LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

My rant of the minute.....WHY IS THERE A LIMIT ON LIKES??????? $#%@$&@*% bullchit

That said congrtaz on the nice buck hunterdan!! I have had it happen a few times during rut having killed a buck and have one or more come right in.

Biz, love the Dad pic. My hunting mentor was my Grandpa. Loved every second hunting or fishing with that man!
Join in my signature demands! With enough demand we may be able to change it to unlimited!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

Very weird and annoying evening sit. It was dead till right before sunset, the same 4 pt decided to stroll by. Not sure why but my head went to, kill him ur off the rest of the week spend it with your wife and son. So I took the shot, completely misjudged. Thought he was at 25 he was at 35. Clean miss he didn’t even run off. Took two steps licked his ass walked right towards me and then eventually moved off. I climbed down went to look for bolt, couldn’t find it. Hot enough of a look at him I was 100% sure no hit. Walk back to tree to get x bow and head home. Doe gets chased right to me. He sees me and bolts other direction, her and big bodied deer take off together.

I get home and check the x bow at 20 it’s way off low and to the right. Honestly don’t sure why I even took that shot but I’m just going back to the compound for the rest of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I refer to shooting a deer above or below the spine I guess I’m referring to the spinal cord, the vertebrae hits are non fatal. 

Hit one of those vertebrae without severing the chord and you'll knock a deer down but after a few minutes they will get up and walk it off, I've had that happen. Get a second arrow in the immediately! It's the right thing to do regardless. I call it a spinal concussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Hit one of those vertebrae without severing the chord and you'll knock a deer down but after a few minutes they will get up and walk it off, I've had that happen. Get a second arrow in the immediately! It's the right thing to do regardless. I call it a spinal concussion

WTF...live from the Mythical Void.... you’re killing me Smalls!

I keep running out of likes guys! You guys are awesome, I appreciate all the comments, I truly cannot keep up.
Join me in demanding unlimited likes! They can't ignore us all!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

Join me in demanding unlimited likes! They can't ignore us all!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Forget likes, I need new t shirts. My two from 2011 are getting pretty worn

Forget likes, I need new t shirts. My two from 2011 are getting pretty worn

That costs money. I tried to buy some and it took two months to get my money back

#WeDemandADislikeButton

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is abso ****ingloutley correct.....Happens with the gun also, but with the gun you are in a better position to get another good shot in before the deer gets up and runs away, never to be seen again....Don't ask me how I know this, but it comes from experience, and not just my own...

• Like 6

Well yesterday saw nine deer! Hunted pretty much dark to dark, in two places. 8 of the deer were doe's and fawns. One was a small buck that got a pass until next year. Thing is, the doe's were just casually feeding along, with not one buck harassing them? The two year old buck was all by himself feeding on acorns! 

Anyways.....back at em again today. As today is Nov 10th!!!! What I call the "Magic Day"! Not sure how much magic I'll see out there today? But I'm going to try to pull a rabbit out of my hat, so to speak.

Best of luck to all heading out today!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

This is abso ****ingloutley correct.....Happens with the gun also, but with the gun you are in a better position to get another good shot in before the deer gets up and runs away, never to be seen again....Don't ask me how I know this, but it comes from experience, and not just my own...

I have never seen a deer hit directly in the spine with bow or gun( bone covering spinal cord, not the " fins" as some call them) get up and run away. You can break the spine, not necessarily sever the spinal cord, but they ain't getting up.  Yes a hit could be marginal, and paralyze a deer temporarily.  

Unfortunately, I've hit my fair share of deer in the spine with the bow, only shooting 42#, so it's not like I'm shooting high poundage.  None have ever gotten up. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I'm hoping the trick is a weather change. Tomorrow is rain hopefully they like it better then these beach town vacation temperatures.  Unfortunately alot of the breeding is happening at night right now. I cant stay away but I feel less likely to see movement then a normal 2nd week of November 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chef said:

Very weird and annoying evening sit. It was dead till right before sunset, the same 4 pt decided to stroll by. Not sure why but my head went to, kill him ur off the rest of the week spend it with your wife and son. So I took the shot, completely misjudged. Thought he was at 25 he was at 35. Clean miss he didn’t even run off. Took two steps licked his ass walked right towards me and then eventually moved off. I climbed down went to look for bolt, couldn’t find it. Hot enough of a look at him I was 100% sure no hit. Walk back to tree to get x bow and head home. Doe gets chased right to me. He sees me and bolts other direction, her and big bodied deer take off together.

I get home and check the x bow at 20 it’s way off low and to the right. Honestly don’t sure why I even took that shot but I’m just going back to the compound for the rest of the week

not too knowledgeable on crossbows, but i always assumed they were pretty flat shooting sub 40. would your aim point be significantly different at that yardage? 

PS glad you're bringing the compound back out :)

not too knowledgeable on crossbows, but i always assumed they were pretty flat shooting sub 40. would your aim point be significantly different at that yardage? 
PS glad you're bringing the compound back out

So i took a few shots at the target at home I was way low and right to begin with. Not sure what happened but I honestly prefer the compound any way

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic