LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I come down we are going out for eider! One for the wall then we can limit out on puddle ducks to eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm glad there isnt so many different deer as there are ducks. 

Last I knew all the small ones were ducks and the big ones were geese. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Been a while since i been here. Things have been crazy. 

I just got permission to hunt a spot on the extreme East end of the Island that is known for an over abundance of deer! Not many hunters, not many vehicles to take them out either and large pieces of private land. Not to mention I was asked to help out with a DMP for the same area.

Gonna do some scouting tomorrow, then my first sit on Sunday. Totally stoked!!

Duh i meant a nuisance permit.

43 degrees in 3N with 18-20mph winds. I’m heading in around 245pm to check cams and do some predator calling. I got no fancy predator lights, so I’ll hunt with the shotgun until I can’t see anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

It’s finally here!! Opening day of shotgun here on the island. Looking forward to using my Savage. Up getting ready. It’s an hour and 20 min drive to get to my parking spot out East. I’m gonna be set up on a point on a ridge with a valley on almost 3 sides in front of me, flat plateau behind. When I scouted it yesterday, I kicked up a total of seven deer, at 1pm! First a doe, then a decent buck with 3 doe, then 2 more doe. And I’m told this is a morning spot. Since I already have plenty of meat in the freezer, I am strictly head hunting today. I’m also told there are some big non typicals in there. Very excited. Cell service is spotty out there but I hope to be able to post some pics of my spot. Good luck to those able to make it out today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just made it home. Today didn’t turn out as anticipated. I never have any luck hunting before an incoming rain storm. I’m not sure why. The falling barometric pressure? The smell of the coming rain? Who knows? Not me. 

I saw the 2 bucks as i got there and then 2 doe and that’s it. The guy that gave me permission to hunt there was surprised that I didn’t see a dozen by 8am in that spot! 

Oh well. Better luck next weekend I hope. 

• Like 4

Went out for my last long island shotgun hunt took a [very]small doe.It was nice to check out the area for one last time before I leave this island for good. All the places I've hunted in 30+ years none compare to the east end of long island even if the hunting isn't the same the woods will always be beautiful.This time next year I'll be starting a new chapter in my life in the ADK's looking forward to learning how to hunt the big woods.

• Like 12

Went out for my last long island shotgun hunt took a [very]small doe.It was nice to check out the area for one last time before I leave this island for good. All the places I've hunted in 30+ years none compare to the east end of long island even if the hunting isn't the same the woods will always be beautiful.This time next year I'll be starting a new chapter in my life in the ADK's looking forward to learning how to hunt the big woods.

Good luck on the new adventures life will be bringing you in 2021.
Keep us updated and if you have time start a journal about your time in the big woods! Always fun reading on here how differently everyone hunts.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Spent a few hours scouting the new property and then proceeded to delete my OnX track... ugh.

I still marked some spots and I have that mental plan forming, but man does OnX help you scout more efficiently.

Brought the .22 but didn’t see any bushy tails. I’m thinking the sunny day yesterday woulda been better but oh well.

ef4e9369e869c940a408daa198a87152.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

Spent a few hours scouting the new property and then proceeded to delete my OnX track... ugh.

I still marked some spots and I have that mental plan forming, but man does OnX help you scout more efficiently.

Brought the .22 but didn’t see any bushy tails. I’m thinking the sunny day yesterday woulda been better but oh well.

Did you come across any rut sign from this season? 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Sharp looking rig there. 

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic