LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

49 minutes ago, cdbing said:

Like Hockey said, if you find acorns i'd suggest you set up on them. Both little bucks I had within range were hitting the acorns.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

There are acorns absolutely everywhere around here this year. I have set up on some before but thought the deer might like some variety after chowing down acorns all day. It is the old game of being in the right place at the right time. 

They had grass and apples below my tree but apparently weren't in a hurry to get there.

2 minutes ago, cdbing said:

If I were a deer I'd prefer apples too. So far the acorn crop in the spots I've hunted seems below average.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I gotta learn more about oak tree fruiting habits and what they like or dont like as far as weather goes. I find the years with heavy crops are more challenging to hunt because the deer just stay in cover in the woods and munch. I guess it is a matter of finding the hot tree/trees for the day.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Kudos for posting that pic,you knew what to expect I guess. This is the first time i heard you missed.

Back when I first started bowhunting. I took a shot at a nice buck. Aluminum arrow. I hit a branch I did not see and that arrow deflected upwards and embedded 25 feet up in a maple tree 50 yards from my stand. That stupid arrow is probably still sticking outa that tree. I got sick of looking at that arrow every time I sat there lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Back when I first started bowhunting. I took a shot at a nice buck. Aluminum arrow. I hit a branch I did not see and that arrow deflected upwards and embedded 25 feet up in a maple tree 50 yards from my stand. That stupid arrow is probably still sticking outa that tree. I got sick of looking at that arrow every time I sat there lol.

I would have cut that entire tree down and turned it into saw dust! 

• Like 1

Had a buddy do that on a 3d course that we shot league matches at. We busted on him Everytime we passed that tree.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Saturday afternoon sit had a guy hunting in climber 20 yards from tree I'd been in the past couple days and that morning. He thought he was still on neighbors land. I explained borders and he said he'd let others know as well. I was headed a 100 yards away to an adjacent field so I said I'd leave him be and keep going to where I was headed. Told him the tree he picked wasnt the best and all deer I've seen came from neighbors where he had permission.

Later he shot into one of two small bucks. One of them a spike went past me. Stopped 20 yards out but didnt look hit so I let it go. Half hour later I had doe and doe fawn come out at just over 20 yrds. Put an original Rage through last couple ribs before the diaphragm and out the far side shoulder. She bled like crazy and made it a short distance. The guy that shot the little buck I dont think recovered it but not sure. I saw him driving off the neighbors before I left. Non hero shots in the field sorry.
eae12bc947691e33e241ae5dbcc99842.jpgd9448290a4ce4c9febef041749b5b5ad.jpg42ab86fa1c70b349b61560bed54fdc60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Congrats on the does.

Just got off the phone with my friend me and him will be trying to get a deer for his oldest boy this weekend.  We werent sure if they were going with me or one his grandfathers.  I'll be putting them where I sat Saturday night and they are sitting in another one of my spots Saturday morning.  I've been saving this spot just in case they went with me.

• Like 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic