LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Early mornings are going to be the game I think. In the tree again and feel like I’m probably wasting my time.

You guys who punched your tags be grateful as it doesn’t cool till Wednesday here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too! I was a bit too eager to get out of the office and into the stand this afternoon! Got here at 1:00 and can’t wait until dark to leave! Just saw a beautiful red fox, but that’s been the high point so far. My back is killing me, as the tree leans forward a bit, so I can’t even sit up straight.

My .02 on the matter, the warm weather doesn't necessarily slow the bucks down a lot but the does get more and more harassed this time of year so I think they are the ones who might lay a bit lower, especially when it's real warm for time of year. The bucks that are "in between" does are going to search pretty hard regardless of temps. I believe the does movements are as big of a factor as the bucks. I'm still getting bucks on their feet every single day but less does now. The 10pt my buddy shot the other night was chasing a doe with 4 other bucks. The thought of being "gang raped" probably doesn't appeal to many does and most females don't like being harassed by a group of males. Warm weather also doesn't drive the does to feed as heavy as cold temps. So in my mind if all you have to hunt is warm weather this time of year, don't let is dissuade you. Now is still your best time to kill a big buck, regardless of temperature.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Agree with this. But a combo of cool weather and the rut is a crazy experience. So this just dampens it and I think also increase nighttime activity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

Early mornings are going to be the game I think. In the tree again and feel like I’m probably wasting my time.

You guys who punched your tags be grateful as it doesn’t cool till Wednesday here.

Hang in there. By one of our stands at 4:40 yesterday afternoon. Can happen anytime. 

40350.jpeg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Yeah, me too! I was a bit too eager to get out of the office and into the stand this afternoon! Got here at 1:00 and can’t wait until dark to leave! Just saw a beautiful red fox, but that’s been the high point so far. My back is killing me, as the tree leans forward a bit, so I can’t even sit up straight.

I hate those trees 

BIZ PREDICTION TIME - @The Jerkman will see a nice buck between 11/6 and 11/16. This is based on my knowledge from a conference call I just got off of with the following people:

1. Jerkman's Boss
  2. Jerkman's Wife
  3. Jerkman's Parents
  4. Jerkman's Grandparents
  5. Jerkman's hunting spot landowner (i.e., the zookeeper)
  6. Zookeeper's landscapers
  7. Jerkman's ophthalmologist

They all assured me that he is free & clear to hunt the next 10 straight days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BIZ PREDICTION TIME - [mention=3682]The Jerkman[/mention] will see a nice buck between 11/6 and 11/16. This is based on my knowledge from a conference call I just got off of with the following people:
  1. Jerkman's Boss
  2. Jerkman's Wife
  3. Jerkman's Parents
  4. Jerkman's Grandparents
  5. Jerkman's hunting spot landowner (i.e., the zookeeper)
  6. Zookeeper's landscapers
  7. Jerkman's ophthalmologist
They all assured me that he is free & clear to hunt the next 10 straight days.
Thanks for jinxing me you DOUCHE!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

Had a doe and 2 fawns come out and feed out infront of me until it was time to climb down. Grunted at her a few times hoping she would leave, but nope. So i had my wife send my daughter back to spook them...she walked back a little ways and let out a blood curtailing scream! Well, it got them nervous enough they slowly walked back away from me. Hunting all day tomorrow, gotta get a buck!

20201105_171128.jpg

• Like 7

Sat till dark on a ridgeline with oak overlooking a swamp and bedding. Nada. My heart skipped a few times at some leaves crunching only to reveal a tree rat.

Hiked back to the parking lot and what was empty at 1 was packed by dark. Hunting pressure is picking up.

I won't say depressing but frustrating season so far. I thought EHD was blown out of proportion but wondering if it had a significant impact on the local herd. Sign, sightings and movement all down over prior years. Still great to be out in the woods.

Giving another shot in the am and then finding different public to start some hail marys on.

Good luck to all out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sat till dark on a ridgeline with oak overlooking a swamp and bedding. Nada. My heart skipped a few times at some leaves crunching only to reveal a tree rat.

Hiked back to the parking lot and what was empty at 1 was packed by dark. Hunting pressure is picking up.

I won't say depressing but frustrating season so far. I thought EHD was blown out of proportion but wondering if it had a significant impact on the local herd. Sign, sightings and movement all down over prior years. Still great to be out in the woods.

Giving another shot in the am and then finding different public to start some hail marys on.

EHD is definitely effecting region 3. I’ve seen a lot of posts on Hudson Valley Forum too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

35 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

The EHD area of region 3 is very hit, or miss from what I see/hear locally.  Where I work, we have 2 decent sized ponds, where deer are numerous, ZERO deer found on this property.  Literally 5 miles away on the Wallkill River, several have been found.  I know a gentleman who found 9 within a few hr kayak stroll on that river one afternoon.  Just adding this for reference for you for whatever it may be worth.

• Like 1

The EHD area of region 3 is very hit, or miss from what I see/hear locally.  Where I work, we have 2 decent sized ponds, where deer are numerous, ZERO deer found on this property.  Literally 5 miles away on the Wallkill River, several have been found.  I know a gentleman who found 9 within a few hr kayak stroll on that river one afternoon.  Just adding this for reference for you for whatever it may be worth.
Appreciate it. That's why I may be changing locale a bit to see if that has any benefit. Can't be any worse is my logic. Good luck out there.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic