LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

1 hour ago, Belo said:

you and your cryptic posts! What'd ya get?

Wolc special ! Haven’t seen such tiny backstraps in sometime ! But they’ll taste great . When we drive any safe shot is taken , we don’t walk an hour through mud to let small ones walk. Well that’s not correct , THIS YEAR that apples .lol

With 30# from Joes buck and some of his Elk , we’re ok meat wise now .

Ill be out again late season . No slick heads this time .

DA829CDE-4D05-4331-A045-94008AF90341.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Wolc special ! Haven’t seen such tiny backstraps in sometime ! But they’ll taste great . When we drive any safe shot is taken , we don’t walk an hour through mud to let small ones walk.

oh my bad, i thought you got yet another. congrats!

• Like 1

haha, that's fair 
Wolc special ! Haven’t seen such tiny backstraps in sometime ! But they’ll taste great . When we drive any safe shot is taken , we don’t walk an hour through mud to let small ones walk.
DA829CDE-4D05-4331-A045-94008AF90341.thumb.jpeg.2b7d28e64d194ac3fdee502bd3f4e9aa.jpeg
The small backstraps taste awesome......little bionic cow rub......high heat.....and serve!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Wolc special ! Haven’t seen such tiny backstraps in sometime ! But they’ll taste great . When we drive any safe shot is taken , we don’t walk an hour through mud to let small ones walk. Well that’s not correct , THIS YEAR that apples .lol

Those tiny backstraps are perfect size to wrap in bacon, the one pictured is from a larger deer where I cut the backstraps  in half and wrapped in bacon, smoked over applewood. Amazing!!! Those little gems you have there are just the right size.

20201215_122546.jpg

• Like 5

Hit some DEP land near me and came across some tracks. Followed to a brushy area and bolted two does. They ran for 30 yards or so and stopped. I dropped down and crept in but the lead doe took off. The second hung and I shouldered my gun against a sapling. She was behind some trees so I could only see her head and a bit of neck. Wasn't feeling that shot so I waited but as I resettled, I snapped a twig and she ran.

That little 30 minute track and moment felt great.

• Like 3

Nothing to report.. no deer no turkeys not even a squirrel.  Set for 2 hours. Had to get home change tire on tractor. Remove the mowing deck put on the loader. Get diesel and gas  run the snowblower.. take trailer back to BIL.

Having lunch and coffee... then off to MIL. To check her snow blower . Then I have to get home cleaned up dressed for service. 

I'm out of thank you's... 

• Like 1

Zip, zero & NADA in East Aurora this morning for me.  It was tough talking myself into going but I was thankful I did even with the blank.  Never even saw a squirrel!  But.....the season is winding down quickly and it felt great to be on stand for a bit.

• Like 2

The wind is just steady enough to shake some stubborn dry leaves in the trees; plus all the chickadees organizing themselves for the impending snow has me twitchier than Henry Hill trying to get Lois off to the airport as his brother stirs the sauce.
3S bow only-37 with 10 mph from the NW. let’s see if a doe and her fawns will circle back or if a local 10 or 8 is looking for a “last dance”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well,i did find tracks very quickly. I followed them for a while and may have caught up with the deer since they turned into running tracks. So i veered off and worked my way to my favorite north south ridge. I forgot who mentioned it,maybe @G-Man. Zig zag across the ridge. I have seen does bedded on the windy side before,so i gave it a go. No deer on the windy side,so i zagged over to the other side and peeked over. I caught movement and froze. A doe about 45 yds from me,behind some blowdowns. Then i see another,and a third. It is really thick with fallen trees so i kept scanning and trying to figure out how big they are. Well one starts circling to get downwind of me,and another watches her and follows slowly. Another is watching me from further down the hill. I decided no.2 is big enough and shoot her at about 60 yds before i get busted,and a whole bunch of does run off. 

This one made it 80 yds or so,the shot was a little further forward than intended,i think i was afraid of a tree and some brush that hid the back half of the doe.

I am very happy i got her,what a season i have had. It has been years since i got three deer,and this was my first two buck season as well.

20201215_134248.jpg

• Like 39

56 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Busted out the boot blankets today! Very cozy sit for 25, feels like 18

boot blankets.jpg

I've been deer hunting since 1979 and sat thru some bitter cold days but I don't think I've ever needed anything close to these Herman Munster shoes that you are wearing.  LOL

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Well,i did find tracks very quickly. I followed them for a while and may have caught up with the deer since they turned into running tracks. So i veered off and worked my way to my favorite north south ridge. I forgot who mentioned it,maybe @G-Man. Zig zag across the ridge. I have seen does bedded on the windy side before,so i gave it a go. No deer on the windy side,so i zagged over to the other side and peeked over. I caught movement and froze. A doe about 45 yds from me,behind some blowdowns. Then i see another,and a third. It is really thick with fallen trees so i kept scanning and trying to figure out how big they are. Well one starts circling to get downwind of me,and another watches her and follows slowly. Another is watching me from further down the hill. I decided no.2 is big enough and shoot her at about 60 yds before i get busted,and a whole bunch of does run off. 

This one made it 80 yds or so,the shot was a little further forward than intended,i think i was afraid of a tree and some brush that hid the back half of the doe.

I am very happy i got her,what a season i have had. It has been years since i got three deer,and this was my first two buck season as well.

20201215_134248.jpg

Congrats Mike.  Nice doe and love still hunts , sounds like it was fun.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic