LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

47 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

0b33f9c9fbe36855aed9ce6db7d76b28.jpg
No mess at all, pull breech dump powder out back door and proceed with normal cleaning. Way less than a 5 minute job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this is what I used to do when using pellets on my Knight Disk muzzleloader.  Now I shoot a smokeless Savage ML II.  If I unload via the backdoor I find powder granuales get stuck in the grease in the threads and it's a pain to get them out.  So now I just discharge it and clean it.

Yes, this is what I used to do when using pellets on my Knight Disk muzzleloader.  Now I shoot a smokeless Savage ML II.  If I unload via the backdoor I find powder granuales get stuck in the grease in the threads and it's a pain to get them out.  So now I just discharge it and clean it.

I don’t use any grease on breech plug, I don’t like adding any moisture where it’s not needed!

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No mess at all, pull breech dump powder out back door and proceed with normal cleaning. Way less than a 5 minute job.

The problem I had with the loose powder was that it would stick to the gorrila grease that I use on the breech plug threads.  That dont happen with the pellets, and they can be reused on the target range.

Cleanup with 777 pellets has got a lot easier for me, since I started using foaming bore cleaner and a bore snake. 

Edited by wolc123

The problem I had with the loose powder was that it would stick to the gorrila grease that I use on the breech plug threads.  That dont happen with the pellets, and they can be reused on the target range.
Cleanup with 777 pellets has got a lot easier for me, since I started using foaming bore cleaner and a bore snake. 

I don’t understand the grease? It’s an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist.

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t understand the grease? It’s an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist.

The instruction manual for my T/C Omega recommends using it.  I suspect its purpose is to reduce corrosion.  That said, corrosion is surely a lesser concern with Blackhorn 209 powder than it is with black powder, pyrodex, or 777.  

The convenience of the pellets, coupled with ease of cleanup with foaming bore cleaner, will likely keep me using 777 for the next few seasons.  My current supply is nearly expended, but I will definitely be buying some more prior to next season.

The instruction manual for my T/C Omega recommends using it.  I suspect its purpose is to reduce corrosion.  That said, corrosion is surely a lesser concern with Blackhorn 209 powder than it is with black powder, pyrodex, or 777.  
The convenience of the pellets, coupled with ease of cleanup with foaming bore cleaner, will likely keep me using 777 for the next few seasons.  My current supply is nearly expended, but I will definitely be buying some more prior to next season.

Even when I shot pellets I never used grease. The breech plugs only in the gun 2 months a year, how much corrosion can happen in 60 days?

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Even when I shot pellets I never used grease. The breech plugs only in the gun 2 months a year, how much corrosion can happen in 60 days?

I leave mine in year round and only remove it for cleaning.  I tend to loose little stuff like that, if I don't put it back where it belongs.

One year, I used my Ruger 10/22 as a single shot, because I misplaced the rotary clip.  Eventually, I bought a new one and soon after, I located the original. Now I keep one loaded with high velocity hollow points and the other with std velocity solids.

I also had to use my Matlin 512 slug gun as a single shot thru most of one season, because I dropped the clip into a ditch below a tree stand.  Fortunately, I found that also.  Good thing I did, because I have needed that quick second and third shot a few times in recent years. I prefer integral magazines over the detachable clips, because I consistently loose those damn things.

First duck hunt since October and I got this mallard x black duck hybrid. Got to my spot late because the check in system doesn’t start till 45 min before shooting time, so by the time I got down there, there were two ducks already at the blind.
I shot one, but I only loaded one shell so the other one got away. Didn’t see a single duck till I left and went to scour a few small public ponds. 2 were pretty much dried up, but the third had about 8-12 black ducks in them. I could have snuck around and maybe got a shot, but I left my waders at the car so I decided to call it a day. I’ll be back out next week. Probably to this pond I just found.

IMG_2710.jpgIMG_2708.jpg
  • Like 7

On 12/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

You're supposed to grease the breech plug according to the manual. Ive heard people say they never did and were fine, but ive also heard many people say they had a locked breech plug. Im sure if you clean it after every session or shot in the woods, youd be fine.

First duck hunt since October and I got this mallard x black duck hybrid. Got to my spot late because the check in system doesn’t start till 45 min before shooting time, so by the time I got down there, there were two ducks already at the blind.
I shot one, but I only loaded one shell so the other one got away. Didn’t see a single duck till I left and went to scour a few small public ponds. 2 were pretty much dried up, but the third had about 8-12 black ducks in them. I could have snuck around and maybe got a shot, but I left my waders at the car so I decided to call it a day. I’ll be back out next week. Probably to this pond I just found.

IMG_2710.thumb.jpg.57681039183c69448ef1ad15a78f4988.jpgIMG_2708.thumb.jpg.c5a7b511784b7ad9e15153cc347e4c19.jpg

If you ever want someone to go with let me know

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You're supposed to grease the breech plug according to the manual. Ive heard people say they never did and were fine, but ive also heard many people say they had a locked breech plug. Im sure if you clean it after every session or shot in the woods, youd be fine.

Same here, the manuals for both my Knight and Savage say to grease the threads, grease actually came with both.  I just follow the supplied directions.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chef said:

If you ever want someone to go with let me know

This is out on LI, not sure if you want to make the trek out here (low chance at success cause im not the best duck hunter lol). Next season though you're more than welcome to join me on the river I hunt in Ulster county. Ill have my dog trained up for it 

• Like 2

This is out on LI, not sure if you want to make the trek out here (low chance at success cause im not the best duck hunter lol). Next season though you're more than welcome to join me on the river I hunt in Ulster county. Ill have my dog trained up for it 

Me too! I know nothing but will throw in some $ for decoys or whatever you need to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Hell yea man. And like Tommy I’m down to throw in on what ever we need... I’m guessing this is the same river that you fish for smallies on the fly rod ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Me too! I know nothing but will throw in some $ for decoys or whatever you need to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive got the decoys so you don't have to worry about that. If you want to buy some, thats up to you, but if you dont want to, its ok. Just get the required licensing, a shotgun, steel shot and waders. Its good early in the season, but even better towards the end of deer season in december 

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic