LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

17 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Well, that puts a cap on the 2020 season for me. Not the most successful season I’ve ever had, but it was my first season hunting New York. I had a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and can even say that I killed a deer on my first hunt in New York with my bow kill. I appreciate all of the advice I’ve received on the forum, and am looking forward to next season. 

So with your first NY season under your belt, tell us what differences you noted coming from Illinois (IIRC).

27 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So with your first NY season under your belt, tell us what differences you noted coming from Illinois (IIRC).

Way fewer deer, and a total switch in tactics due to food sources. Where I grew up hunting in Illinois, there’s probably a 4-1 ratio of crop fields to woods, and that gets flip on its head here. It was never much of a problem to find a travel corridor between food source (fields) and bedding.  If you could station yourself in between, you could pretty much take a deer every day. Some of my stands, you could almost set your watch by when deer would come through. You can compare the photos, one is a section I used to hunt on my in-laws farm, and the other is the area that I am currently hunting.

I’ve never been skunked so much as I have in New York, but I think it’s just a lot harder to pattern these deer. It really is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. 

As far as gun season goes, the almost month long season is the biggest change. In Illinois, there are 2 weekend long gun seasons, with an additional weekend for Muzzleloader, and a late season weekend antlerless only. Bow season runs through January and is only called off during gun seasons. These shorter gun seasons get the deer moving for a weekend, and then they settle down in between. This long gun/muzzleloader season is a marathon rather than a sprint like the gun seasons I grew up with. 

01BCDFDA-3732-4C09-A5D8-F64BC6BE80A8.png

9C0B50C7-CA22-493B-93B4-913CC911013D.png

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well they beat me.  Done for the year the chase was challenging this year but fun.  Very grateful for my 8pt during bow.   Missed a buck during gun on the run and almost had a chance yesterday.  It was a successful enough season for me.  There will be changes as normal for next year but not worrying about that now. 

As of right now my groups total on the entire year

Bow: 2 bucks,1 doe

Gun: 5 does

Ml: 1 buck

2 bucks on stateland, 2 does on stateland so pretty typical year for us.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

We’ve got 45” of snow, im Not hunting deer in this there stressed enough. 
I just pulled my doe outa the smoker from last weekend , smells amazing, it was rubbed with salt first. She’s an ice cube now tho lol.

Wait, your doe has been in the smoker for a week?  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3

Dont sleep on the mid day people , i saw doe on their feet at noon and 2 oclock  while dragging out

All the deer I have seen the past 2 weeks have been between 10 and 2 I have one at about 80 right now In the thick stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

there’s probably a 4-1 ratio of crop fields to woods, and that gets flip on its head here.

Thanks for the report ,always interesting to hear about other states .

Where I hunt it’s probably at least 10-1 crops to woods/ thickets . Some one called my woods, “ the big woods” it’s maybe 30 acres hardwoods and 20 or so thickets . The farm is 3,000 acres . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Thanks for the report ,always interesting to hear about other states .

Where I hunt it’s probably at least 10-1 crops to woods/ thickets . Some one called my woods, “ the big woods” it’s maybe 30 acres hardwoods and 20 or so thickets . The farm is 3,000 acres . 

I knew you hunted the IA of NY!    

• Like 1

Im walking around looking for tracks to see if I want to sit here when a young buck and a doe run out . They’re watching their back trail .

Edit two bucks ones a little spike 

8BCC9B1E-CB5B-4C20-B8A7-85D384DF88EA.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Dammit @moog let him Borrow a muzzle loader and get that dang xbow outta his hands! We need late season success.....not sightings.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

He is welcome if not concerned about COVID contamination.   Stop on by!   Larry should own one but never is hunting for a buck this late.  

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic