LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

It’s been a pretty crappy 10 days in the Moho house so this afternoon I told everyone to get dressed and we where headed out to hit the local trail through the woods. Spotted 7 deer in one area they didn’t care we where there just watched us for a while then went back to eating. I could have sat down and watched them for hours. It was some much needed time outside.
1ee8ec0ce48e6a9d58fadbda0134374b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 16

14 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's a heck of a rub! Fresh to boot!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

there were at least 3 wall mounters on this property and I have picks of all 3 post season. There are a bunch of other nice shooters that made it. I've learned that if they're not taken during bow, forget about ever seeing them during gun other than maybe 2 or 3 rare sightings. 

• Like 1

I wish I would have taken some pictures, but I took my old Remington pump .22 out squirrel hunting on Sunday. Never got a shot, but did see 3. I've never hunted them this time of year, so I'm probably going about it the totally wrong way. Regardless, it was nice to spend a few hours in the woods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

there were at least 3 wall mounters on this property and I have picks of all 3 post season. There are a bunch of other nice shooters that made it. I've learned that if they're not taken during bow, forget about ever seeing them during gun other than maybe 2 or 3 rare sightings. 

That push to get out of that awkward neighbor situation helps to find new opportunities!

1 hour ago, phade said:

That push to get out of that awkward neighbor situation helps to find new opportunities!

i wish I could say this opportunity was easy peasy, but it too has some neighbor/co hunter dynamics. This one a little easier to manage and bow hunter friendly though. All that said, I didn't start hunting it till this past season as I was never driven to find new land and I agree 100% with you. Try to look at the possibilities in shitty situations and you'll be happier in the long run.

Some scouting yesterday and cut an approach trail and cleared some runs to a new set today with my “helpers”.

The best tree isn’t straight and at a bit of an angle so it might be a little tricky
59660511a2ab358f2790a6c1973897b6.jpg&key=b0996c41bd2c36abb70e670156669895ef34a233f79c8a8f762ba4a1526bf965

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check those boys for ticks! That looks like tick mania by me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

29 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Around here , I’ve never got one tick one me hunting, shed hunting , working on the land . Never had a deer with ticks either . 

Worth checking them I guess, I’ve never really thought about ticks on my hunting land .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Around here , I’ve never got one tick one me hunting, shed hunting , working on the land . Never had a deer with ticks either . 

Worth checking them I guess, I’ve never really thought about ticks on my hunting land .

not this time a year, dog and I have had a few over many, many years and typically that's during turkey hunting sitting in a field. Have been free and clear since using permethrin though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Same experience here however, the 8 point i shot this gun season had a tick on him. First time for everything I suppose. 

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

Two in 49 years for me and I rarely see them on my deer either. I see plenty of deer keds on them though. 

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

Lots of em in Mendon! Took some home with me both times I hunted out there.

9 hours ago, grampy said:

Lots of em in Mendon! Took some home with me both times I hunted out there.

May have something to do with the 2500 acre sanctuary ( park ) next to that spot . Most county parks here have a ton of deer and ticks as well .

I don’t even think about them on the farm , on, park land near my home  I do .

Ive had  two ticks on me in  my life , both at my home here in the burbs .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

Tons of tics in letchworth state park. 2 years ago we met some friends and their kids out there Easter weekend. My oldest had a tick in his head one of my buddies his 2 kids and dog all had ticks buried in their skin.

On 1/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Splitear said:

I wish I would have taken some pictures, but I took my old Remington pump .22 out squirrel hunting on Sunday. Never got a shot, but did see 3. I've never hunted them this time of year, so I'm probably going about it the totally wrong way. Regardless, it was nice to spend a few hours in the woods.

bushy tails are frustrating this time of year. We see them all fall in the deer woods and figure it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 no problem, yet once they're done gathering they're not nearly as active. I find late day or early morning best. Even better if you can find a nice sunny calm day in January or February they seem to be out and about. But windy and overcast (which is most of our days) they're not nearly as active. 

52 minutes ago, Belo said:

bushy tails are frustrating this time of year. We see them all fall in the deer woods and figure it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 no problem, yet once they're done gathering they're not nearly as active. I find late day or early morning best. Even better if you can find a nice sunny calm day in January or February they seem to be out and about. But windy and overcast (which is most of our days) they're not nearly as active. 

I love hunting them late summer when they are cutting nuts. This was the first time I had ever went post-deer season, and I certainly could have picked a better day. However, with a young daughter and my wife at home, I have to take my "woods time" when I can get it. Still, it was a lot of fun to be out. Maybe I can find another day this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

I love hunting them late summer when they are cutting nuts. This was the first time I had ever went post-deer season, and I certainly could have picked a better day. However, with a young daughter and my wife at home, I have to take my "woods time" when I can get it. Still, it was a lot of fun to be out. Maybe I can find another day this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

If you are ever interested in going together let me know.....We can go down to my lease if you are interested. But if we get any you are eating them.....lol. I have no interest in that....!

Just now, ApexerER said:

If you are ever interested in going together let me know.....We can go down to my lease if you are interested. But if we get any you are eating them.....lol. I have no interest in that....!

I'll take you up on that sometime Chris! Between me and my daughter, we can polish off a mess ourselves (my wife hates that my daughter likes them).

6 hours ago, Splitear said:

i'm the same man, I go when I can. combo it with some deer and turkey scouting. If I get some, great. If not, the hike was still the best part. 

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

wings man, wings. Quarter them, fry and dip in wing sauce. Delicious! 

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic