LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

25 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Take em! They're supposed to be delicious. I'd love to get one stuffed. Can only imagine how much my taxidermist would love me if I brought him one of those prickly creatures or a skunk lol

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

They are cool to watch. If they were chewing up my cabin or sheds or something like that I would not hesitate but they seem to mind there own business. For now at least. If that changes I will have to give you a call so I can get your taxidermist.

• Like 1

Got out this morning hoping to beat the rain that was forecasted to start after noon. It started @ 8:30 and didn't quit. Had a small spike come in close and spooked when I tried to get a picture of him. Got home and it hadn't rained a drop here:banghead:

Climber and clothes are in the basement drying out for the fourth time of getting soaked based on weather forecasts. Probably going to need another dose of permethrin even though I haven't seen a tick yet.

IMG_20201029_075200[1].jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Got out this morning hoping to beat the rain that was forecasted to start after noon. It started @ 8:30 and didn't quit. Had a small spike come in close and spooked when I tried to get a picture of him. Got home and it hadn't rained a drop here:banghead:

Climber and clothes are in the basement drying out for the fourth time of getting soaked based on weather forecasts. Probably going to need another dose of permethrin even though I haven't seen a tick yet.

Are those aluminum game getters or the campo hunters? I have shot a few deer with those!! Great arrow!!

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

ugh man this weather and forecasting has sucked. Hopefully we're a little past "tick season"

5 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Good luck! I'm envious as I haven't been able to get hunt #1 in yet!

You haven't been out once yet? Stop following Hong Kong Phooey and the political threads and get out there! Hell man, I hate hunting in the rain and I've now done it 4 times.

One doe. Jumped her in a patch of spruce trees near a swamp, she damn near scared the $%#@ outta me. She waved bye and never looked back.

Another day of wet clothes and chilled. They said rain after 10AM. Pfffftttt! It was raining by 8.

Outer layers need a retreat of Sawyers and it looks like it will have to be Saturday after a morning hunt.

Edited by DirtTime
spell check makes up words
  • Haha 1

Didn't see any today. However at about 7 I heard a deer coming down the ridge towards the bowl I was in.  Shortly after i hear him destroying trees then nothing so I think he bedded down above me.  Never heard him walk away or keep rubbing trees.  Which isn't uncommon in that spot.  Then about 8 I had a deer blowing about 70-80 yards to my right.  No way it saw me or winded me it was blowing complete opposite direction i was thinking a coyote.  good news is on the way out I saw the handy work of a buck he had about every sapling ripped up and 3 or 4 scrapes.  Finally have some sign to show they are there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

You haven't been out once yet? Stop following Hong Kong Phooey and the political threads and get out there! Hell man, I hate hunting in the rain and I've now done it 4 times.

Haha! The internet hasn't been stopping me. Work has been a mess. Can't get time off, and if I factor in my commute, I'm doing 75-80 hr weeks since late September. Plus a weekend here or there. Up at 4:00 am, home at 8:00 pm is kicking my 62 year old ass. Working this Saturday as well. 

Haven't stepped in my woods in 6 weeks. Hoping to get out next weekend!

• Sad 3

Funny, I gave Kurt a few porcuppines a few years ago. He asked for them to mount for  a couple of guys that wnated them. I shoot around a dozen every year, munching on my cabin.
I'm jealous. Well not about them eating your cabin but being able to shoot one

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

31 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Haha! The internet hasn't been stopping me. Work has been a mess. Can't get time off, and if I factor in my commute, I'm doing 75-80 hr weeks since late September. Plus a weekend here or there. Up at 4:00 am, home at 8:00 pm is kicking my 62 year old ass. Working this Saturday as well. 

Haven't stepped in my woods in 6 weeks. Hoping to get out next weekend!

i finally have a few days off coming up.  Threatened to lick the floor at Walmart to be quarantined.   8 weeks of vacation on the books.  Max sick time, max personal. 

Hope you get out there Jerry all those hours just usually add up to time lost.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i finally have a few days off coming up.  Threatened to lick the floor at Walmart to be quarantined.   8 weeks of vacation on the books.  Max sick time, max personal. 

Hope you get out there Jerry all those hours just usually add up to time lost.  

I've got about 240 hours of vac on the books. Currently scheduled to have off M-W of rifle week, but the odds of that are diminishing. We'll see. Trying not to dwell on it as my attitude goes very sour very quickly. 

Was originally thinking of retiring at 65. But if I miss most of deer season this year..  well, it'll be the last one I miss due to work.

Just wish I had the stamina of a 50 year old, lol. Six hours of sleep a night isn't cutting it.

• Like 1

Just now, Steuben Jerry said:

I've got about 240 hours of vac on the books. Currently scheduled to have off M-W of rifle week, but the odds of that are diminishing. We'll see. Trying not to dwell on it as my attitude goes very sour very quickly. 

Was originally thinking of retiring at 65. But if I miss most of deer season this year..  well, it'll be the last one I miss due to work.

Just wish I had the stamina of a 50 year old, lol. Six hours of sleep a night isn't cutting it.

well this 50 year old wishes he had the stamina of a 40 year old.  lol.  If you can afford to retire do it .  You wont regret it.  I have buddies that kept working and then retired and said- wth was i thinking!?  

I am working to retire at 60 def by 62.  I never take a day off all winter, never took a day to work from home during covid, missed one day for a blood clot for crying out loud.  Stupid work ethic.  I am takinbg some days off!  If i won 2nd place in the lotto i know i could walk away from it all with ease, insurance is the tough part.  Hope you get out and hunt that zoo you have there.  Dont miss those times they dont come back.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

well this 50 year old wishes he had the stamina of a 40 year old.  lol.  If you can afford to retire do it .  You wont regret it.  I have buddies that kept working and then retired and said- wth was i thinking!?  

I am working to retire at 60 def by 62.  I never take a day off all winter, never took a day to work from home during covid, missed one day for a blood clot for crying out loud.  Stupid work ethic.  I am takinbg some days off!  If i won 2nd place in the lotto i know i could walk away from it all with ease, insurance is the tough part.  Hope you get out and hunt that zoo you have there.  Dont miss those times they dont come back.  

You make perfect sense, and I read you loud and clear. Actually I don't turn 62 til January. My SS dollar amount won't be too bad at that age. Anyways, I look at it as how much SS can I collect in my lifetime, not how much I can get monthly. Wife is same age and wants to work until 65 - health care is through her employer so that works out.

OK, that's enough derailing the Live thread! I'm currently living vicariously through all of you guys and have to get back to the live action.

• Like 2

I got out yesterday for the last couple of hours. Pretty windy but wind was in the right direction. Saw 2 doe way off and literally just at sunset this guy walks out and gives me a shot at 22 yds. He was walking to a scrape behind me, paid no attention to the little bit of moving I had to do to get on him. He never stopped walking even when I gave him a couple of bleahs. So I shot anyway. At first I thought it was high and too far back but he was angled away from me and I was in a stand so it actually was a good shot. He ran maybe 80 yds. And of course piled up in the thick stuff. I am so blessed! 2 deer with a bow! And I have great friends that came to help me with the track and drag!!

20201028_194926.thumb.jpg.35ff5b19ef0b947af1ca4883f993ae91.jpg
20201028_222921.thumb.jpg.2d9ff8b5d63e51782337b2d7d7bfcb2a.jpg
Great Buck congrats! I'm on long hrs today hoping to hit the woods in the morning. Good luck to everyone out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic