deer is fair game to me..I do like to pull the trigger... 

I told a non hunting friend today how much $$$ I had invested in my food plot...He told me that I could buy a lot of meat for that amount..I replied " It's not about the money"....Being an avid fisherman, he agreed...

• Like 3

Enjoy my time in the woods. If I see deer, that's a plus! To get a mature buck would be phenomenal, but not expected! Don't get OCD about having success with the sport, it is suppose to be fun, relaxing & entertaining.When I was still working, there was no better therapy after 5 mentally grueling days at work than to sit in the woods staring at nothing and having no expectations!

As you can tell, I'm not a meat hunter, but back in the day I was expected to fill the freezer. So I can identify with those of you who hunt strictly for the meat!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

For me, the longest season is the happiest season. It would  break my heart to fill my freezer early and not be able to enjoy the rest of the seasons changes. My best season I get a good meat deer early, and have my buck /doe tag to let me enjoy the woods until the last day of the season. Although I will not pass on the big antlered buck, as more time goes by if a younger buck is offered I am much happier taking him for the better eating. 

• Like 1

Worst day of hunting is better then the best day of work.
Unless it's the worst due to a lost deer or a missed monster. But by and large hunting is way better than being cooped up in an office

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton