LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

6 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Thanks I like to butcher my own deer this way I can cut and wrap it the way I want. I usually have a good idea of how I want to cook it. This year I’m going to try a few pressure cooking recipes. There where absolutely no ticks on this deer. My brother has taken a few deer off my property and none of them had ticks ether. I think there mostly in areas with an over abundance of deer. Definitely not the case where I’m hunting. She did have a ridiculous amount of fat on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good.  I am a little worried about shooting one tonight myself, due to the warmth. I am not set up for butchering at my in-laws Adirondack house, but I always do them myself at home.  The temp is supposed to be in the upper 50s  to low 60's throughout the night.   That is on the high side for sure.

I have heard that the ticks are not so bad this year.  I am actually sitting in the exact spot, where i killed the buck that had all the ticks on it a few years ago, right now.  Last year, I sat here once and had one crawling on me, but no signs of any around now.  Of course, my bibs ate well treated with Sawyers, so that may be holding them at bay.

I just cleared a few branches to make this spot better for opening day of gun on Saturday.  I am almost ready to make a nice slow still hunt back to the truck.   It sounds like my mother in law has a heck of a dinner planned tonight, and my stomach is growling now.

Congrats again on your big woods trophy.  A doe or spike buck up here are worth at least 10 times to me what they are at home on the flatlands.  That looks like a fine-eating 1.5 year old doe that you got.  The last one I got like that up here, was every bit as tasty as the corn fed ones from back in WNY.  

• Like 1

Sounds good.  I am a little worried about shooting one tonight myself, due to the warmth. I am not set up for butchering at my in-laws Adirondack house, but I always do them myself at home.  The temp is supposed to be in the upper 50s  to low 60's throughout the night.   That is on the high side for sure.
I have heard that the ticks are not so bad this year.  I am actually sitting in the exact spot, where i killed the buck that had all the ticks on it a few years ago, right now.  Last year, I sat here once and had one crawling on me, but no signs of any around now.  Of course, my bibs ate well treated with Sawyers, so that may be holding them at bay.
I just cleared a few branches to make this spot better for opening day of gun on Saturday.  I am almost ready to make a nice slow still hunt back to the truck.   It sounds like my mother in law has a heck of a dinner planned tonight, and my stomach is growling now.
Congrats again on your big woods trophy.  A doe or spike buck up here are worth at least 10 times to me what they are at home on the flatlands.  That looks like a fine-eating 1.5 year old doe that you got.  The last one I got like that up here, was every bit as tasty as the corn fed ones from back in WNY.  
I skinned my father and brothers deer from 6K last weekend and they were COVERED in ticks, it was awful. The doe had 9 ticks in one armpit that I counted.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

[mention=8575]Robhuntandfish[/mention], [mention=5688]chrisw[/mention] [mention=481]Fletch[/mention]

- walk in cooler at my disposal if you need it. 

Very kind offer!! I have a 6 foot old bar beer cooler in the garage. Used for 2 things. It can hold 20+ cases for parties or 3 avg size deer. I just need to cut off legs at knees before they go in.

If I drop 4 I’m calling you though lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lomax said:

OK that’s why we come just had a nice encounter with a big seven point and a 4 or chasing does the big one got into about 18 yards had a shot But it’s early and got some nice videos  Probably should have shot him

C1C69203-7ECC-4541-9158-56E66C4651FB.png

F10ABDE8-7F25-41CD-B431-0223B7E4074D.png

Good call and I don’t think you will regret. I have high expectations until the last week of bow then I lower them a bit other wise I just shoot doe. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zag said:

You wonder if they feel like these back yards are like heaven to them!

Idk they eat grass and shrubs, no crops for miles . I can’t wait for the rut , there’s regularly 12-15 doe in the fenced in school yard , should be fun to  watch .

Edited by Nomad
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Otto said:

@Robhuntandfish, @chrisw @Fletch

- walk in cooler at my disposal if you need it. 

Thanks. That's awesome!!!!

I usually have a backup plan.  If I can't hang it, I will skin and quarter it that night and I have a huge cooler that fits a whole deer and 3-4 blocks of ice.  Also can always take it to Marsh mill for processing if they are still open that day.  

A walk in cooler is a sweet thing to have.  I have a fridge I can get to put in the shed but for use maybe once a year I just didn't put it in.  

Like Fletch says, I will kill em and figure it out later. Good problem to have. Lol.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

May try some fishing.Skipping on tomorrow morning as not hunting in the forecasted 79 degree's!!!!!low 43 tomorrow night,got a feeling saturday morning may get good with the temp drop

Here they are saying rain til noon. I'm thinking the minute it stops be in the stand til dark. That temp drop always sounds good!  Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I skinned my father and brothers deer from 6K last weekend and they were COVERED in ticks, it was awful. The doe had 9 ticks in one armpit that I counted.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Saw 5 ticks today. Most I've ever seen all of them were on the back of my hands while sitting in the stand.  

After that feeling like I needed to itch and scratch .....and weirded out. Would be sitting there and then feel one across my hand. Sure did a good tick check and showered after am and pm hunt. Hate the damn things. But glad to only see them on my hands. 

Couldn’t login this morning. Anyway it was 50* no real wind hit the park a little after day break started slow along a creek not to far in I seen a doe good enough for me. I blow the shot and hit her high and back,but she dropped right there. This is my first big woods deer with the muzzle loader I’m happy as can be. It didn’t take long to drag her out because I was less then a half mile from the road. I’ll take it. Meat in the freezer. I have to get to butchering her it’s warm out.
20530b6d9dcb36d7fb8e7644e2a80ca5.jpg&key=4d7c2c4308d67ee97927608e37a2e6d8182b26d3017ffe1873910f5035a01363
Sorry no hero shot I forgot the wire to my digital camera.
62fb1fa604331fa1e8bb10cce4b1baf1.jpg&key=c86b3099e84d150fa8a96557fbff98b246ec365f38a3bdbcfb8021926b53d86f

Is that dressed out weight?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cory said:

It depends if your neighborhood is lgbtq friendly since it is 2 bucks! I have the cabelas Santa frosty inflatable it gets some looks

Reindeer are caribou, and the females of that species do have smaller horns.  Santa's sled ain't pulled by whitetails.  They don't live that far north. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

Been so busy have had no time to get on here, we’re heading south of the border for PA youth season tomorrow evening. Hopefully my 8 year old can control his shakes this year lol. We will have fun either way.

Good luck hope your kid can knock one down this year.

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic