LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Thanks......start a new thread....may keep us entertained through the holidays!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’m just going to post it here. Don’t want to make a huge deal out of it other than just a facet of the sport.

AE8A0673-D9F5-4B8C-8220-BEB3844F58E8.png

1C1C0DC8-105E-40B5-8B0D-BBCEF95E3D88.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No internet all weekend,  so I'm just getting caught up. Sorry I missed the hunt at Greg's but with all this Covid crap I didn't want to chance it.  So I  hunted Angelica with a friend just 2 of us doing small 2 man drives. Saw a nice sized doe bedded so I  put a stalk on, as I was trying to get close I see her standing and looking right at me. So I put the scope on her and fire. Well somehow she magically transformed into a bb! Sorry  Wolc but the land oysters stayed in the gut pile! 

20201219_094824.jpg

20201219_103159.jpg

• Like 25

End of regular and MZ has been fun but somewhat of a disappointment despite filling some tags. My hunting partner and I each put down deer that had been injured from a prior shot - one gun and one bow/xbow. It put a damper on the end of a great, fun season, but in the end we were thankful to be there to do the right thing.
I ended up putting down a great up and comer two year old 9 point; after watching him try to cross a plot and me trying process what was going on with him, I had only a few seconds to make the decision due to cover and did. Felt very questionable post-shot (shot was good) if I did the right thing, but upon inspection it verified what I saw and bow/xbow injury. I won't go into detail but the deer was partially paralyzed in the rear legs and the wound site was getting worse with infection. Rough smell, too. Real rough. I'm sure I could have gotten a replacement/salvage tag but it is what it is and I had already had a good season and my desire to take another was all but gone after that.
Same property a few days later a BB shows up on cam with a wound that defies logic and biology. A cantaloupe size hole with two exposed parts of the shoulder, one being a big section of the paddle. My hunting partner set up to get him and it only took 30 minutes as this BB was staying tight to a 50 yard area with water/cover/food as we got piles of pics of him overnight and the AM. That deer was hit with a 100% kill shot with a slug or MZ and somehow it just didn't have the energy to get into the chest. The hole was drilled maybe a touch forward but any reasonable hunter would look at that and go, that's a DRT shot. No tracking needed. But, alas, the initial shot tore the hide off to the size of a cantaloupe. The hole from the projectile was clear and the shoulder and leg bone probably had 6-8" sq. of clear exposure to the elements. This little guy was trying his best to make it, even trying to eat, but the bone and meat was turning necrotic. He could only go 20 yards before bedding each time for a few minutes and it took a few of those circuits for it to be clear enough for my partner to get a lane.
Neither of us felt great about these encounters and I am impressed with their will to survive. A part of me always wants to give them the chance to make it, but even when you KNOW they won't, it still feels like shit when you do what you have to, removing any of that chance actually happening.
Unfortunately, we have a history of encounters with injured deer here and a strong propensity for two year olds being high shot with a bolt or arrow leading me to think it's the same person. This marks the fourth two year old since 2013 with a high bow shot that we have A, put down, B. Found dead shed hunting with the arrow/bolt, and/or C. Got pics of with the bolt/arrow still in it. Add to that this BB and one other doe that was also high shot. 
On a positive note, we have this one-sided spike with velvet (maybe 4-5 inches). We think it might be a doe. Anyhow, on October 1, when the season began, this was the first deer I saw from the stand. Last evening, for my final sit, I saw only one deer, that one-sided spike with velvet. She/He/It fed on the plot as the sun set and I watched it with the binos for a while. Started and finished the season with the same deer. Doubt that will ever happen again. Pretty neat.

High shot sounds like a tree stand hunter who only practices from the ground, if at all and isn’t accounting for angle.

BB might be a 20 gauge or .223? Both capable, especially on a small deer but not ideal at distance?

Able to salvage any of the meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

My buddy took a young buck last week with a Savage 220 at 100 yards. Was using a 3" remington accutip. Did some damage and didn't go far. e1e53b46621e3ce6ad729d80f1b178b9.jpg

Anyone in a shotgun only area that does not have a Savage 220 should invest on one..   It is scary how accurate they are and the knock down power is very impressive.

• Like 3

Developing situation at our lease.....got a call from my Dad who was going for the afternoon watch.....the neighbor is finally cutting his corn. Could be the game changer we were hoping for......kinda like xmas came a little early today!

My favorite set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You like to eat landlocks? Smoking them?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

IMHO, landlocks are quite good broiled, smoked or canned    Better than lake trout and  FAR better than lake  run  browns, which taste like crap, unlike stream browns, which aren't as good as brookies, but aren't too bad.....

• Like 3

IMHO, landlocks are quite good broiled, smoked or canned    Better than lake trout and  FAR better than lake  run  browns, which taste like crap, unlike stream browns, which aren't as good as brookies, but aren't too bad.....
Interesting. I've come to always throw trout back as I haven't tasted one I liked, other than I keep 3 lake salmon a year to smoke it's more fun catching them to me. I live pretty close to Oneida lake so I guess walleyes and perch are far easier on the taste buds to me.

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Interesting. I've come to always throw trout back as I haven't tasted one I liked, other than I keep 3 lake salmon a year to smoke it's more fun catching them to me. I live pretty close to Oneida lake so I guess walleyes and perch are far easier on the taste buds to me.

I hear you....My good fishing buddy Handsome Howie won't eat any trout or salmon either, but stocks his freezer with walleyes, perch,  and panfish ( including bullheads)  plus smallmouth bass..

I consider wild brookies the very best tasting trout, followed  by wild stream browns...  I don't eat many, however, because I hate to kill them, but I usually eat a few each year because they taste so good...I like landlocks the best of any lake salmonoids...Never cared much for rainbows, although I do like smoked steelhead, as long as they are fresh run...However,  probably the best trout I ever ate was leopard rainbows in Alaska  cooked in foil on the coals of the campfire on several moose and caribou hunts... Of course the surroundings may have affected my taste buds on those hunts...

• Like 4

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic