LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Hi guys, I shot a nice 8 point this morning, and could not find my arrow, (I looked for an hour and a half) so started looking for blood, and I found this on a tree tracking and then ended up jumping the buck. Does anyone know what this fleshy stuff is? Do you think it's a good sign he will go down? 
Capture.JPG.5fe7f7a24b53e4dcf3f001a60cbc0875.JPG

Looks like fat to me, he has a pretty large open wound, Grampy’s guess seems right to me, most likely a gut shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Thank you for the thorough response. I shot him when there was barely any sunlight (right around 7 o'clock), I had a meeting at 10 that I had to get too so I had to get a move on. I was planning to head out there around 4, that will be well over 8 hours, do you think that is a safe amount of time? I am hunting in 6s

Thats plenty time, at this point after 8 hours I would push him real hard, if you jump him out of his bed keep on him. Many may not recommend this method but from experience it works.. I have recovered 2 gut shot deer one with bow and other with rifle, waited a couple hours and then tracked them hard, jump them,  keep on them and basically ran them both down to the ground. Both instances after jumping them out of thier beds a few times they finally gave in due to exhaustion/trauma and was able to basically walk up to both and put them down. 

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

In my neck of the woods, that's too early for a legal or even safe shot, especially on a cloudy morning. Legal time was 7:40 this morning. Sure you got that right?

Whoops you're right, I texted my brother in Law at 7:36 right after so is was right around 7:30, it was definitely safe to shoot. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Its cold I would give that deer at least 8 hours. I think the rest have it right.

17 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Thank you for the thorough response. I shot him when there was barely any sunlight (right around 7 o'clock), I had a meeting at 10 that I had to get too so I had to get a move on. I was planning to head out there around 4, that will be well over 8 hours, do you think that is a safe amount of time? I am hunting in 6s

tough part is if left overnight on a gut shot yotes get on them quick.  If its me i prob go in just before dark to look.  In the old days i would 100% leave it overnight esp since it will be in the 20's but ive lost a couple to yotes in the last few years.  

7 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Eight hours may be enough. Get in there and look around. Hopefully he won't be far away. Bring lights, and your bow, just incase. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

tough part is if left overnight on a gut shot yotes get on them quick.  If its me i prob go in just before dark to look.  In the old days i would 100% leave it overnight esp since it will be in the 20's but ive lost a couple to yotes in the last few years.  

Coyote's aren't just a potential problem to where I am, it is basically a certainty that they would get that deer tonight if I don't get him first. I always have them on my cams to the point I am surprised there are as many deer as there are in the area I hunt 

• Like 1

Thats plenty time, at this point after 8 hours I would push him real hard, if you jump him out of his bed keep on him. Many may not recommend this method but from experience it works.. I have recovered 2 gut shot deer one with bow and other with rifle, waited a couple hours and then tracked them hard, jump them,  keep on them and basically ran them both down to the ground. Both instances after jumping them out of thier beds a few times they finally gave in due to exhaustion/trauma and was able to basically walk up to both and put them down. 

Do not do this if A. You have property line issues and B. You are inexperienced tracker.
That said it can work. I’ve done it. I find it easier to wait and not do the 2 mile chase though lol. If you shot him at 7.30 you should be looking now. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Son and I are setup, on way in we came across one of the biggest bucks I’ve see on our land. Looked like he was stuck with a doe and 2-3 other bucks were crushing around the. We had good wind so we backed out and re entered from another location, we have great wind we just need them to head our way!

Edited by Zag
  • Like 2

Thank you to everyone keeping my spirits up today. I’ve been hunting now for about 7 years and have not harvested anything worth showing, it feels so good to finally get a big buck like this and with the bow. I had guys reaching out to me to help find him who don’t even know me and that is truly awesome. 9 pointer in 6S 
77E67022-3E2C-475D-8628-E635568AB7AF.thumb.jpeg.d3cbdc00db781c61f55f3723e56ed606.jpeg
Nice buck!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Thank you to everyone keeping my spirits up today. I’ve been hunting now for about 7 years and have not harvested anything worth showing, it feels so good to finally get a big buck like this and with the bow. I had guys reaching out to me to help find him who don’t even know me and that is truly awesome. 9 pointer in 6S 

77E67022-3E2C-475D-8628-E635568AB7AF.jpeg

Boo yah!  Quarerting slightly towards, in the chest out the gut?  Feel free to wordy, we all like success stories!

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic