LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Are we a week into season and no one has deployed a fireball??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There use is an art , much like calling or rattling . It requires knowing the right time and amount , perhaps Thursday afternoon , I have a couple three year old ones still in my pack . They just cut my little bean field , and  it’s not turned over yet , the wind will be right for my one stand next to a trail that enters a corner, they like to come out of .

An Atomic Fireball may be all that’s required .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So much for nobody talks, everyone walks! Well I had an epic morning. I spooked no fewer than five deer on my way into a new stand I put up in a nice oak flat. Acorns were literally raining down its all I could hear. At around 7:30 four does and a four point came in together and although upwind (real wind, gusty) they got spooky and finally the big doe started blowing and they left. They were looking in a different direction so I dont know if the wind swirled or they saw something or what. The buck hung around for a bit then also left. A bit later another small buck chased two fawns around for a while and then fed out in front of me. Finally two more does came in and one fed in to 24 yards and I shot. I couldnt see my arrow but the shot felt and sounded good. I sat down and called a buddy just to pass the time and all of a sudden I look to my right and the buck is just standing like a statue at 20 yards. I had the sun at my back and I think it saved me. He moved behind a blowdown and I was able to draw and shoot him at 24 yards. He went about 60 yards and tipped over. I waited another half hour and got down to check the doe arrow. That looked real good so I got on blood and the doe was ten yards behind the buck. He had some ground shrinkage but I'm thrilled and glad to have him. Ive got some family challenges that could effect some upcoming weekends. When I got down another doe came in and stared me down for a bit and then started feeding again, I like this KUIU pattern. Also I cut the bejeezus out of my thumb inside the buck and it is still weeping, may go get that looked at lol

arrow 1.jpg

arrow 2.jpg

buck 1.jpg

buck 2.png

buck and doe.png

tractor.png

Nice!congrats! I had a morning like that four years ago.will never forget it.

14 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Okay, you've got me, what is a "fireball"?

Atomic Fireball, it’s an old school, candy . Many years ago I turned the fellas on to my secret of the deer woods , pop one in your mouth and before it’s gone a deer will come in .

There use in bow season is almost as controversial as crossbows ! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Atomic Fireball, it’s an old school, candy . Many years ago I turned the fellas on to my secret of the deer woods , pop one in your mouth and before it’s gone a deer will come in .

There use in bow season is almost as controversial as crossbows ! 

Haha, that's an interesting trick. I did notice that the price of fireballs went up this month...supply and demand I guess.

• Like 1

I have to agree to disagree. Last season my son forced me to wave chocolate around while on stand. I did it, like any good father would, and within minutes had a doe under the stand ( which I sent a video to my wife for his viewing ). Not 20 minutes after that I had an arrow in a beautiful 8pt. Sunday, when I took him out in the blind we of course had to bring some chocolate for both of us. We saw a herd of deer, a flock of turkeys but the chocolate proved too effective and the doe that came in range was actually too close to shoot. So if your going to practice the chocolate theory, always in moderation.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

You best do that, Tacks...I have had two serious infections from butchering game, one from a squirrel, and one from a caribou....

Both times I had throbbing pain at the site of the wound... Both times it cleared up quickly with oral antibiotics, but without them I would have been in the hospital.....

It feels ok today, Ive flushed it with peroxide and packed it with Neosporin a few times

• Like 1

Quick recap from this AM. Shortly after light I was sitting in my climber and a blonde coyote appeared at 25 yds coming right to me. I couldn't move quick enough and he got past me, I lip squeaked and he stopped but not long enough. He disappeared for 10 seconds and deer blew out everywhere. They worked behind me a few at a time. The first few sets of deer were does with fawns so I passed. Finally toward the back I saw a big lone doe walking out around 50 yds. She got in the open and just stood there. I ranged her at exactly 50 yds, then decided I didn't want to shoot that far. 3-4 minutes passed and she still hasn't moved but being behind me I couldn't angle around my tree enough. I decided to swivel my climber around the tree a few inches at a time. I did that and she still hasn't moved, perfectly broadside. I ranged her again, 50. I moved my sight pin and decided I'd draw back and settle the pin and if I didn't feel comfortable I'd let down. Well I settled good so I let it fly. Hit her a few inches high but it exited right behind her offside shoulder. She hit the ground, stood back up for 10 seconds and tipped over right there. Meanwhile I'm still surrounded by deer. As I'm waiting for the deer to work off I notice a 2 yr old buck coming in to 20 yds. I took a few pics as he went by and waited for him to leave and got down. All of this before 8AM! Crazy morning.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 6

@blackbeltbill I thought you may enjoy this video. Made me laugh, glad I took the time to pull the camera out ! I recommend you narrate it and only use 2 phrases, "out of the beans" "flap,flap,flap". My children enjoyed my narrative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

@blackbeltbill I thought you may enjoy this video. Made me laugh, glad I took the time to pull the camera out ! I recommend you narrate it and only use 2 phrases, "out of the beans" "flap,flap,flap". My children enjoyed my narrative.

Turkey see, Turkey Do? lol great video!

19 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

There are a few schools of thought on Fireballs. Much like Ford vs Chevy.

I must say that the effectiveness of these are very understated.

127373-01_reeses-peanut-butter-cups-candy-packs-36-piece-box.jpg

Those are a great option ,I've been on a nutty bar kick lately. That's about the only way I'll eat peanut butter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

there must be some biological reason behind that. Maybe just shaking off any debris?

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic