LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

At sunset today a baby buck came by my stand and started eating. It was cool at first, but he wouldn’t go away, and it was getting too dark to see so I had to come down. Eventually he walked away...only to stop and turn around and come back. Finally I decided screw it...if he sees me and gets spooked then oh well. So I climbed down as slowly and quietly as I could. And he just stood there, less than 20 yards away, watching me the whole time. I got to the ground, picked up my pack, gave him one last look, and walked home. And he still never ran away. 

• Like 5

At sunset today a baby buck came by my stand and started eating. It was cool at first, but he wouldn’t go away, and it was getting too dark to see so I had to come down. Eventually he walked away...only to stop and turn around and come back. Finally I decided screw it...if he sees me and gets spooked then oh well. So I climbed down as slowly and quietly as I could. And he just stood there, less than 20 yards away, watching me the whole time. I got to the ground, picked up my pack, gave him one last look, and walked home. And he still never ran away. 
We had a button buck years ago that hung around one stand in particular, you'd see him every sit and you could get within 20yds of him walking in and out, he didn't care at all. We named him Gunther. Unfortunately some hunters doing drives ended Gunther. I still think about that little dude though, he didn't stand a chance. I felt terrible for him. We even tried chasing him off to hopefully increase his fear of humans but he'd come right back.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Short sit tonight, saw 4 or 5 as legal ended, they kept me up in the tree until 5:30ish, once the crunching stopped i snuck down, and out

Seems like you are seeing far more deer than normal Bionic.  That’s awesome.  Keeps things exciting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Seems like you are seeing far more deer than normal Bionic.  That’s awesome.  Keeps things exciting. 

Yes sir, pretty excited about it, and feeling confident.  I purposely have stayed out of the woods, other than to build my tower blind(last minute thought).  I noticed that the last few years, while bow hunting, that I never really saw deer.  I honestly would hunt every second that I had available since bow opener...You might remember me sharing that info last year, well once crossbow started, I would see deer, then the sightings would fade until regular season, and then I would literally not see a deer during regular.  I thought about when I would get legal bucks cruising on trail cam day/night....that was always around Halloween, and after, so I said this year I was only going to hunt a few times until around Halloween...seems to be working.  I am thinking about taking all of next week off.  Congrats again on that beast, definitely what hunting dreams are made of.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Ill 2nd this!Definitely gets the blood flowing and the drive to get back out there.

being my cousin's first year in the woods with a bow and no sightings in first two days he asked me"is this how bow season is?".my response was,be patient it'll happen.now he wants to be in the blind all the time after his past few hunts!!!

• Like 2

I've never had much luck during a full moon, and this year was no exception. Saturday I sat for 7 hours and drew a blank. Sunday I sat from 9:30AM - 1:30PM and nothing. Monday I sat from noon till dark and saw nothing. This afternoon I finally got back into some action with a couple of fawn sightings and a small 8pt. I've been in deer all season until that full moon hit. Some of you guys had amazing hunts during that moon phase. I am definitely glad to see that moon getting smaller. 

Another tough PM sit in 3G. No recent sign or movement at my first spot so went for a slow still hunt to an alternate. New land to me, and I found tons of old rubs but nothing new. Didn't kick up anything either.

Ran into a nice guy in the parking lot who scored a Doe tonite for his first bow kill. Great to see the excitement. There in there, but the boys don't seem to be pushing them around yet.

Congrats to all that have scored.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Yes sir, pretty excited about it, and feeling confident.  I purposely have stayed out of the woods, other than to build my tower blind(last minute thought).  I noticed that the last few years, while bow hunting, that I never really saw deer.  I honestly would hunt every second that I had available since bow opener...You might remember me sharing that info last year, well once crossbow started, I would see deer, then the sightings would fade until regular season, and then I would literally not see a deer during regular.  I thought about when I would get legal bucks cruising on trail cam day/night....that was always around Halloween, and after, so I said this year I was only going to hunt a few times until around Halloween...seems to be working.  I am thinking about taking all of next week off.  Congrats again on that beast, definitely what hunting dreams are made of.

You may be right.  Not burning out spots and waiting until the time is right is a good strategy.  I do that with some specific stands like the one that I sat last Sat.  Time it right! Good luck.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

That was right next to the farm house man!  Lots of tracks, and I saw a buck cruising, was a good 

I  didn't see the farm house in the pic that's why I said that and the bucks are on the move for sure I know multiple people dropping good deer good luck out there

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You may be right.  Not burning out spots and waiting until the time is right is a good strategy.  I do that with some specific stands like the one that I sat last Sat.  Time it right! Good luck.  

Thank you Moog! A little challenging with only 5 acres here at home, the 80 out back that I have sole permission to hunt on...the land owner is an absolute panicked nutjob.  I could tell you stories for hours, but its not like me to badmouth people.  I appreciate the permission, but just for a hint of what I am dealing with, the landowner does not want coyotes taken, and when she sees a coyote deer kill, she insists its poachers. I have never in almost 10 yrs had a stranger on trail cam, or issues.    I find myself year, after year, looking to stick to my own 5 acres.  Point is, it is difficult to not burn out my 3 stands on the 5 acres, but I am disciplining myself.  I am not complaining though, I truly love just being out there.  

• Like 3

I've never had much luck during a full moon, and this year was no exception. Saturday I sat for 7 hours and drew a blank. Sunday I sat from 9:30AM - 1:30PM and nothing. Monday I sat from noon till dark and saw nothing. This afternoon I finally got back into some action with a couple of fawn sightings and a small 8pt. I've been in deer all season until that full moon hit. Some of you guys had amazing hunts during that moon phase. I am definitely glad to see that moon getting smaller. 

No truer words spoken on this forum!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I decided to pass on the morning hunt. When I woke up, the wind had shifted to WSW. I really needed a NW. Thankfully it was forecasted to switch back for the afternoon. I got done at work a little early and I was in my blind by 3:45. At around 4:30 my number 2 buck came down the trail leading to my ground blind. At 20 yards before he got to my shooting lane I drew. But he ended up stopping to make a scrape. I couldn’t shoot because he was still behind a bunch of brush. After about 3 minutes, I let down and waited for him to finish. Once he started moving, I drew again. This time he stopped at 8 yards facing me right behind a tree to hit another scrape. I held for what felt like an eternity. I didn’t want to let down because he was right on the edge of my lane. He eventually finished and took a quick step to his left and was on the move. I let it fly, but I hit him a touch back. He walked off hunched up and bedded down about 40 yards away on the edge of the clearing. After about 10 minutes he got up slowly and walked into the thicket. I snuck out of the blind and I’ll be back there at first light. I didn’t look for my arrow yet. I figured even if it was liver, I’d still need to give him plenty of time. Either way, it’s best to give him plenty of time and go get him in the morning. Thankfully we don’t have any coyotes to worry about or else I’d be back in there later tonight. 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I decided to pass on the morning hunt. When I woke up, the wind had shifted to WSW. I really needed a NW. Thankfully it was forecasted to switch back for the afternoon. I got done at work a little early and I was in my blind by 3:45. At around 4:30 my number 2 buck came down the trail leading to my ground blind. At 20 yards before he got to my shooting lane I drew. But he ended up stopping to make a scrape. I couldn’t shoot because he was still behind a bunch of brush. After about 3 minutes, I let down and waited for him to finish. Once he started moving, I drew again. This time he stopped at 8 yards facing me right behind a tree to hit another scrape. I held for what felt like an eternity. I didn’t want to let down because he was right on the edge of my lane. He eventually finished and took a quick step to his left and was on the move. I let it fly, but I hit him a touch back. He walked off hunched up and bedded down about 40 yards away on the edge of the clearing. After about 10 minutes he got up slowly and walked into the thicket. I snuck out of the blind and I’ll be back there at first light. I didn’t look for my arrow yet. I figured even if it was liver, I’d still need to give him plenty of time. Either way, it’s best to give him plenty of time and go get him in the morning. Thankfully we don’t have any coyotes to worry about or else I’d be back in there later tonight. 

Good luck on recovery.  I think you are doing the right thing.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Good luck sounds like you did the right thing.  As long as he didn't see you sneak out he should be close.

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic