LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

5 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Ok I need an objective second opinion:

One of my ladder stands needs to move about 100 yards to cover an area that's really, really hot right now.  It's warm, windy, and raining.  Should I do that instead of sitting in the blind looking at the turnips?  10+ huge rubs in this area, sample attached.

IMG_20201111_094613.jpg

If your gonna move it the sooner the better, Bow season is getting short.  Midday is def best. A windy day would help cover any noise and movement but I would do it and get it done.  But hunt it ASAp after you move it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

One of my ladder stands needs to move about 100 yards to cover an area that's really, really hot right now.  It's warm, windy, and raining.  Should I do that instead of sitting in the blind looking at the turnips?  10+ huge rubs in this area, sample attached.

IMG_20201111_094613.jpg

Today seems like an ideal day to move a stand this late in the season

2 hours ago, grampy said:

IDK??....In the off season, I may go over to my archery shop and see what we can come up with? My bow has 80% let off? And only set at 50lbs. Don't know how much lower I could go and still be effective? Shoulder surgery is in the plans AGAIN. Not sure how much that will help or hurt. I do the exercises every day, and have done months of PT. But the doc says with multiple tears and debris scarring in the socket, surgery will help "some"? But at the very least, a four month recovery time for each shoulder. 

I've pushed myself the last couple of years, just to shoot. And dealt with the pain. But I think I'm done now. Been a good run. I had more than my share of good days.

i understand. My Matthews has the same but there is some tech in that PSE that just gives it a crazy valley and holdover. At the very least you can pick it up and play with it. Someone more knowledgeable than me can better describe it maybe. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Elites are made to be shot ,they don't spew FPS numbers like the fad companies . By far the easiest bows to draw and hold. 

i'm not sure anyone was talking FPS with grampy, but simply giving suggestions on makes and models that might be more comfortable.

Hell I was pushing a PSE and I'm a Matthews guy... your hatred for them never ceases to amaze me :)

48 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

better to move in wind and rain then any other time if you're doing so midseason. also shoot for midday. 

@grampy what Moog said is spot on. I am a few years behind you in shoulder health, God willing, but if you enjoy bowhunting stick with it. 30 seconds is plenty of time to settle a pin and let fly. You can still be in the bowhunting game if you want to be.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

IMG_20201111_094613.jpg

No question, move to the hot sign and sit it immediately.

1 hour ago, biggamefish said:

Don't give up that easy. We all beat ourselves up on the woulda coulda shoulda. That whole senerio could have been the best deer of your life if he kept walking. Thats the great thing about hunting you never know whats going to happen..  We will never know why deer always seem to hang up when you don't want them too. Sixth sense maybe. One thing is for sure that deer is still in there running does waiting to give you another opportunity!

Hey I have shoulder and arm issues too I got the draw- a- lock went on the dec site and printed the permit and had my doctor sign it it saved my season . 3 days after I got my license in August I fell off my bicycle I thought my season was over . The permits good for a year 

About 11 this morning I was working on a tripod stand I plan on using for gun hunting that overlooks 3.5 acres of corn that was put in where some orchard was pushed a couple years ago. I thought I could hear a buck doing some tending grunts out in the corn so I was figuring there was a buck with a doe out in the corn. While I was trying to look into the corn from the stand a doe came tearing out of the woods and into the corn with a small buck behind her. Once into the corn I lost sight of them. A few minutes later I hear a grunt in the woods and right on their tracks was a much better looking buck that came out and dove into the corn. It was a pretty cool encounter. Unfortunately I had to get out of there to do some other things. I have seen more rut activity this year than the last couple combined.

20201111_104643.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, E J said:

About 11 this morning I was working on a tripod stand I plan on using for gun hunting that overlooks 3.5 acres of corn that was put in where some orchard was pushed a couple years ago. I thought I could hear a buck doing some tending grunts out in the corn so I was figuring there was a buck with a doe out in the corn. While I was trying to look into the corn from the stand a doe came tearing out of the woods and into the corn with a small buck behind her. Once into the corn I lost sight of them. A few minutes later I hear a grunt in the woods and right on their tracks was a much better looking buck that came out and dove into the corn. It was a pretty cool encounter. Unfortunately I had to get out of there to do some other things. I have seen more rut activity this year than the last couple combined.

20201111_104643.jpg

nice buck!

After seeing 12 different bucks Fri-Sun and passing on a 7 pointer I sat from sun up to sundown yesterday and only saw 3 doe at 6:30. Then the wind came and that was it. My wife asked me how I can sit for 12 hours in a tree. Last 2 nights this guy has come by at 2:40am. This is why we do it lol 

350A41A4-268C-49F9-82C5-99F6032059C7.jpeg

• Like 12

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic