LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

I apologize because this is not live form the woods, but my phone sucks and i haven't had access to the internet since Friday. I got very lucky yesterday in Chautauqua Co after not seeing a deer from the stand so far this year, I had 3 doe come in feeding on  hickory nuts about 8:30, I had shot yardage from several spots and the biggest doe walked right next to a tree that i knew was 37 yds. Broadside stops and puts her head down feeding so i took the shot.  It looked good but I'll be honest at that distance I couldn't see where or if i hit her? I waited an hour climbed down and started looking for my arrow, can't find it, i did get blood but only small drops and I could smell stomach! SOB, I had watched to see where she ran and it helped with the track but, only found small drops of blood and after 2 hours we called it because she went into some real thick stuff and I didn't want to jump her. We waited 6 hours and called Deer Search, guy came out and man that dog wasted no time. She covered what took us 2 hours to track in seconds. she went right into the thick stuff and in about 15 minutes we were standing next to a dead doe! I couldn't be happier! I know for a fact that I would never have found that deer w/o the dog! It looks like the doe must have jumped just as my arrow got to her as the entry hole is low but there's an exit hole higher and further forward on the opposite side. I cut the top of the liver and 1 lung after going through the stomach. Plus the arrow was still in her! it was only in her about 6" and pulled right out? I thought how is that possible? It looks like she must have tried to pull it out before she died?  The chew marks on her butt are from the dog! But he deserves a snack after a great days work!

20201018_155559.jpgT

• Like 42

I am in here now with my bibs in the dryer and lunch on the stove.  Not sure what it is yet.  Saw a freshly worked scrape on my walk out.  That might explain the breaking branches I heard while I was hunkered down under the tree umbrella for a few hours this morning.  Apparently, there is something other than does around.

20201019_121941.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am in here now with my bibs in the dryer and lunch on the stove.  Not sure what it is yet.  Saw a freshly worked scrape on my walk out.  That might explain the breaking branches I heard while I was hunkered down under the tree umbrella for a few hours this morning.  Apparently, there is something other than does around.

20201019_121941.jpg

How far up this way are you?

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

No, but they supposedly release trouble-making trap and transfer black bears, right across the road from my current location.  The hair stands up on the back of my neck every time I hear a twig break over the sound of the rain drops.  No more fawn bleats from me this morning.

Oh man that's like the school for bad kids growing up LOL

Hit the park this morning, but I forgot to bring my orange up with me. I just stayed close to my truck and scouted around. Didn’t see anything, but I did find a few fresh scraps basically in the same area’s as last year. Left around 11 headed into town to pick up some orange hat/gloves. I wanted a camo orange vest but they seem to be hard to come by. It’s pouring out so I’m done for today and maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

How far up this way are you?

I am roughly half way between Lows lake and Black lake, on the wmu 6c/6f line.  Lunch was some excellent home made New England clam chowder, sent over by a nice lady at the end of the lake, washed down with a Doseques Especial. Bibs are dry, cider thermos is refilled, battery charged,  and I am ready to head back out after that buck, doe, or bear.

• Like 4

I had to modify the plan a bit after lunch because the rain picked up a little.  I took the plow truck back to the end of the trail where I saw the fresh scrape from this morning.  I holed up in an old cut off fuel tank blind for a while.  The 1/4  inch steel handled the heavy rain very well.

Now it has let up a little again, so I moved back under my tree umbrella in a new location, directly down wind of the scrape, with my back to the swamp again.  I tried a little rattling but no success.

Good thing nothing came in, because I had forgot to re- cap my ML, after I got out of the truck.  It's all set now, but I am just going to hang tight till dark and hope a buck, doe, or bear bumbles into range.  Visibility is good here, to the scrape, and there is lots of fresh deer scat in the area.  All loose balls that appear to be from doe.

20201019_145317.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

Heres my update for the day. I was deciding between two spots to duck hunt this morning and decided to hunt a smaller creek vs a bigger river. On the small dirt road to the spot, I spotted an absolute giant buck in a field. I got to my spot and settled in along the creek by 6:20. Around 7 I looked up and saw about 6 deer walking single file across the creek about 60-70 yards away. After about 10 min I saw 4 bucks crossing the creek at the same spot. As I was trying to memorize the spot where they crossed, I looked up and saw a flock of ducks over head and watched them land 70 yards up river. I let the deer pass and was getting ready to do a quick jump shoot on the ducks. I'm not 100 percent sure what ducks they were, but as I got up I noticed 4 ducks flying traight to me. 2 shots later I had 2 mergansers down. I told my self I wouldnt shoot them, but here I am lol. 

I waited another 30 min to see if any more ducks were flying, but I saw none so I decided to walk the creek to see if I can jump shoot anymore. I saw a few mergansers, but decided to not shoot. As I was walking I heard a tree shaking and deer blowing, so I figured It was a squirrel making noise and spooking a deer. I decided to look up at the tree and saw my first bear. I thought It was so cool, until I started questioning the size and got worried it was a cub so I backed out and ran out of there. I was only 30 yards from the tree, but I didnt see any other bears there so Im assuming it was a really young bear in its first year with out mama. After that I decided to pack up and get out to not risk it. Almost shot 2 black squirrels, but I didnt want to get hit with a tresspass since It was just on the other side of the posted signs. I found the trail the deer were using to walk between the woods and the ag fields seperated by the creek, so Ill be back there soon enough for a hunt. 

I ended up going to check the spot i originally wanted to go and what do you know...its loaded with wood ducks and black ducks. I took a couple shots as they flew over me after the spooked, but It was a bit far for my IC choke. Ive made shots like that on big ducks before with M chokes, but they were just a bit too far. Ill be going there hopefully saturday or friday morning to see if I can get my first wood duck. After that its pretty much pure deer hunting till december 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am roughly half way between Lows lake and Black lake, on the wmu 6c/6f line.  Lunch was some excellent home made New England clam chowder, sent over by a nice lady at the end of the lake, washed down with a Doseques Especial. Bibs are dry, cider thermos is refilled, battery charged,  and I am ready to head back out after that buck, doe, or bear.

Nice area! You ever take the Tooley pond  rd north?

On a side note.. its a wonder the deer herd hasnt recovered in my area. 1/2 a dozen shots so far tonight and not a single ml among them..:(. They have to be driving because its an awfull lot of shooting

59 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Nice area! You ever take the Tooley pond  rd north?

On a side note.. its a wonder the deer herd hasnt recovered in my area. 1/2 a dozen shots so far tonight and not a single ml among them..:(. They have to be driving because its an awfull lot of shooting

That is quite a bit further east than I have hunted.  I hunted a bit further to the west of our current location, around the Antertp/Theresa area, for about 10 years, prior to the move here.  The local deer population is pretty good now, but always gets better as it gets colder and they move in from Tug hill. 

We are in a narrow band that does not get much snow and they like to winter here.  There is so many around thru the winter, that it looks like professional landscapers trim all the branches on trees all the way around the lake below about a 6 ft height.  That makes it nice for shoreline casting, when the lake is not froze. Not much worry about snags.

I heard 4 distant, single shots on opening day of ML, but nothing since, and I have not seen any signs of another hunter.  I have seen 3 antlerless deer since Saturday, and definitely a fresh buck scrape today.  I am pretty sure I heard him working that one this morning.  No signs of coyotes this year, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Heres my update for the day. I was deciding between two spots to duck hunt this morning and decided to hunt a smaller creek vs a bigger river. On the small dirt road to the spot, I spotted an absolute giant buck in a field. I got to my spot and settled in along the creek by 6:20. Around 7 I looked up and saw about 6 deer walking single file across the creek about 60-70 yards away. After about 10 min I saw 4 bucks crossing the creek at the same spot. As I was trying to memorize the spot where they crossed, I looked up and saw a flock of ducks over head and watched them land 70 yards up river. I let the deer pass and was getting ready to do a quick jump shoot on the ducks. I'm not 100 percent sure what ducks they were, but as I got up I noticed 4 ducks flying traight to me. 2 shots later I had 2 mergansers down. I told my self I wouldnt shoot them, but here I am lol. 
I waited another 30 min to see if any more ducks were flying, but I saw none so I decided to walk the creek to see if I can jump shoot anymore. I saw a few mergansers, but decided to not shoot. As I was walking I heard a tree shaking and deer blowing, so I figured It was a squirrel making noise and spooking a deer. I decided to look up at the tree and saw my first bear. I thought It was so cool, until I started questioning the size and got worried it was a cub so I backed out and ran out of there. I was only 30 yards from the tree, but I didnt see any other bears there so Im assuming it was a really young bear in its first year with out mama. After that I decided to pack up and get out to not risk it. Almost shot 2 black squirrels, but I didnt want to get hit with a tresspass since It was just on the other side of the posted signs. I found the trail the deer were using to walk between the woods and the ag fields seperated by the creek, so Ill be back there soon enough for a hunt. 
I ended up going to check the spot i originally wanted to go and what do you know...its loaded with wood ducks and black ducks. I took a couple shots as they flew over me after the spooked, but It was a bit far for my IC choke. Ive made shots like that on big ducks before with M chokes, but they were just a bit too far. Ill be going there hopefully saturday or friday morning to see if I can get my first wood duck. After that its pretty much pure deer hunting till december 

Eating the mergs soon or saving for thanksgiving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went out this afternoon after cutting up turkey. Saw two does and a basket 6. No shot buck stayed right behind doe the whole time. Seemed like he was interested in her, not sure seems too early. Rain came in around 4 pm , so I headed in shortly after. My son saw zip. Forecast tomorrow no too promising.

Went out this afternoon after cutting up turkey. Saw two does and a basket 6. No shot buck stayed right behind doe the whole time. Seemed like he was interested in her, not sure seems too early. Rain came in around 4 pm , so I headed in shortly after. My son saw zip. Forecast tomorrow no too promising.

Certainly not too early for him to be interested especially if he’s one of them teenage bucks who is still not even sure why he’s so excited!!! Bet he would have caught a donkey kick from her if he tried it too soon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I apologize because this is not live form the woods, but my phone sucks and i haven't had access to the internet since Friday. I got very lucky yesterday in Chautauqua Co after not seeing a deer from the stand so far this year, I had 3 doe come in feeding on  hickory nuts about 8:30, I had shot yardage from several spots and the biggest doe walked right next to a tree that i knew was 37 yds. Broadside stops and puts her head down feeding so i took the shot.  It looked good but I'll be honest at that distance I couldn't see where or if i hit her? I waited an hour climbed down and started looking for my arrow, can't find it, i did get blood but only small drops and I could smell stomach! SOB, I had watched to see where she ran and it helped with the track but, only found small drops of blood and after 2 hours we called it because she went into some real thick stuff and I didn't want to jump her. We waited 6 hours and called Deer Search, guy came out and man that dog wasted no time. She covered what took us 2 hours to track in seconds. she went right into the thick stuff and in about 15 minutes we were standing next to a dead doe! I couldn't be happier! I know for a fact that I would never have found that deer w/o the dog! It looks like the doe must have jumped just as my arrow got to her as the entry hole is low but there's an exit hole higher and further forward on the opposite side. I cut the top of the liver and 1 lung after going through the stomach. Plus the arrow was still in her! it was only in her about 6" and pulled right out? I thought how is that possible? It looks like she must have tried to pull it out before she died?  The chew marks on her butt are from the dog! But he deserves a snack after a great days work!

that's a cool story and congrats! arrows can work their way out too as the deer runs and hits things. glad you recovered her and had the chance to try and figure it all out. I'll admit I'm still a little confused by your description of impact and exit haha.

Edited by Belo

I’m definitely not shooting a doe now , my buddy got it done on the last morning out West , 6x6 Elk . He eats like one deer a year, so I said I’ll take all he doesn’t want , I’ll pay my share for processing and shipping .

F81A9B52-4221-4949-AD8A-24BF4286C92F.jpeg

• Like 18

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic