LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Did not find friends buck . So he said the hit was very loud and penetration was poor ,I’m thinking shoulder bone and it’s basically ok . No blood, no arrow, no footprints , no hair, plus rain , so it wasn’t really a track . It went into the goldenrod field , buddy grid searched it on his ATV ,I checked the bushes and under the trees , in addiction to walking all the mowed paths looking for any sign ,nothing . I’d feel worse if I lost a good blood trail , or saw where it fell and got up, something that showed it’s hurt but nothing found .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Very nice buck, you did what we all woulda done! However don’t advertise that you shot in the dark, someone will get their panties in a bunch and report it. 

Yup,i completely forgot about that law. I know why it's on the books,but i can not picture anyone poaching deer with a bow in the dark. Maybe if you can light up a field and drive up to one,but in the woods by yourself with a headlamp? Damn near impossible.

I would pay the fine if it comes to that. I wouldn't just stand there and wait for the deer to die. Can you knife one legally?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Yup,i completely forgot about that law. I know why it's on the books,but i can not picture anyone poaching deer with a bow in the dark. Maybe if you can light up a field and drive up to one,but in the woods by yourself with a headlamp? Damn near impossible.

I would pay the fine if it comes to that. I wouldn't just stand there and wait for the deer to die. Can you knife one legally?

That's not as easy as it sounds..

12 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I believe you can but do you want to get that close to a distressed wild animal? You made the right choice!

Finally made it out for my first sit of the season with my son. On the way to our stand at around 3:15 we came up on some does feeding in the field. Made a 230 yard heart shot with the 308 And dropped her. Now spending the rest of the rainy evening sitting in our tower stand waiting to see if we can get a shot at a buck.

20201026_152850.jpg

20201026_160320-01.jpeg

• Like 46

Finally made it out for my first sit of the season with my son. On the way to our stand at around 3:15 we came up on some does feeding in the field. Made a 230 yard heart shot with the 308 And dropped her. Now spending the rest of the rainy evening sitting in our tower stand waiting to see if we can get a shot at a buck.
20201026_152850.thumb.jpg.15c0b05cbb3704764c4d2fef48cfb077.jpg
20201026_160320-01.thumb.jpeg.080a24e487455cbedccda75ed9eaa7b2.jpeg

Awesome! I probably make that shot one time out of ten lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

20201026_152850.thumb.jpg.15c0b05cbb3704764c4d2fef48cfb077.jpg
20201026_160320-01.thumb.jpeg.080a24e487455cbedccda75ed9eaa7b2.jpeg
Yea man !!!! Great stuff right there !!!!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I have knifed a few in the dark, to dispatch them after they had been struck by cars. It is a lot easier with a short, sharp blade, than a long dull one.  I dont like to see an animal suffer, and I am not overly concerned with the legality.

One time, I drove directly from the kill site, with a doe in the bed of my truck, to the police station.  The desk officer asked me if the deer had to be shot, as he was filling out my carcass tag. When I told him "no, I killed it with my knife". His reply to me was "that would be no".

Edited by wolc123

Hit a different public spot in 3g at end of day today. Based on the number of shells on the ground, looks like bird hunters had worked it over pretty well. Met a nice pheasant hunter on his way out while I was on my way in.

Settled in around 4 pm for a magic hour sit. Around 5 I make out an orange blob on an oak ridge line about 100 yards away from me. He makes his way down the ridge closer but not towards me. I whistle he sees me and waves. Comes over and let's me know he is squirrel hunting around me. He spends the next hour working the oak ridge for squirrels.

And that was the end of the action tonight. This spot is probably crossed off my list or I am going to have to go way further into it.

Weather looks wet for the next few days. I am probably resting up for Halloween hunt and next week. Good luck to all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

IDk, but i have no issue with what you did. id do the same. 

5 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Nice deer. Congrats on the bow kill! You did the right thing by shooting him again. Forget about the knife business. Keep shooting until they're dead. I tried to stab a liver shot buck once. Once lol. 

5 hours ago, josephmrtn said:

20201026_152850.jpg

20201026_160320-01.jpeg

Well done Joe......you've made us proud here!

• Like 1

Ended up seeing a total of 5 deer. Had 2 more does feeding about 50 yards from us in the tower stand but unfortunately I didn't have a clear shot due too the layout of the field and not having a good shooting lane in that direction so they got a pass tonight.

Edited to add: That doe was killed with a Hand loaded 150gr Winchester Power Point bullet with 44gr of Hodgdon 4895 powder and CCI rifle primer. So fun to be doing my own reloading again and seeing the results in the field. 

Edited by josephmrtn
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, josephmrtn said:

20201026_152850.jpg

20201026_160320-01.jpeg

Congratulations Joe! Great doe, great shot, great picture!

Nothing better than seeing things come full circle.

I agree with how it feels to shoot a deer with a round you made yourself! Did it the first time myself last year. Got lots of help from the fella's here too.

Now get that buck!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Is it me or wasn't there a day last year around Halloween that a bunch of people on here tagged bucks? 

Sorry off topic not trying to hijack the thread just kinda popped in my head.

It was Nov. 2nd,  2019 , proud participant !

E07B0C1B-F276-43BA-9287-216C4AD622ED.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 7

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic