LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Do you have any intel on where they're feeding? I know for us once the corn is gone so are the deer.

So yes, there were almost no acorns this year. This 400 acre wood lot is surrounded by subdivision so my guess would be back yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well,my "best spot" was a complete bust. It probably didn't help that i was less than quiet climbing a tree. I hope it is just a little on the early side there. Also it is not easy to find a good spot to climb a tree,lots of young beech and other stuff with little branches there. I might try there again when the bucks are cruising hard.

I am not sure where to go tomorrow morning,but i am sure i will figure it out.

I could really use a freezer queen to calm my urge to shoot one.

39 minutes ago, Chef said:

So yes, there were almost no acorns this year. This 400 acre wood lot is surrounded by subdivision so my guess would be back yards

It sounds funny but maybe an evening drive around the neighborhoods will give you a better idea of what part of the 400 acres they are coming from. 

I think we both hunt seny. I am seeing same. Not much acorn, small acorns if any (not sure if the lack of rain impacts) and little movement and sign in the woods. Plenty of movement in backyards and bordering subdivisions.

Good luck to you. I am hoping temp drop over night changes pattern a bit tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It sounds funny but maybe an evening drive around the neighborhoods will give you a better idea of what part of the 400 acres they are coming from. 

So I’ve been doing this when I leave the woods.... tonight as a example not a single deer in the neighborhood either

Sat for a couple of hours tonight and had 2 adult doe walk through with a doe fawn and a button buck with them. they all walked right past me at 20 ft. downwind too, I think I must have been high enough that they never smelled me. If I didn't have a doe in the freezer already the big girl would have been in trouble!

• Like 1

Well day started off good. I got setup on the field edge my brother on the other.  430 i get a text he shot a good buck.  Got to his stand about 515.  Day went a little worse.  Looked at his arrow just a couple pieces of hair no blood.  So I had him go to where he shot and place me at the shot location.  Well we found a little bit of white hair and 20yards later 1 quarter size drop of blood.

I asked what he shot the buck at he said he ranged it at 30.  Went back to look and the shot was pushing 45 and he was 12 ft up shooting down hill.  Between lack of blood on arrow,no fat,no smell,no blood on the ground and the miss yardage I truly believe he gave him a hair cut.  You can see where he jumped stopped(where we found blood) and he walked off.  I followed every trail in the area 30 yards after I lost his track and never found any blood and he went through waist high golden rod in some spots.

Side note we had 2 bucks following a doe on camera on 10/15 at 12pm.  One we believe is the one he hit.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chef said:

So I’ve been doing this when I leave the woods.... tonight as a example not a single deer in the neighborhood either

I have 3 places to hunt and they all have basically lost all the deer . i know the feeling. 

Two does today at my cabin in 5h. Rained from early till 10 so I sat in my climber from 11-630. The first doe bedded 20 yards from me and I had an itch I needed to scratch, I was happy when she left. Super thick up here but I have a couple shooting lanes. I heard a grunt at about 1:30 but couldn't locate him.

Having a couple beers next to the wood stove, listening to some Stevie Ray Vaughn and headed back out tomorrow for more fun. Suppose to be 30 in the morning, I will have layers on. 

Screenshot_20201024-214118_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201024-214031_Gallery.jpg

Had a good hunt tonight.... My buddy saw 4 and I saw 4 of the biggest doe I've ever seen in my life. Hunted a new section tonight and found a new primary bedding area... Also found a place where a resident bordering the state land has several stands set up, cut and mowed trails all on public. 10 minutes after I walked through there, a side by side comes flying through... I must had been on his cell cam. Illegal to run any motorized vehicle on this piece.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic