LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

lol, i was joking.  in december people say "2nd rut", so I was joking as if this was the 2nd rut already.
Btw, I saw an 8pt and a 10pt.
2nd you say? I'm already on my third. Been dropping buck bombs and rattling every 4 mins since Oct 1

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Rain passed in 3S so giving it a dance. Climbed super close to where I know three doe bed daily and in between where they want to feed. Got settled in a took a quick scan and see two of them undisturbed by my climb. Real thick but they are in there- just hope field grass is “what they crave” tonight!
1c2ca17c51d2623a50c1094efd2ab058.jpg

6e35b1aa27e51ecd25290dfc1c7ad48b.jpg
I promise that’s a tail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

What do you mean by 2nd?

There is only one rut..It begins in September and continues until all or nearly all does stop coming into estrus, usually in January or thereabouts...

There is  usually a period of time from late October to mid November when the  majority of does are in estrus, generally referred to as the "peak" of the rut,  but often it is influenced  by weather....Some years there is a noticable spike in breeding activity  a month after the "peak",  if a significant number of does have not been bred for whatever reason, and come into estrus again.. I think this is what is sometimes called the "2nd rut", but it is a misnomer....

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

There is only one rut..It begins in September and continues until all or nearly all does stop coming into estrus, usually in January or thereabouts...

There is  usually a period of time from late October to mid November when the  majority of does are in estrus, generally referred to as the "peak" of the rut,  but often it is influenced  by weather....Some years there is a noticable spike in breeding activity  a month after the "peak",  if a significant number of does have not been bred for whatever reason, and come into estrus again.. I think this is what is sometimes called the "2nd rut", but it is a misnomer....

Perfectly stated Dan.

I love it when you get all informative on us....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BfloHunter said:

Welp...came up short on the search. Spent from 7am until 20-30 mins ago searching the area and not one blood drop or hair past 30 yards from where she was shot. Called dear search and left a VM. Man do I hate this feeling.

That's why they call it hunting.   Nothing is guaranteed.  I just watched an episode of Meateater, where Rinella gets a bad hit on a big bull elk with his ML.  He does a pretty good job of explaining that feeling we all get when it happens. It will happen to all who do it long enough.  I think it is the third or so episode on the last season on Netflicks, if you want to check it out.

The tough lessons are the ones that teach the most.  That meat will go to the vermin, but much more will go to your freezer some day, thanks to the lesson learned.  I lost a few myself thru 38 gun seasons and 36 archery seasons. Just like Rinella, each time I waited until the next season to hunt again, even though I still had an "unpunched" tag.  I could handle loosing one deer in a season, but I am not sure I could handle more.

Edited by wolc123

I had to check the name twice on this. You have a wealth of knowledge which is well known but you normally toss a good one liner in those posts as well. Not this time though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

This. Pygmy is usually just the pervy old man with one liners cracking jokes. But when he does say something serious it's always worth taking to the bank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Some years there is a noticable spike in breeding activity  a month after the "peak",  if a significant number of does have not been bred for whatever reason, and come into estrus again.. I

Looks something like this: 

late rut.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve never rattled in NY but always thought it was a pre rut thing. Like later in October / early November?

Anyone have success rattling in early October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

late october/early november is the rut. Nothing wrong with some light rattling now and then in the next few weeks you can step it up as the bucks hormones start to kick in and the chase begins.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic