What's your hunting philosophy

cdbing

The "shoot what you like, like what you shoot" saying is mine. I say that to  other hunters often enough. Too many times, I've heard hunters critical of others for shooting a doe or small bucks. Or making an excuse themselves, for not shooting a wall hanger. Why?

That just isn't right! Every deer is a trophy, and something to be proud of. We all hunt for different reasons. Be proud of every deer you kill. If the deer isn't what you want, let it walk and wait for one that is. Or shoot the first legal deer you get a chance at, and put delicious venison in the freezer. There is no right or wrong deer to shoot. You decide for yourself. It's all good.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, grampy said:

The "shoot what you like, like what you shoot" saying is mine. I say that to  other hunters often enough. Too many times, I've heard hunters critical of others for shooting a doe or small bucks. Or making an excuse themselves, for not shooting a wall hanger. Why?

That just isn't right! Every deer is a trophy, and something to be proud of. We all hunt for different reasons. Be proud of every deer you kill. If the deer isn't what you want, let it walk and wait for one that is. Or shoot the first legal deer you get a chance at, and put delicious venison in the freezer. There is no right or wrong deer to shoot. You decide for yourself. It's all good.

I'm out of likes, but can't like this enough.

• Thanks 1

Along same line of thinking and from the same source

"In fact, the only man who truly thinks is the one who, when faced with a problem, instead of looking straight ahead, toward what habit, tradition, the commonplace and mental inertia would make one assume, keeps himself alert, ready to accept the fact that the solution might spring from the least forseeable spot on the great rotundity of the horizon."

(Ortega y Gasset)

• Confused 1

Keep hunting fun. I don't care if you sit an hour and go home, sit all day, drive the woods with your buddies, or still hunt. Whatever you enjoy, do it. It's your fun and don't let others' opinions ruin it.

I don't put nearly the time in that i used to. Instead of killing a nice buck every two or three years, I get one every 4-5 years now. Doesn't change my life or change the fact that others want my opinion and/or help when they have a nice one they are hunting. I just relax and enjoy myself.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Downstate Dud said:

Along same line of thinking and from the same source

"In fact, the only man who truly thinks is the one who, when faced with a problem, instead of looking straight ahead, toward what habit, tradition, the commonplace and mental inertia would make one assume, keeps himself alert, ready to accept the fact that the solution might spring from the least forseeable spot on the great rotundity of the horizon."

(Ortega y Gasset)

download.jpeg.jpg

My philosophy is to go mono e mono with a buck worth shooting in the big woods. Doing it my way on their turf is what I live for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to be in a stand and you push that buck past me and I kill him. Then by the unwritten laws of outdoors sportsmanship you begrudgingly help me drag him out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1