LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

20 minutes ago, grampy said:

No.... WMU 4J is bow only. Will just hunt with crossbow up at the farm until firearms season starts.

I've had a good run of almost 40 seasons with the bow. Guess time has caught up to me. Hate ending it like this.

Can you get a medical exemption so you could use crossbow in 4J?

30 minutes ago, grampy said:

Blew a chance at what could have been a P&Y buck this morning in the Pine Bush. Saw him near the end of legal shooting time last night. He didn't come closer than fifty yards. Got set in the same spot this morning. Around 7:45 I see movement and he's coming right to me! As his head goes behind a large tree at 18 yards I draw my bow. AND HE STOPS!! I have two bum shoulders, and can only hold full draw for 30 seconds or so, tops. I held as long as I could, and had to let down. And as I did he stepped out, caught the movement, and was gone! I'm done bow hunting. Anyone who wants a nice Obsession bow shoot me a PM. I'm officially retiring from bow hunting.

Don't give up that bow yet. Give yourself some time to think that over.  That can happen anytime with the bow.  Sorry to hear it wasn't a better ending to the story 

You didn't take a bad shot and just have to be picky maybe when u draw that it's not a long hold.  

1 minute ago, Belo said:

grampy i hate to read this. when i was bow shopping last year I really liked the PSE because it was like not holding anything back at all. You had to basically push it forward to let down. Maybe it'd be a good fit for you?

IDK??....In the off season, I may go over to my archery shop and see what we can come up with? My bow has 80% let off? And only set at 50lbs. Don't know how much lower I could go and still be effective? Shoulder surgery is in the plans AGAIN. Not sure how much that will help or hurt. I do the exercises every day, and have done months of PT. But the doc says with multiple tears and debris scarring in the socket, surgery will help "some"? But at the very least, a four month recovery time for each shoulder. 

I've pushed myself the last couple of years, just to shoot. And dealt with the pain. But I think I'm done now. Been a good run. I had more than my share of good days.

51 minutes ago, NYHunter8a said:

Where do you hunt in 8a? I’m in Orleans county and was seeing deer pretty consistently until this warm weather came through. Hoping tomorrow is a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Parma (Monroe county), after I posted a little four point came out about 40 yards crossing a trail. Lucky for him no shot for me because I woulda went against my personal antler rules lol.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

IDK??....In the off season, I may go over to my archery shop and see what we can come up with? My bow has 80% let off? And only set at 50lbs. Don't know how much lower I could go and still be effective? Shoulder surgery is in the plans AGAIN. Not sure how much that will help or hurt. I do the exercises every day, and have done months of PT. But the doc says with multiple tears and debris scarring in the socket, surgery will help "some"? But at the very least, a four month recovery time for each shoulder. 

I've pushed myself the last couple of years, just to shoot. And dealt with the pain. But I think I'm done now. Been a good run. I had more than my share of good days.

If you can find one, my Mathews HTX (no cam) was the best fit for my bum shoulder. Right now it's 51lbs and shoots around 250fps. Just try as many as you can and i bet you find one that works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol. His pic was from the blind. 

Mine was from the yard. And yes there is some high fence skunk opportunities if you become interested let me know. Lol

Funny thing is now he's in the blind and don't want to get out cause he'll get soaked.  

Glad I bailed on today's hunt 

With the amount of fish cleaned in that corner im surprised you dont have a bear migration!

• Like 1

In Parma (Monroe county), after I posted a little four point came out about 40 yards crossing a trail. Lucky for him no shot for me because I woulda went against my personal antler rules lol.

My uncle has land in Parma. Seen some absolute monsters taken there. Keep at it and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Elites are made to be shot ,they don't spew FPS numbers like the fad companies . By far the easiest bows to draw and hold. 

• Like 1

I certainly can understand Grampy , best of luck wherever the path leads . 

As you know I have similar, but not as bad shoulder issues . Few years back I was doing sets of  military presses with 95# ,105#,115# , now I use 25# dumbells .

The Elite Synergy got me back in the bow game for awhile anyways , it was no fun being on stand unsure if I could draw ( most times I couldn’t .) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

@grampy - Respect to you, in which ever path you decide, and support for you, always.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Zag said:

Ahh crap grampy that’s happened to me with good shoulders, just wasn’t meant to be and nobody hear wants your bow so your gonna have to keep hunting with it! Right guys

x1000- we have all had to let down at times.   Don't quit based on a single experience.   If you can hold 30 seconds, you are doing just fine.   It just didn't happen on this one encounter.   Plus it sounds like this new bow only spot is great!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

You can easily drop to 40 or even 35 AND STILL BE EFFECTIVE.   Remember guys hunt with 40lb recurves all the time and kill em.  A 40lb compound has much greater KE.   We can start searching for 30-40lb limbs and I will swap em for you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

Do not give up. This happens to everybody at one time or other. You could be young and in perfect physical shape and still have this happen. I would continue to hunt that same buck. Many years ago my son got busted after he drew on a big buck we had been seeing. He was really down about it. I hunted that same spot and bagged that buck 2 days later from the same stand. A lot of times something won't go right but when things all come together and you score it makes it much more rewarding. That is what hunting is about. Good luck to you.           valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Try to find an elite synergy with bad shoulders you’ll love the draw cycle, let off, and valley.

• Like 1

Its pouring here now l  should have hunted  from a blind this morning.

Got out of stand at 830 soaked through. Made an appointment  for tires ... cant get them until Friday   at 10am. Clothes in dryer .. pulled out rain gear . 

Trying to decide  if the rain will let up  enough to hunt . I don't like hunting bow in the rain . Lost a few deer do to blood trail loss .

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Cams are coming alive again today.   I have a feeling tomorrow will be awesome.

That's what I'm counting on! While this weather has been nice for getting tan in the stand. Not so much for deer movement... I way overdressed for this mornings hunt. The rain scared me into  wearing base layer and rain gear. I am just starting to dry out from most likely sweat not rain.lol.. Apriximately 10326 geese, 421 ducks, 2 hunters ,1 fox, no deer so far. And I rarely see hunters here.

16051095509101537690172318344627.jpg

Edited by ncountry
Sp

53 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can easily drop to 40 or even 35 AND STILL BE EFFECTIVE.   Remember guys hunt with 40lb recurves all the time and kill em.  A 40lb compound has much greater KE.   We can start searching for 30-40lb limbs and I will swap em for you.

This could be the way to go. You are right of course my friend. I'm willing to go that route. Thank You!

Thanks also, to you all for the pep talk. I was so down walking out, and posting from my truck. You guy's definitely made me feel better. I've never been a quitter, and over many years of bow hunting, I have had many highs and lows. It's a given part of what we do! I do know and except that! I guess age is catching up with me a bit, and perhaps I'm not dealing with it as maybe I should be?

I'll be OK, no matter what happens with bow hunting. I'll still be out there.

• Like 7

Quick observation from yesterday......I was convinced from monitoring a few cams chasing has been real light so far. So yesterday the one property I hunt was real close to where my boys and I get our haircuts so afterward we took a quick scouting drive to see what may be out and about around 4:50pm. In a 5 minute drive down the utility road next to the vineyard we spotted 1 mature doe, 2 fawns, a possible basket 6 and another mature doe. All browsing and the mature doe and fawns were real close. My question is......is it any indication my area hasn't popped yet with the doe still allowing her young to be near by? And the small basket 6 not harassing the ladies?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Blew a chance at what could have been a P&Y buck this morning in the Pine Bush. Saw him near the end of legal shooting time last night. He didn't come closer than fifty yards. Got set in the same spot this morning. Around 7:45 I see movement and he's coming right to me! As his head goes behind a large tree at 18 yards I draw my bow. AND HE STOPS!! I have two bum shoulders, and can only hold full draw for 30 seconds or so, tops. I held as long as I could, and had to let down. And as I did he stepped out, caught the movement, and was gone! I'm done bow hunting. Anyone who wants a nice Obsession bow shoot me a PM. I'm officially retiring from bow hunting.

Don't give up that easy. We all beat ourselves up on the woulda coulda shoulda. That whole senerio could have been the best deer of your life if he kept walking. Thats the great thing about hunting you never know whats going to happen..  We will never know why deer always seem to hang up when you don't want them too. Sixth sense maybe. One thing is for sure that deer is still in there running does waiting to give you another opportunity!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

x1000- we have all had to let down at times.   Don't quit based on a single experience.   If you can hold 30 seconds, you are doing just fine.   It just didn't happen on this one encounter.   Plus it sounds like this new bow only spot is great!

Everything Moog said.  You got this Dave!

Ok I need an objective second opinion:

One of my ladder stands needs to move about 100 yards to cover an area that's really, really hot right now.  It's warm, windy, and raining.  Should I do that instead of sitting in the blind looking at the turnips?  10+ huge rubs in this area, sample attached.

IMG_20201111_094613.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic