LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Final count 4 doe, 15 turkey , 2 coyotes in that field .

I’ve named this stand , “ the every deer will see you stand “ , put up in haste , to close to field ,wide open , will be Ok for rifle .

My buddy shot a nice buck at last light on his land ,right behind the shoulder ,no pass through ,it ran hard into golden rod, he sat 30 minutes backed out , I’ll be helping him look in the AM . 

• Like 4

Congrats to the successful hunters this weekend.

Was ready to go sat morning but too windy and rainy for this early and back to bed.

Hunted Saturday night and had the big lone doe I wanted come in but on a rope to my stand and the shot was at 6 yards which I don’t like 25’ in the air. I drew anyhow but didn’t feel it. This stand is far back and no wheeler access. Was losing light and the thought of tracking and dragging in the dark wasn’t appealing. It was odd that with 15mph the wind was up her ass.

Sunday morning in 8F was a bunch of rain that wasn’t called for or even on the radar. Another big lone doe around 8, no shot. Then a beautiful shooter 8 at 9:15, again no shot. Enough to get the knees shaky though.

Pulled some cams and 2 properties are pretty dead or like 2am. But action has picked up mid week and the bucks this AM was cruising so i think the chase is starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

Sunday morning in 8F was a bunch of rain that wasn’t called for or even on the radar.

I experienced that same rain this morning in 8N.......The radar was clean as a whistle and I couldn't believe it when I opened the Bilco door and was promptly getting wet.  It quit around 7:10am and that was that.  

I experienced that same rain this morning in 8N.......The radar was clean as a whistle and I couldn't believe it when I opened the Bilco door and was promptly getting wet.  It quit around 7:10am and that was that.  

Yep I check the weather when I wake up and when I opened the garage door I was like wtf is this shit lol. It quit around 8 and wasn’t a drencher but enough that I did have nice peaceful morning and didn’t hear either deer coming in.

I have good camo that doubles as good rain gear, so the boonie hat and I was all good haha

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Same here, Ben and I hunted behind our house this am, not a weather app said any rain.

1 minute ago, gjackson said:

Have any of you shot a deer where the arrow stayed in the deer and no blood trail?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That should be rephrased , who hasn’t had that happen . Without a pass through ,blood can be hard to find , as most comes from the exit wound as its lower , the higher entrance wound doesn’t bleed outside much . I’m tracking a friends buck tomorrow, no exit ,but a solid behind the shoulder hit . He wisely ,backed out gave it time to die .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gjackson said:

Have any of you shot a deer where the arrow stayed in the deer and no blood trail?

Yes. Hit one high , I did find blood the next morning. But it was an area about 12 ft long with some blood 100 yards from the shot. And then nothing in either direction.  Took me almost 5 hours of searching but found the.deer in a creekbed 500 yards from where I shot it with the arrow still in it almost pointing down at that point into the gut.  

Great weekend.  I seen 16 deer this weekend.  5 buck 3 button bucks and 8 doe.  I got some pictures and video of a spike hitting a couple of scrapes and licking branches.

I got pictures of a nice 6pt at 9 yrds this evening pawing in the scrape that and doing a licking branch

• Like 7

Yep. As others have said high hit with no pass through. Did not bleed until the deer started tipping over. Fortunately, deer did not go far.

Do you need help?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quick update on the season.. I'm in 8a, wny. Apple orchards, corn and beans for miles in all directions. I have access to 200+ acres that is 90% ag and is rimmed by oak. I mention all that because, in years past, deer were obviously abundant. This year though I've had very little camera activity and almost no bucks. My last pull showed fewer than 50 pix from 5 cameras over a 2 week period. No rubs yet, no scrapes. In 5 sits, I've seen one doe with a pair of fawns. There are lots of acorns, but they look mostly untouched. No reports of EHD in the area. I've talked to a few guys who hunt the area and they are reporting the same. The fields this year are corn which is still standing, so it's possible they're hiding in there out of site. 

Edited by Bolt action

36 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Quick update on the season.. I'm in 8a, wny. Apple orchards, corn and beans for miles in all directions. I have access to 200+ acres that is 90% ag and is rimmed by oak. I mention all that because, in years past, deer were obviously abundant. This year though I've had very little camera activity and almost no bucks. My last pull showed fewer than 50 pix from 5 cameras over a 2 week period. No rubs yet, no scrapes. In 5 sits, I've seen one doe with a pair of fawns. There are lots of acorns, but they look mostly untouched. No reports of EHD in the area. I've talked to a few guys who hunt the area and they are reporting the same. The fields this year are corn which is still standing, so it's possible they're hiding in there out of site. 

There in the corn, no reason to leave. Till rut.

• Like 2

I shot at a buck just before closing time. He looked good enough for me,although i saw a bigger one earlier. I had time to range and he walked past at 35. I stopped him with several bleats and shot. The lighted nock tracked true but the hit looked forward. He ran off. I waited and got down after dark and checked the hit site,expecting very little. That's what i got too,the arrow was buried and looked very clean. I found a tuft of hair and decided to track some. I got blood,but no bubbles. I thought maybe brisket or low neck/chest. I marked where i left,50 yds on the track.

I went home to tell my wife that i had to go out again and make sure the bleeding stopped. At first i wasn't even gonna take my bow,but i did. Well,much to my surprise the bloodtrail got thicker,but it still looked pretty bright,like muscle hit.

I found a bed and it was drenched. After that the trail looked really good for a while,then diminished some. Eventually it almost petered out. Thats where some deer were looking at me and my flashlight. The trail went to the left of them and to my surprise the buck was laying there,still alive. He couldn't get up and i finished him. Its not easy to shoot in the dark at 5 yds.  It turns out i hit him in the neck. I dont think i got much if any of the artery. My single bevel broadhead did good work though.

It pays to be lucky rather than good. That was the case tonight. 

There was some ground shrinkage,he was a forkhorn. The drag almost killed me,so i was happy he wasn't any bigger. I have to see if i can weigh him,he seemed big to me.

Either way,i am happy to have some meat in the freezer.

20201025_215752.jpg

20201025_221832.jpg

• Like 45

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m up. And raining. Every day off it rains 

Ok I’m getting up then and heading to my friends land as it hasn’t rained here yet ,and need to find blood . I’m not waiting for his text to leave .....

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic