LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

47 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Good for them, but this is the part I don't understand about migratory waterfowl regulations.  Why is is that the limit on birds is 2 in upstate NY, but the same birds can fly south and the limit is 10 per man?

6 birds

Ducks: The daily bag limit of ducks is 6 birds/day which may include no more than 4 mallards (no more than 2 of which may be a female), 3 wood ducks, 2 canvasbacks, 2 redheads, 2 black ducks, 1 pintail, and 1 mottled duck.

Still more than we are allowed but I imagine they are a much bigger flyway

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:
6 birds

Ducks: The daily bag limit of ducks is 6 birds/day which may include no more than 4 mallards (no more than 2 of which may be a female), 3 wood ducks, 2 canvasbacks, 2 redheads, 2 black ducks, 1 pintail, and 1 mottled duck.

Still more than we are allowed but I imagine they are a much bigger flyway

I just threw 10 out there, my point is you go to md, vi, de, any of these southern states and they are shooting the same birds and the bag limits are much more liberal.  It's the same with geese, we save them all so they can shoot them.

Since we are all required to bye a federal stamp to hunt them, I would think this should be federally controlled, not pieced by states.

Edited by Rack Attack

6 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

I just threw 10 out there, my point is you go to md, vi, de, any of these southern states and they are shooting the same birds and the bag limits are much more liberal.  It's the same with geese, we save them all so they can shoot them.

Since we are all required to bye a federal stamp to hunt them, I would think this should be federally controlled, not pieced by states.

Today, waterfowl regulations are drafted under the auspices of an international treaty, occur within federal frameworks established for each flyway, and are adjusted by states to account for migration timing and hunter preferences. At each level, recommendations and decisions are based on the best available science, more than a century of experience, and opportunities for public input. That's not to say that the transition from state-based waterfowl harvest management to a federal framework was easy. The first two decades of the 20th century saw considerable resistance from states' rights proponents, market hunters, and commercial shooting interests. But conservation-minded citizens and policymakers were persistent in their efforts to establish a unified approach to waterfowl management, and they ultimately prevailed.

It is federal. I agree with you. I still dont understand why we can only kill two mallards but they head further south and can be killed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Today, waterfowl regulations are drafted under the auspices of an international treaty, occur within federal frameworks established for each flyway, and are adjusted by states to account for migration timing and hunter preferences. At each level, recommendations and decisions are based on the best available science, more than a century of experience, and opportunities for public input. That's not to say that the transition from state-based waterfowl harvest management to a federal framework was easy. The first two decades of the 20th century saw considerable resistance from states' rights proponents, market hunters, and commercial shooting interests. But conservation-minded citizens and policymakers were persistent in their efforts to establish a unified approach to waterfowl management, and they ultimately prevailed.

It is federal. I agree with you. I still dont understand why we can only kill two mallards but they head further south and can be killed

It's just tough to put out a spread to shoot 2 mallards or two geese...

My wife cleared me to impromptu go hunt Ohio MZ....but I'm hesitating. Sheesh. I must be wore out or work stress kicking in (it's busy season), lol.
What's the setup? Private....public? Guided?
I am off this time of year and plan on heading to Ohio once my boys are older. Why not get in a little more hunting with the smoke pole.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What's the setup? Private....public? Guided?
I am off this time of year and plan on heading to Ohio once my boys are older. Why not get in a little more hunting with the smoke pole.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Effort/Cost vs reward. Alot of effort for minimal seat time (in my scenario) and cost is pretty high as I would need to buy Ohio tags.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, ATbuckhunter said:

I got a guy that makes amazing flies and he said he would make me like 100+ flies for 100 bucks. He donates the money to cancer research 

I have purchased a couple fly boxes from him over the years...although I tie my own, I couldn’t beat the price or the cause (and at the time, I didn’t have the time to tie what I needed).  I picked up an assortment box for a trip to the Snake River in Idaho a couple years ago and the last box I bought contained an assortment for the west branch of the Delaware (I listed the type, color, and size).  

• Like 1

I have purchased a couple fly boxes from him over the years...although I tie my own, I couldn’t beat the price or the cause (and at the time, I didn’t have the time to tie what I needed).  I picked up an assortment box for a trip to the Snake River in Idaho a couple years ago and the last box I bought contained an assortment for the west branch of the Delaware (I listed the type, color, and size).  

How was the quality of the flies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back at it 3S...35degress and pretty mild considering the predicted 10-16mph winds. Only 1 enemy to overcome today

baeef7a8ab1635685d2a7365e4fad1f1.jpg&key=66fe9f9a470dbfcd1e7ff4fbe42faf1466a1563dc32231de9ff7e09be5c0c2b9

Bright as day walking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still chilly. Currently rocking some kuiu long johns and kuiu base shirt thing and some amazing darn tough socks I got for Xmas. Making a world of difference. I'm just a sissy when it comes to cold. And true still relatively mild far as wind is concerned

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic