LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

4a78e0de31ae5d19599e95956005c8fe.jpg&key=96e38d1e34e94d6fe912907d30aa33aa083878e0a73458e91147013867e3e347

I left for the morning but here’s a pic of my dad. He stayed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Makes me think of my dad. He’s always been comfortable sitting super still on the ground and as he’s gotten older he almost prefers it. He can sit in a spot that appears super exposed, sit so still, and be covered up with deer. Good times/memories for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

ok. I'm sitting looking at a deer. the deer is on all 4 legs. There is no 4" of  "above" the spine. It's below. 
deer.thumb.jpg.55df69f057ffd3642a8017d2feb7d772.jpg

I think where you guys are having a disconnect is in determining what you consider the spine. There is only one spine and yes there is several inches of meat (backstraps) above the actual spine. If you consider the "fins" that come upward off of the spine as THE spine then that's why you are arguing there isn't meat above. You can absolutely pass an arrow through the backstraps, above the spine and not drop the deer. I've done it. As for the "dead zone" I'll let you guys have that one. Every situation is different, every angle is different and I think it can and does happen. I've seen deer on youtube with an entire broadhead in a lung, covered in hard mast type stuff. That deer lived with a broadhead IN it's lung. There are rules, and there are exceptions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just got back into 3S. Dad stayed in 3N. 77 degrees and 440pm sunset. Light 5mph from SW.

2ef8a59991291697fc6059862f760862.jpg1bd6f0b931dd5b95939371c6d00fd4e9.jpg

Looks like a 4 or 6 was here this morning before sunrise. I would have seen him tho since I sit by 530

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hunterdan44 said:

Shot an 8 pt this morning. Had several bucks n does walk by my stand. As I was gutting my buck in the woods bordering a large pasture I heard grunting. My sons and nephew was not hunting ( as I thought they would mess with me) if they were. I was Standing over my buck and a large buck is giving me the stink eye at like 40 feet. Crazy ! He slowly walked away. Maybe he smelled my buck, as he was quite rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on the buck!  nice one.  I had that same thing happen in 2018.  Shot a buck - went to go find it and there is a buck pacing back and forth.  At first i thought it was the one i shot.  But i snuck up tot within 40-50 yards and he trotted off and there my buck lay.  I think he was trying to figure out why he wouldnt get up to spar!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I think where you guys are having a disconnect is in determining what you consider the spine. There is only one spine and yes there is several inches of meat (backstraps) above the actual spine. If you consider the "fins" that come upward off of the spine as THE spine then that's why you are arguing there isn't meat above. You can absolutely pass an arrow through the backstraps, above the spine and not drop the deer. I've done it. As for the "dead zone" I'll let you guys have that one. Every situation is different, every angle is different and I think it can and does happen. I've seen deer on youtube with an entire broadhead in a lung, covered in hard mast type stuff. That deer lived with a broadhead IN it's lung. There are rules, and there are exceptions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Agree, the fins are not the spine IMO, and there’s plenty of space above the spine you can hit, the more forward you shot the more space. 

• Like 1

last i'll say on this as it's distracting from the thread.

Vertebrae are the 33 individual, interlocking bones that form the spinal column. https://www.spine-health.com/glossary/vertebra-vertebrae-plural#:~:text=Vertebrae are the 33 individual,transverse processes for ligament attachment.

That is considered the spine, whether it will sever the spinal cord is a different discussion yes. And while I don't disagree that there are exceptions to rules, I don't believe it's likely at all to blast those vertebrae, even with a broadhead and have a buck bleed the way the double lung hit buck of Don's did.

end of discussion for me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Agree, the fins are not the spine IMO, and there’s plenty of space above the spine you can hit, the more forward you shot the more space. 

they are not fins. they are vertebrae and to be frank, your opinion is wrong. It's a medical fact that this is the animals spine... I'm lost with you guys sometimes... if it's not his spine then what is it? And who faked the moon landing and who killed JFK while we're at it?

• Like 1

My rant of the minute.....WHY IS THERE A LIMIT ON LIKES??????? $#%@$&@*% bullchit

That said congrtaz on the nice buck hunterdan!! I have had it happen a few times during rut having killed a buck and have one or more come right in.

Biz, love the Dad pic. My hunting mentor was my Grandpa. Loved every second hunting or fishing with that man!

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 4

Man oh man you guys put down some serious deer in the past few days! Congrats to all who got one! 

I was just granted access to a small 6ish acre lot that's 5 minutes from my house. Not big, but there are deer in there. The old guy who owns it says he's missed 5 doe this year, all clean misses at under 20 yds, so he's giving up on this season. The best part? It's literally 5 minutes from my house. I'm stoked! First morning sit will be Thursday before heading in to work.

• Like 6

I don’t think I’ve ever hunted deer in these conditions before. 79 degrees, sunny and dry. Good for tree stand napping. I imagine the deer are napping too. Best spot I could think of was this stand near the creek and near a cut bean field. 
Squirrels were running all over the place until this Sharp Shinned hawk showed up. Now dead silence. 

image.jpg

Belo is correct.  Those fins are part of the spinal column.  Maybe some of us are confusing the spinal cord vs, the vertebra which makes up the spinal column.  Spinal cord is the nerves going through the spinal column. Made up of individual bony structures (vertebra) are designed to surround and protect the spinal cord.  If you hit the bony structure (including the"fins") the nerves get all messed up and usually suffer loss of nerve control even when missing the spinal cord.  That is usually only temporary and the animal quickly needs another shot before it gets up and runs away.  There isn't much meat above the spinal column (those dang "fins" get in the way) and the downward angle of Shooting from a tree stand without hitting one of those "fins" would be extremely difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

My friend shot this buck yesterday at my parents house...crazy long brow tines!    ...maybe I’m hunting in the wrong spot??

F3DF4FF7-3790-4894-A686-EA5782E945CE.jpeg

6E08B53B-3E63-48C1-B39C-DC3A8365328B.png

Lots of deer behind my.moms in lancaster  but i dont hunt it, just seems wierd, have had friends take some.very nice buck out of her yard and alot of doe. They all ask why i dont hunt there but they didnt grow up with my mom,id be in a stand and she would be yelling out back door for me to open a jar for her....

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Belo said:

they are not fins. they are vertebrae and to be frank, your opinion is wrong. It's a medical fact that this is the animals spine... I'm lost with you guys sometimes... if it's not his spine then what is it? And who faked the moon landing and who killed JFK while we're at it?

When I refer to shooting a deer above or below the spine I guess I’m referring to the spinal cord, the vertebrae hits are non fatal. 

• Like 2

When it goes bad, it really goes bad. Had a nice 8 point at 15 yards walking slowly. I swung the crossbow and as I shot, the right limb hit the arm of the tree stand. Missed the buck and, even worse, broke the cam on the crossbow. Guess it’s back to the compound bow for the rest of this season. 

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

When it goes bad, it really goes bad. Had a nice 8 point at 15 yards walking slowly. I swung the crossbow and as I shot, the right limb hit the arm of the tree stand. Missed the buck and, even worse, broke the cam on the crossbow. Guess it’s back to the compound bow for the rest of this season. 

Yikes, at least you did not get hurt and didn't hit the buck with a poor shot due to the tree smack. I always worry about that with the CB! Had to make one hell of a noise!

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic