LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Out in 3g. Car said 28 degrees but set to warm up throughout the day. Barely any wind movement.

Sitting in a blow down off a thick field that has some bedding areas. Hope to find one sneaking back to its bed or getting up to stretch it's legs on a walkabout.

Moon was bright and almost overhead on the walk in. Didn't even need head lamp. Could have used my release however. Got all the way in and realized it's on the floor of my garage. Luckily I have an old one in the pack.

Good luck to all going out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bumped two on way in. Wasn’t using a light as the moon was plenty. The first jumped like 30 feet from me. Bounded 30 yards and stopped. So I did. Then I just slowly kept going. I heard the deer move a bit but didn’t blow out. 40 yards farther I jump another that one does not go far either but as I continued on I could hear it walking away. Got all set up in stand and 6:10 I hear deer out front. Still pretty dark. Then I hear a second following grunting. I got binos on him at maybe 70 yards out. Big body, too dim to make out rack. I’m thinking it’s the two I bumped. Now it’s almost legal let’s see if I can have some luck!

36 out barely wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Had a doe and 2 fawns walk by at 12 yards. 5 min later, they came back by watching behind them and alert. A few min later a 4pt appeared hot on their trail! He was grunting and charging them. Cool only being 12 yards from them and having a front row seat! Had bad thoughts there for a minute, as those 2 would have made a welcomed addition to my freezer! But,.............

• Like 4

Had 2 bucks fighting in the cut corn 75 yds in front of me on the walk in. Cell cam just sent a good buck working field edge. And the 10pt on our lease got dusted last night. There were 5 bucks after one doe, only 4 bucks left. Weirdest/luckiest shot ever too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’ve not had a year with so few sightings in a longtime . Normally I see 6 or so deer 3 out of 4 sits many in range , I would say this year most sits zippo . 

OD was great , 6 bucks 3 nice ones , I’ve seen two bucks from my stand since !

I was going to sit till 11 go eat lunch , nap in truck be back on stand by 1, not sure I can last till 9 now .

Thank you Moog! A little challenging with only 5 acres here at home, the 80 out back that I have sole permission to hunt on...the land owner is an absolute panicked nutjob.  I could tell you stories for hours, but its not like me to badmouth people.  I appreciate the permission, but just for a hint of what I am dealing with, the landowner does not want coyotes taken, and when she sees a coyote deer kill, she insists its poachers. I have never in almost 10 yrs had a stranger on trail cam, or issues.    I find myself year, after year, looking to stick to my own 5 acres.  Point is, it is difficult to not burn out my 3 stands on the 5 acres, but I am disciplining myself.  I am not complaining though, I truly love just being out there.  

If you have a yote problem and want some help, after season I’ll gladly come hunt them with you

• Like 1

I decided to pass on the morning hunt. When I woke up, the wind had shifted to WSW. I really needed a NW. Thankfully it was forecasted to switch back for the afternoon. I got done at work a little early and I was in my blind by 3:45. At around 4:30 my number 2 buck came down the trail leading to my ground blind. At 20 yards before he got to my shooting lane I drew. But he ended up stopping to make a scrape. I couldn’t shoot because he was still behind a bunch of brush. After about 3 minutes, I let down and waited for him to finish. Once he started moving, I drew again. This time he stopped at 8 yards facing me right behind a tree to hit another scrape. I held for what felt like an eternity. I didn’t want to let down because he was right on the edge of my lane. He eventually finished and took a quick step to his left and was on the move. I let it fly, but I hit him a touch back. He walked off hunched up and bedded down about 40 yards away on the edge of the clearing. After about 10 minutes he got up slowly and walked into the thicket. I snuck out of the blind and I’ll be back there at first light. I didn’t look for my arrow yet. I figured even if it was liver, I’d still need to give him plenty of time. Either way, it’s best to give him plenty of time and go get him in the morning. Thankfully we don’t have any coyotes to worry about or else I’d be back in there later tonight. 

Good luck

I took a walk to check my two Cam's yesterday with Ladder in hand and halfway down the trail I stopped just to see if anything was moving . I could see my Ladder Stand from where I was and noticed after about 10 minutes movement at  the stand . Well it turned out to be a nice Doe standing directly under my Ladder Stand ! So I froze and waited to see where she went , well she stayed there and along comes another Doe and another Doe and a total of 5 Does of which 3 were shooters ! I am not a Bow hunter but will be there this Saturday for Cross Bow !

DoesByStand.JPG

• Like 5

Had a small buck chase a doe by behind me. Then I see a deer running 200 yards out in front of me back and forth. Looked all alone? Then the doe and small buck run right to me from my left. Then went back behind me. Exciting for a minute. Need a bigger boy to join the game!

9a2d383442399be1fc1259bfcf6f0f5f.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/2/2020 at 6:26 PM, sbuff said:

I think I remember the misses more than the harvests. 

I think that works for women as well. 

Finally seeing deer in my stand. Got a late start today and walked past two older fawns in my yard. Climbed up my ridge and had another doe bolt when I made it to my stand. Oh well. 

Settled in and heard a crunch behind me. Froze and waited as a good sized deer followed my footsteps to my stand. She stopped at my 9:00 o’clock and stared eating. I need her to walk 15 feet forward but she doesn’t. Turns around and casually walks and feeds in the other direction. 

Closer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cabin Fever said:

Hunting until ~9:30, then heading to work for 3-4hrs, before getting back to the stand for the evening shift. Closing on my new house in Canandaigua in 4 weeks and need to save some vacation time for moving! Woo-hoo!!

You didn't happen to pick up acreage there - good area.  Congrats on the new home.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic