LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

we are saying the same thing. There is a dead zone above lungs and below spine yes. You had orginally stated "above" spine, which I had thought meant that  a standing deer could be hit above the spine where there is 4" of fat/meat, when in fact the spine is basically touching the hide of the deer and no room for anything than a hair cut if missed high.

You cannot send an arrow below the spine and above the lungs, this topic has been exhausted on hundreds of threads on AT, Bowsite, Rokslide you name it. We could start another thread, its a fascinating topic 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You cannot send an arrow below the spine and above the lungs, this topic has been exhausted on hundreds of threads on AT, Bowsite, Rokslide you name it. We could start another thread, its a fascinating topic 

I wish I had done a better autopsy on this buck.  I hit it with my bow in early November and was unable to recover it.  I then shot it during gun season later in November - appeared to be quite healthy.  I would have thought the shot with the bow had hit high lungs, but obviously it didn't.

Edited by escpen

14 minutes ago, escpen said:

I wish I had done a better autopsy on this buck.  I hit it with my bow in early November and was unable to recover it.  I then shot it during gun season later in November - appeared to be quite healthy.  I would have thought the shot with the bow had hit high lungs, but obviously it didn't.

Unless you were at five yards and in a stand that shot is well above the spine

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Tacks

I never believed a buck could be shot below spine and survive.  But the buck I saw at WNY bowhunters last year clearly had a entrance and exit hole under the spine in the cavity where the lungs are.   He made it and was later shot in gun.   Again, I would not have believed it.  You definitely can shoot backstraps above spine, but this was clearly below.  It was truly a that can't be moment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

7 30 am for me in 8g.... It was one of those big does too. Plain and simple.... Put the wrong pin on her at 18 yds and went right over her. I'm so bummed. I did the exact same thing last season too. She got into my head

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

my dad will only shoot 1 pin for this exact reason. I like the vertical double pin I have, but imagine I'll likely never use the 35 yard as only a few stands even have shots at that distance. Something to consider, as my old man says it's one less thing to worry or think about during the already stressful situation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Tacks

I never believed a buck could be shot below spine and survive.  But the buck I saw at WNY bowhunters last year clearly had a entrance and exit hole under the spine in the cavity where the lungs are.   He made it and was later shot in gun.   Again, I would not have believed it.  You definitely can shoot backstraps above spine, but this was clearly below.  It was truly a that can't be moment.

I dont disagree that they can survive, although its an outlier for sure, but you cant miss the lungs below the spine. Theyre "glued" to the top of the rib cage and the spine dips below between them

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

my dad will only shoot 1 pin for this exact reason. I like the vertical double pin I have, but imagine I'll likely never use the 35 yard as only a few stands even have shots at that distance. Something to consider, as my old man says it's one less thing to worry or think about during the already stressful situation. 

I liked the single pin slider but made so many changes to my setup this season I just couldnt keep up with changing the damned tapes, its a timely process. Next season I will be back to it. In two seasons hunting with it I never moved it though, I think I killed four deer with it set at 20

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, escpen said:

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

ok. I'm sitting looking at a deer. the deer is on all 4 legs. There is no 4" of  "above" the spine. It's below. 

deer.thumb.jpg.55df69f057ffd3642a8017d2feb7d772.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont disagree that they can survive, although its an outlier for sure, but you cant miss the lungs below the spine. Theyre "glued" to the top of the rib cage and the spine dips below between them

i agree that it's unlikely non-lethal. But it's possible. 

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Tacks

That buck you saw at WNY Bowhunters last year is the buck in those pictures.

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

ok. I'm sitting looking at a deer. the deer is on all 4 legs. There is no 4" of  "above" the spine. It's below. 

deer.thumb.jpg.55df69f057ffd3642a8017d2feb7d772.jpg

The blue line is the spinal cord.   You are pointing out vertebrae but the spinal cord is the blue line.  Perhaps spinal cord vs vertebrae should be clarified.   You can definitely shoot above the cord and will not likely recover.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The blue line is the spinal cord.   You are pointing out vertebrae but the spinal cord is the blue line.  Perhaps spinal cord vs vertebrae should be clarified.   You can definitely shoot above the cord and will not likely recover.  

i'll admit to never spineing a deer, but idk man... point is that it wouldn't have blead like Don's deer did if hit "above" :)

Edited by Belo

2 hours ago, Belo said:

we are saying the same thing. There is a dead zone above lungs and below spine yes. You had orginally stated "above" spine, which I had thought meant that  a standing deer could be hit above the spine where there is 4" of fat/meat, when in fact the spine is basically touching the hide of the deer and no room for anything than a hair cut if missed high.

This is interesting. When we pulled the lungs from the buck yesterday morning we saw on slice across the top of each lung, maybe 1/2" deep, of course they were deflated so who knows what that meant upon impact, BUT my son, a fan of 3-4 blade fixed heads, made a comment... "if that 2 blade Killzone where rotated 90 degrees do you think this would this be a dead deer?" My opinion is a 100% yes, the lungs are pressed to the ribs/spine, I'm not anatomy expert, but I'm pretty sure if its under the spine, its in the lungs.

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'll admit to never spineing a deer, but idk man... point is that it wouldn't have blead like Don's deer did if hit "above" :)

Nope it wouldn't have. I did hit a deer above the spine one time when Rage first came out. That thing flew like a cork screw and skimmed the top of the deer. It was shot a few days later by the farmer. the wound was clear and nasty, but it was a muscle wound only.

Edited by Don_C

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

4a78e0de31ae5d19599e95956005c8fe.jpg

I left for the morning but here’s a pic of my dad. He stayed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man, this pic choked me right up. I spend a lot of time in the tree thinking about the times I spend hunting with my Dad. Enjoy every minute of them Biz..

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

4a78e0de31ae5d19599e95956005c8fe.jpg

I left for the morning but here’s a pic of my dad. He stayed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, Don_C said:

Man, this pic choked me right up. I spend a lot of time in the tree thinking about the times I spend hunting with my Dad. Enjoy every minute of them Biz..

Same here Don. I would give just about anything for the day you just had Biz.  Thanks for the pic. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Same here Don. I would give just about anything for the day you just had Biz.  Thanks for the pic. 

I got to meet Bizs dad a couple months ago, hes a great guy. Was delighted to show us all his trophys and hes got an impressive collection. I guess what im trying to say is that Biz is adopted

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

23 minutes ago, Belo said:

Now that moog has shown where the spine is, can you see that there is about 4 inches of meat above it, and plenty of.room for more than  haircut without touching a lung ?

The spine drops down behind the shoulder and it sounds like you were getting it mixed up with the vertebrae, which runs just under the hide.

A bullet passing thru that space, between the vertebrae and the spine, will often paralize the back end, due to the shock power, but an arrow relies on cutting, making that usually non lethal hit.  Don's hit was below the spine.

Edited by wolc123

Shot an 8 pt this morning. Had several bucks n does walk by my stand. As I was gutting my buck in the woods bordering a large pasture I heard grunting. My sons and nephew was not hunting ( as I thought they would mess with me) if they were. I was Standing over my buck and a large buck is giving me the stink eye at like 40 feet. Crazy ! He slowly walked away. Maybe he smelled my buck, as he was quite rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic