LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

17 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

They will, but i think the movement will be hamperd for sure

When the daytime temps rise during this time of the hunting season. It's good to remember that in the shadows, and woods, it could be 5 to 10 degrees cooler, than out in the open and sunny areas. If you were wearing a heavy winter coat, where would you rather be? Hunt accordingly. They will be moving somewhere, at some point during the rut? Try to set up where they are 'most likely' to be. Just an observation from an old fart.

• Like 12

After flipping through the last few pages it seems like today is  the day. I also had the same experience and saw some deer today. One buck crossed the road in front of me on the way to hunt (still dark). Had a small ugly 6 point come in a little after 8:00. Shortly after 2 doe and a fawn came in. The buck got after the does but they wanted no part of it. The woods is full of acorns but they fed under this one big oak for about 1/2 hour and meandered off.

It started to get pretty warm and the wind got pretty busy so I got down got all packed up, just got the climber on my back, and caught movement  in the pines. A decent 8 point came walking through at about 40 yards with his nose on the ground like he was on a mission.

I was beginning to think maybe I was in a woods with a spell on it.

IMG_20201105_073657[1].jpg

IMG_20201105_073641[1].jpg

IMG_20201105_092649[1].jpg

• Like 7

They will, but i think the movement will be hamperd for sure

When the daytime temps rise during this time of the hunting season. It's good to remember that in the shadows, and woods, it could be 5 to 10 degrees cooler, than out in the open and sunny areas. If you were wearing a heavy winter coat, where would you rather be? Hunt accordingly. They will be moving somewhere, at some point during the rut? Try to set up where they are 'most likely' to be. Just an observation from an old fart.

My dad took a quick walk on a Stateland spot in 3N today. It’s beginning! Fresh rubs, scrapes and a snake! Lol

e9b61964eb2f3f87aaa340c689c8c01a.jpg221796955343c18fa0ad1179db71f21d.jpg3240ce97848ca24d4b17fa7b1d1e5aa9.jpgd1938f7fa50c4fe5ccaf19ad043051ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

Fully rested, new attitude heading down soon. Stand I moved awhile ago, front of the woods ,where it’s shaded and cooler . Although most  a bucks I’ve killed in the rut , chasing does, doesn’t seem to care where they run to, sunny, shady  open , thick ,or all of the above if the doe runs there so will he . He may start the search in cool areas , where they end up is open .

I’m hoping to check them scent checking the two nearby bedding areas .

I wonder of the deer think, it’s hot, the hunters all have heavy clothes , so stay out of cool areas , that’s where they’ll be .....

• Like 2

After flipping through the last few pages it seems like today is  the day. I also had the same experience and saw some deer today. One buck crossed the road in front of me on the way to hunt (still dark). Had a small ugly 6 point come in a little after 8:00. Shortly after 2 doe and a fawn came in. The buck got after the does but they wanted no part of it. The woods is full of acorns but they fed under this one big oak for about 1/2 hour and meandered off.
It started to get pretty warm and the wind got pretty busy so I got down got all packed up, just got the climber on my back, and caught movement  in the pines. A decent 8 point came walking through at about 40 yards with his nose on the ground like he was on a mission.
I was beginning to think maybe I was in a woods with a spell on it.

478673573_IMG_20201105_0736571.thumb.jpg.90a0604a1de37c3b0e3f815de77a238e.jpg
946750165_IMG_20201105_0736411.thumb.jpg.a8eb2e60e40c5b0044c202f02c76315f.jpg
2047616241_IMG_20201105_0926491.thumb.jpg.165f9363883f5d1e83d97d93bb01a4ff.jpg
What's with the skull tree?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Man, you olg guys are full of knowledge!  Great tip.

Hunting some old stomping grounds saw 2 nice bucks so far. They seem to cruising today even with the warm weather. Now I just need one close enough!

Edited by biggamefish

My .02 on the matter, the warm weather doesn't necessarily slow the bucks down a lot but the does get more and more harassed this time of year so I think they are the ones who might lay a bit lower, especially when it's real warm for time of year. The bucks that are "in between" does are going to search pretty hard regardless of temps. I believe the does movements are as big of a factor as the bucks. I'm still getting bucks on their feet every single day but less does now. The 10pt my buddy shot the other night was chasing a doe with 4 other bucks. The thought of being "gang raped" probably doesn't appeal to many does and most females don't like being harassed by a group of males. Warm weather also doesn't drive the does to feed as heavy as cold temps. So in my mind if all you have to hunt is warm weather this time of year, don't let is dissuade you. Now is still your best time to kill a big buck, regardless of temperature.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I sat yesterday afternoon in 3M, was 65 degrees but I saw 3 doe and 5 different bucks. 4 of the bucks passed by me at about 20 yds. A couple of 6 pt and 4 pt 

One was a nice 8 but unfortunately he was the only one not to come  in range. Several of the bucks sparred with each other. Also watched a cool encounter with a young doe and fox literally 5 feet from each other about 10 yards in front of me. The doe stomped her hoof a few times and fox said see you later.

Definitely seeing new scrapes and rubs. 
And plenty of action on camera. Activity is picking up. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, left field said:

Are these rubs? Near a fresh scrape and beside each other but the second one looks a little too even. 

If so, how do I hunt them? Morning or afternoon? They are halfway up a ridge and I can set up on the ground above or below them, wind dependent. 

86DA17DB-FE93-4F78-B34E-DAA0892EC56F.jpeg

6BE494C5-E0CC-4482-BFAC-D88B4E433EFC.jpeg

No.. See my above post for recent rub pics. If they are fresh you will see the tree bark on top of the leaves.

• Like 1

Are these rubs? Near a fresh scrape and beside each other but the second one looks a little too even. 
If so, how do I hunt them? Morning or afternoon? They are halfway up a ridge and I can set up on the ground above or below them, wind dependent. 

86DA17DB-FE93-4F78-B34E-DAA0892EC56F.thumb.jpeg.3d18cbeb5ab2f21fa9071737b820cdef.jpeg
6BE494C5-E0CC-4482-BFAC-D88B4E433EFC.thumb.jpeg.0fd0e90c2d0e7828bb36773fb4ac76fa.jpeg

Not from what I can see. I found these today 84df747f8269adc9ed4d3218bdacecf2.jpgedbc1d11f0e888ab1531acbad96d25d8.jpg206a1f8d68745521d4301bdf93a0bc89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic