LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I never had luck with it and felt I was clearing the area with the noise so I dont do it

After trying rattling so many times, over decades, this is exactly how I feel about doing it! I just feel with all that noise, I am just blowing out the deer I hope to see??? So I mostly just sit quietly. But perhaps maybe once or twice a year, I will give it a go, during the first week of November. But I never had it work for me, even one time. That said, I know many others who have done it successfully! Just never has worked for me.

• Like 3

Not hunting till Wed afternoon .per rattling , many years ago I bought a rattle bag, set up on the ground behind a friends house in Webster, first light I hit that bag  . A buck jumped up a bit away and ran in , parallel to, me and I bit out , so never got a shot ,  but man I was sold on rattling ! 

Haven’t had much luck since ...... perhaps a one time use rattle bag !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My buddy loves rattling and has had a lot of success. He ties three antlers to his haul line and shakes them from his stand so the sound is coming from ground level. I never had luck with it and felt I was clearing the area with the noise so I dont do it

Guy i work with does this aswell.his theory is it mimics bucks fighting with the leaves and antlers clashin together.i myself have never tried it

• Like 1

The closer that your buck to doe ratio is, the better rattling will work, at the right time. There is more competition when the ratio is 1:1. Not to say it doesn’t work when you have a lot of does, because it can. Also as far as big buck, they all have different personalities. Some are fighters. Some are loners that don’t like to fight. Even if all the conditions are right to rattle, a big buck may just decide it’s not worth it and he’ll try to sneak off. You just never know. 

• Like 2

the buck i regret the most not shooting was the only one i have ever rattled in.  I had two does in the freezer that year and was hunting for two 9 points - one at each spot I hunt.  So one day I decided to try some rattle and grunt.  Immediately after i see a sapling shakin like hell in the brush.  I know its a pissed off buck.  He come out in a trail at about 90 yards and cuts across it.  I grunt again and he comes back out and comes right to me on a string.  I passed him up and shouldnt have just cause it was a great story and it was a real nice buck i was just playing cat and mouse with some others that season it seemed.  I was within 50 yards of a big 9 twice that season and i was just hooked.   And i am not a big buck hunter but i did pass this fella.  pic of him here and a pic of the stand i was in..  But what a great hunt that day. 

wayback stand.jpg

a stota buck.JPG

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the buck i regret the most not shooting was the only one i have ever rattled in.  I had two does in the freezer that year and was hunting for two 9 points - one at each spot I hunt.  So one day I decided to try some rattle and grunt.  Immediately after i see a sapling shakin like hell in the brush.  I know its a pissed off buck.  He come out in a trail at about 90 yards and cuts across it.  I grunt again and he comes back out and comes right to me on a string.  I passed him up and shouldnt have just cause it was a great story and it was a real nice buck i was just playing cat and mouse with some others that season it seemed.  I was within 50 yards of a big 9 twice that season and i was just hooked.   And i am not a big buck hunter but i did pass this fella.  pic of him here and a pic of the stand i was in..  But what a great hunt that day. 

wayback stand.jpg

a stota buck.JPG

Nice body on that one but that rack leaves a lot to be desired....

Snuck out of work a little early today. Got in around 4. The rain stopped, then another shower came through so I got pretty wet. It’s all good. Saw 5 does, a spike l, and caught a glimpse of a good off in the distance. I’ve been seeing a good one in the area. Hoping he makes a showing tonight as the rain has now stopped and I have a perfect wind. image.thumb.jpg.9d9e48b78f74abbe34a6e2226e24e74b.jpg

• Like 3

Well, it got interesting the last 45 minutes tonite. First two doe walked into the bean field behind me (off of my land), followed by two spikes who spent their time chasing the doe and sparring with each other. Fun to watch but in the meantime I heard what sounded like a horse galloping on the paths on my land. As it came around the corner from my left, it turned out to be a nice eight point. Never had a chance, it flew by me, turned out into the field and ran a big circle around the doe and spikes and returned on the same route, sprinting back past me and out of sight. By the time he passed me the second time he was panting heavily. A little odd, but that’s deer hunting. Also had two large doe come in to about three yards but I don’t like that straight down shot. Had an opportunity on one of them but by then it was well after shooting time and I didn’t want to miss the start of the Bills game while recovering the doe. May regret that later but that’s what happened tonite.

• Like 6

So decided to video w my phone a buddy of mine shooting at a deer out of the Buckform blind my son finished up yesterday.  
Just as planned had doe walk in to 22 yds so I videotaped......a miss.   He shot over her. Here is pic before the shot.  After we checked phone and he shot high and she ducked too.  Back to the drawing board 

911852E5-B309-4329-8220-A274FCBBB701.png

• Like 4

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic