LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

No excuses. I'm simply not setting up where the deer are when they move. We've played this game many times. Eventually I might get it right...lol
Good luck with the recovery of that monster Don!

Ah the ole 2 step.

If it wasn’t challenging it wouldn’t be rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok, I’ll play...

So I shot a deer today, maybe the best deer ever, a spectacular deer, quite amazing actually, a tremendous deer. That’s what they say anyway, we’ll see. Could be the best deer ever. I don’t know? We’ll have to wait and see. I can tell you that it was a big deer, maybe the biggest ever. We’re going to wait until tomorrow to recover the deer, a really good deer. Could be the best deer ever. The shot was good, looked good, looked great, really great...actually. But the experts say we should wait. We’ll see. Fake news, those killers back there won’t tell you it’s a good idea to wait, but we know. We’re going to wait and do the right thing, the best thing. Trust me, tomorrow we will have a great deer in the truck, perhaps the best deer ever. But they won’t report it, they won’t tell you what a great deer it is.
THE DONALD.

Hows that?

Perfect! Wolcs a good hunter and knows his stuff, but waiting and risking some meat vs bumping and no meat is absolutely the right call.

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

There’s enough for a haircut, but not 4”, anyone whose ever taken back straps out knows this.

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post a cutaway of the anatomy in that region, so that you can see how thick the meat is above the spine over the lungs.  This is the area many refer to as "no man's land", thinking their arrow passed below the spine, when it is in fact above. 

Deer will often recover from such an arrow hit but a bullet usually makes everything numb and limp behind, because the shock severs the spine.

By pure coincidence, I have put shotgun slugs thru there on the last two opening days of gun season.  Both of those 3.5 year old deer (buck and doe), required a finisher to the neck as they tried to drag themselves away with their front legs.

I am very well aware how thick the meat is above the spine in that area after having so recently needing to trim away a few bloodied and holed chops in that area.  Fortunately, shotgun slugs (one 12 ga sabot. And a 16 ga foster last year), are heavy and slow enough that only a couple of chops was lost on each.

Do you think there is room to get an arrow over the lungs and under the spine ?

• Like 1

Saw 5 bucks so far 4 points and small 6, and 1 mature doe. I think they're checking her. Watched her walk up to a stand I put up 2 months ago and smell the steps and look up in the seat 20 feet up.  I've never sat there! Wtf! I'm towards the bottom of a hill and getting concerned about thermals,  throwing milkweed like crazy hope the wind picks up or I gotta get out of here

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post a cutaway of the anatomy in that region, so that you can see how thick the meat is above the spine over the lungs.  This is the area many refer to as "no man's land", thinking their arrow passed below the spine, when it is in fact above. 

Deer will often recover from such an arrow hit but a bullet usually makes everything numb and limp behind, because the shock severs the spine.

By pure coincidence, I have put shotgun slugs thru there on the last two opening days of gun season.  Both of those 3.5 year old deer (buck and doe), required a finisher to the neck as they tried to drag themselves away with their front legs.

I am very well aware how thick the meat is above the spine in that area after having so recently needing to trim away a few bloodied and holed chops in that area.  Fortunately, shotgun slugs (one 12 ga sabot. And a 16 ga foster last year), are heavy and slow enough that only a couple of chops was lost on each.

Do you think there is room to get an arrow over the lungs and under the spine ?

Above the spine over the lungs?

If you’re talking the gap above the vitals and BELOW the spine then we’re on the same page, but unless your deer lay on their backs for you I think most of us call that below.

Glad we’re good now and good luck my friend. It’s finally a calm and relatively cool morning and I’ve already seen 2 deer already.

I've found it depends on the combine. The old ones used to leave a ton of corn all over for easy picking .  The new ones make the field look like a parking lot and nothing is left. 
I guess though, hard to go wrong with a cornfield.  Good luck
Did they chop it then vs pick it for ears of corn only? That makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

Above the spine over the lungs?

If you’re talking the gap above the vitals and BELOW the spine then we’re on the same page, but unless your deer lay on their backs fit you I think most of us call that below.

Glad we’re good now and good luck my friend. It’s finally a calm and relatively cool morning and I’ve already seen 2 deer.

If you and the deer are both standing on the ground, at the same level, do you think you can pass an arrow above the lungs, but under the spine ?

I dont think there is room to do that.  I do know of at least one 3.5 year old buck that surely had more than 3 inches of meat over his spine, having personally removed the holed chop and tossing it into the garbage.

That is plenty of room to pass an arrow thru with a lot more than a haircut.  The thought went thru my mind last November 2, that was where my arrow passed.  Fortunately, it was about 6 inches lower, right on target. I am hoping that Don's was also and he gets a quick recovery.  All I can do from here is pray and I did.

No deer activity yet this morning so plenty of time to argue.  The leaves are very dry and crunchy so nothing is going to sneak past my radar (ears).

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic