LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

The last hour and a half has been about as much fun as one could have with their clothes still on!

Been surrounded by deer. None of which gave me a shot but the young hunter I’m with has a small buck down. He hit a little high and a little back but it was pumping blood and we saw it lay down. We are giving it 2+ hours to expire just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 24

In the saddle for my first sit of the year. Got in the stand around 6:50, which is a little later than I wanted. My neighbor who’s letting the trespasser hunt my land tried to f with me this morning by putting a huge cut log where he thought I’d drive in this morning. So glad I’m posting this property and hunting a lot more state land on the island this year.

No deee yet, but I only really care to shoot a big buck right now as I still have plenty of meat left

I picture you slowly closing the gate with the guys still on the property and saying " I asked yous nicely to leave. Now yous can't leave." CHOKE EM OUT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Just had 2 doe, 2 fawns and a big body crab claw 4 pt at 25. The old doe busted us. LS was very excited lol.

Old matriarch does are the wisest in the woods. Been busted once in 3 years of archery. By savvy old doe 

• Like 2

Headed out at 1 today due to family obligations. Hope to knock down a doe. I’m hunting behind MH brother in laws as my nieces really want to watch me dress a deer. The plan is if I shoot one to call them have them come help me track and watch me dress it. It’s really cool that they are expressing interest at 14 and 17 might even be able to get them in the woods next year. My brother in law got his license this year and will be in for x bow.

• Like 5

Well I tried biz style from the ground.  Result was a fun morning but I messed up.  Same stateland I hunted friday just farther down the ridge.  I can see the road from the setup I found.  At 7 I had a doe come through where I didn't think they would so I couldn't get turned to shoot her. So once she walked off I repositioned my chair thinking if more come through they will most likely take the same path.  Well at 8 o'clock here comes another one.  Well I thought it was a small buck and it walked passed looked body wise like a large 1.5 basket 4.  Well at that time I could hear another one coming thinking it may be bigger I looked over and saw a spike at 5 yards. When I saw him I realized i just let a 2.5 walk and turned to shoot him well he saw me move.  That's when I realized he wasn't a basket 4 he was a 5 point out to the ears.  Needless to say after a stare down he bounded off.  It was a lot of fun but I found a tree to get them coming in next time.   All 3 deer passed by at under 12 yards. Really pushing myself to take a 2.5 and up this year.  He was a lot bigger than that spike just judged his body wrong with and yes his antlers played into that judgement and just tgought he was younger.  Now I know he's there.

• Like 5

Well I tried biz style from the ground.  Result was a fun morning but I messed up.  Same stateland I hunted friday just farther down the ridge.  I can see the road from the setup I found.  At 7 I had a doe come through where I didn't think they would so I couldn't get turned to shoot her. So once she walked off I repositioned my chair thinking if more come through they will most likely take the same path.  Well at 8 o'clock here comes another one.  Well I thought it was a small buck and it walked passed looked body wise like a large 1.5 basket 4.  Well at that time I could hear another one coming thinking it may be bigger I looked over and saw a spike at 5 yards. When I saw him I realized i just let a 2.5 walk and turned to shoot him well he saw me move.  That's when I realized he wasn't a basket 4 he was a 5 point out to the ears.  Needless to say after a stare down he bounded off.  It was a lot of fun but I found a tree to get them coming in next time.   All 3 deer passed by at under 12 yards. Really pushing myself to take a 2.5 and up this year.  He was a lot bigger than that spike just judged his body wrong with and yes his antlers played into that judgement and just tgought he was younger.  Now I know he's there.

Exciting eye to eye, right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Oh yea I hunt a handful of times from the ground a year with bow and most of gun season.  I did make a better natural ground blind for the next time if i don't want to hang a stand.

Damn,that was close how awesome. My heart was pumping last night and this morning when i saw deer from a tree 40+ yds away. I dont think i could handle a ground encounter this early in the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Damn,that was close how awesome. My heart was pumping last night and this morning when i saw deer from a tree 40+ yds away. I dont think i could handle a ground encounter this early in the season.

I wasn't  planning on them coming through where they did I was focused the other way where the trails are down to dirt.   But yes it got the blood pumping pretty good this am.  

• Like 1

In PA once on stateland, I was sitting against a heavy bush. I heard something coming, so I waited still. Then I heard eating and eating right behind my ear. After a few minutes, I couldn’t take it. Big bear country, so I had to look. I slowly stood up and peered over the bush. 5 does and fawns eating the bush I was sitting against. They nearly turned themselves inside out lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Done for the day at 9. Had a doe come in with 2 button bucks at 8am. They were feeding in the corn right in front of me. Cool to see. This mornings sit made me realize I did a terrible job clearing shooting lanes..
IMG_20201004_081036970.thumb.jpg.2b7bacb8657920268e356e1d8743fbfa.jpg
IMG_20201004_081132846.thumb.jpg.2b6ee46bd7c3a288446829e97c09d679.jpg
I have the same look with the corn still up on the one property I hunt. The farmer did do a pass with the combine clearing some shooting space off the wood line.....but my fear is my shooting lanes aren't up to par either.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic