LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

39 minutes ago, BfloHunter said:

Any chance she dies from that? I can’t find blood anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

both are unlikely to be lethal. But archery is a funny thing, need to know angle, because if it was steep it could very well have just cleaned up on the way out but still blown through lungs. There's also an artery in the back but you should see blood from that area, assuming you're looking in the right spot. 

My advice, given rain is coming in 8F anyhow is to back out 2 hours and then go back in. If you jump her (this has happened to me) check the bed. A little to medium amounts of blood means she's probably fine. A LOT of blood means something else, but unlikely given the muscle on the arrow. If it was brisket, and that's my guess, she will be sore but fine.

• Like 1

This evening I went out with my 7 year old for some early muzzleloader action up in 6K.  We got to our spot in a hedge row looking into a small hay lot, and there was already a deer feeding.  We watched it for about 10 minutes and I asked my son if he wanted to wait for more deer, or shoot this one(we thought it was a  doe).  He said to shoot this one and was very excited about it.  I lined up the shot and told my son to cover his ears.  I shot abs after the smoke cleared the deer made its way to the wood line.  My son was anxiously wanting to get over there to “get the deer”.  We waited about 10 more minutes then walked over.  My son found the deer laying just inside the wood line, turns out it was a button buck.  I would have normally passed a button, but my son is super excited about this experience, and that’s what counts!  Enjoy!
966B3E0B-26BF-4E3D-ACAC-B1327C451B3D.thumb.jpeg.128181060e0f34c4b5d389bed795c7f4.jpeg
03BD7C81-4F72-4608-A71A-5361AC5A25AB.thumb.jpeg.b0643f079b2aef9e9e8af888d95808c8.jpeg

Couple years ago I took my oldest out and she wanted me to shoot a BB as well which I’d normally let walk but the memories made are priceless! Good job!

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

This evening I went out with my 7 year old for some early muzzleloader action up in 6K.  We got to our spot in a hedge row looking into a small hay lot, and there was already a deer feeding.  We watched it for about 10 minutes and I asked my son if he wanted to wait for more deer, or shoot this one(we thought it was a  doe).  He said to shoot this one and was very excited about it.  I lined up the shot and told my son to cover his ears.  I shot abs after the smoke cleared the deer made its way to the wood line.  My son was anxiously wanting to get over there to “get the deer”.  We waited about 10 more minutes then walked over.  My son found the deer laying just inside the wood line, turns out it was a button buck.  I would have normally passed a button, but my son is super excited about this experience, and that’s what counts!  Enjoy!

966B3E0B-26BF-4E3D-ACAC-B1327C451B3D.jpeg

03BD7C81-4F72-4608-A71A-5361AC5A25AB.jpeg

Last year during the regular season I shot what I thought was a tall spike (ended up being a really small 6) that normally gets a pass but my daughter was with me and the memories that buck made will last a life time. Congratulations on the harvest and there is no better feeling that having your child with you for a successful hunt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

both are unlikely to be lethal. But archery is a funny thing, need to know angle, because if it was steep it could very well have just cleaned up on the way out but still blown through lungs. There's also an artery in the back but you should see blood from that area, assuming you're looking in the right spot. 
My advice, given rain is coming in 8F anyhow is to back out 2 hours and then go back in. If you jump her (this has happened to me) check the bed. A little to medium amounts of blood means she's probably fine. A LOT of blood means something else, but unlikely given the muscle on the arrow. If it was brisket, and that's my guess, she will be sore but fine.

It is amazing how much blood actually equals a lot of blood.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, BfloHunter said:

Grand island. Just found blood thank god!!a0cbdd81d77310c7e4cb4b3d623ae099.jpg

I will jump in on the guesses here. I had a similar arrow and blood a few years ago on a buck. We couldn't find the arrow that night but had decent blood for about 200 yards until we lost it. We marked last blood and backed out. The next morning we picked back up on the trail for another 50 yards on our hands and knees until it went completely dry. We grid searched for quite a while then called it off and went back to look for the arrow and found it 60 yards away from the hit sight covered in meat and blood just like yours. Best we could determine from shot, deer reaction and arrow is that it was a Brisket shot and luckily the deer will survive. I wish you the best of luck as this is the worst feeling as a hunter. 

Grand island. Just found blood thank god!!a0cbdd81d77310c7e4cb4b3d623ae099.jpg&key=b5809c8e9bb533fa09636ec4b21c3aa622f774558affda5d7405dee08f86eabf

That’s a start but I agree with others about the color and lack of blood...high meat and a bit of a crap shoot.
Recently I found it actually easier to follow blood using a flashlight at night then during warning light of the day or even bright days throwing shadows on everything.
Good luck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grampy said:

Yesterday, almost nine hours in two stands, on two properties with no deer seen. Did meet up with upstate redneck for coffee in between hunts! Always a pleasure Paul!

Got plenty of deer sign. Rubs and scrapes popping up all over. I need to pace myself now. Very tired after yesterday. Took the morning off. Will go to the other side of the farm property, along the edge of the big swamp this afternoon. Looking to get some blood on this Obsession!

Ahhh you should have let me know. We could have had gtg. Next time!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Recently I found it actually easier to follow blood using a flashlight at night then during warning light of the day or even bright days throwing shadows on everything.
Good luck

And, this time of the fall the leaves are all extremely bright red, green, yellow etc making it difficult on your eyes.  In another few weeks when almost all the leaves are down, dried up and BROWN it is much easier to spot blood.  But, yes it's easier for me to follow a sparce blood trail at night.

• Like 1

My nephew and I got a double this evening..

Double miss... He missed a doe, I missed a 8pt.   Both shot low. 

Oh well. If I would have connected, I would be missing the best part of the season.  Wish my nephew would have connected. It was his first archery attempt.

• Like 3

a brisket shot will bleed for sure. I've lived it as have others. And yeah you'll find enough of a blood trail to give you hope, but it'll stop at some point. In fact the only deer I ever lost with a bow was brisket and the blood trail wasn't the type I was really excited to follow, but it was enough to keep me hopeful.

Here's to hoping we're wrong and she's dead, but if not i think you can find solace in that she will live.

Just got back to my house. Zilch for me but my buddy shot I nice buck for 3m. We tracked it for about 400 yards only to find it standing. My buddy called me at 5:30 so he let him sit for a couple hours. The buck didnt move just stood and looked at us from about 25 yards. We will go get him tomorrow a.m. pictures to follow. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon sit! Was on the ground in a brush blind, in the hemlocks bordering a large swamp. First time sitting this spot in a couple years. Going in I came across two very fresh scrapes. Got to the blind and fifteen yards away is a brand new rub! Cool, I says to myself! Half hour after sitting down, two big doe's and two fawns come trotting up out of the swamp. They passed twenty yards to my right, and headed towards the field a hundred yards behind me. Caught my scent once behind me, and off they went. Tails flagging. Cool I says to myself!

Hour or so later, from the same area the doe's came from, I see a year old four point heading towards me. He comes to within a few FEET from the blind, stops, looks around, and walks away down into the hemlocks to my right, and eventually out of sight. Cool, I says to myself!

About five o'clock I see a deer in the thick stuff fifty yards away, then a tree whipping back and forth! At this point I knew it was a buck, but couldn't tell how big? As it got closer, I watched it make another rub and also a couple of scrapes! I also saw it was a pretty nice two year old six point. And he's coming closer! I drew my bow just as he came from behind a tree at twelve yards. He was a nice deer, but not what I wanted tonight. I let him walk. Even though, I really want one more buck with my bow this year. We have some nicer ones on the property, and the best is yet to come.

Walking out saw another small buck, and two doe's in the field, near where my wheeler was parked. Saw no deer yesterday. Saw a bunch today, and could have taken a shot.

Cool, I said to myself!

• Like 13

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

More pictures of the arrow and any blood / meat?Could be brisket.

My crossbow bolt from PA looked EXACTLY LIKE THIS, It was a high double lung that hit the bottom of the spine also. ( there really is no dead mans zone FYI as confirmed by my shot)  she also went 300 yards, but died within minutes. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 3

My crossbow bolt from PA looked EXACTLY LIKE THIS, It was a high double lung that hit the bottom of the spine also. ( there really is no dead mans zone FYI as confirmed by my shot)  she also went 300 yards, but died within minutes. 

And many a pulmonary expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Well thanks for all the tips guys it gave me some hope I’d find her. Unfortunately just called it quits for the night with no deer found after the blood trail dried up after about 400 yards. Some spots just a drop and other spots the limbs and leaves were covered. She wandered into the thickest stuff imaginable which luckily made it easier to track with all the branches and such being blood stained but still no luck. After that initial 400 yards it’s like she vanished. 4 guys helping and none of us could find blood after that point.

I called and left a message for deer search so I’m still hopeful but with the rain I don’t know. Wow this year has been a tough one

• Sad 1

I don't think that's possible with a pass through unless straight down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Possible if he clips the lower part of the backstrap where it meets the rib bones.. yea shot would have to be under 12 yards

5 hours ago, BfloHunter said:

Well thanks for all the tips guys it gave me some hope I’d find her. Unfortunately just called it quits for the night with no deer found after the blood trail dried up after about 400 yards. Some spots just a drop and other spots the limbs and leaves were covered. She wandered into the thickest stuff imaginable which luckily made it easier to track with all the branches and such being blood stained but still no luck. After that initial 400 yards it’s like she vanished. 4 guys helping and none of us could find blood after that point.

I called and left a message for deer search so I’m still hopeful but with the rain I don’t know. Wow this year has been a tough one

Good luck man! 

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic