LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Got permission yesterday to hunt a property that I’ve been trying to get permission for since July! Did a quick power scout of the perimeter yesterday afternoon, not wanting to disturb the bedding area. Threw up a stand at 4pm, just so I would have a spot to sit this morning. Will pick a better spot and move the stand after my morning sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome Bob. Glad you found some dirt!  Now get em.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Was able to get out of work early today and in my stand by 1:00. On my way in bumped 3 bedded down by the creek about 60 yards from my stand. Dont know what they were just saw flashes of tail as they took off. After today a nice 3 day weekend to hunt Fri, Sat, & Sun. Good luck all

47 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Tough morning in 4L, more for the doe I shot at than for myself.  I shot high, real high from a tree, and she was downhill at 11 yards adjusted, I found out post-shot.  I used my 20 yard pin, misjudging trajectory by a long shot.  I clipped her back, taking a clump of hair and a little bit of hide.  I glassed the arrow, which was stuck in a tree, and it looked totally clean.  Got down, checked it, saw some hair, and two bits of skin-like meat near the broadhead.  Absolutely zero blood at the shot site, and no hair on the ground.  Arrow had no smell on it whatsoever.

Scoured the shot site, and her escape trail from about 7:00 until 10:30.  Found zero blood.  Grid searched an area where I last saw her run, and came up empty.  No blood.  No stumbling tracks.  No hair.  Definitely pushed everything out of those woods.

A short while after the shot, I saw a doe scent checking the back trail.  I glassed her from the tree.  Pretty sure it was the same doe coming back up her route.  The other doe she was with bolted in a different direction.  Saw her trot around scenting, and then she trotted off.  No evidence of a wound, nor a dark spot on her.

Currently back at the house, running through my errors, feeling pretty bad about my action, and hoping to use the experience to be a better, more patient bow hunter.

Arrow.jpeg

Head.jpeg

Well dang, not bad on the penetration. We’ve all missed, yes it sucks but as you said learn from it and try to do better on your next outing. I suspect you will , best of luck.,

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Been dead for a bit now....I was not planning  an all day sit... no longjohns on . Jacket and camo jeans. Pulled knit cap out of daypack and sweatshirt.  Fingerless gloves..  its freaking cold.

Uncle  just drove over the hill and said there's 2 groups of does bedded  in greenfield. No bucks near them. Seems odd. Usually that's a late season thing. Wonder if they are out there to get away from the bucks. 

Well dang, not bad on the penetration. We’ve all missed, yes it sucks but as you said learn from it and try to do better on your next outing. I suspect you will , best of luck.,

Re: arrow penetration

I switched my set up for a Sept Elk hunt. Heavier, stiffer arrow with a 50 gr outsert up front. Also increased my draw weight. Tried to split the difference between flat trajectory and arrow weight/FOC. Things pack a PUNCH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's awesome Bob. Glad you found some dirt!  Now get em.

Thanks Rob! Literally, right out my back door too! I close on my new house next month. The owners of the adjoining property live in CA. I've sent them 2 letters, called and left messages 2x, and contacted them through LinkedIn, but FINALLY heard back yesterday! Now I have my own property, plus the adjoining 66 acres to hunt!! 

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Well it's official, I tested positive for the coronavirus! DAMN! Now my wife is feeling sick, she'll get tested today. I certainly hope i haven't passed it on unknowingly? on a good note, iam feeling better and no fever since Sunday! Good luck to everyone out there today! It looks like a great day to be in the woods.

Taco, I just got over the VID, I gave it to my wife. Luckily the kids were spared. We only had flu like symptoms. Hope you get over it soon. The woods are a good place to quarantine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

That's Rob! Literally, right out my back door too! I close on my new house next month. The owners of the adjoining property live in CA. I've sent them 2 letters, called and left messages 2x, and contacted them through LinkedIn, but FINALLY heard back yesterday! Now I have my own property, plus the adjoining 66 acres to hunt!! 

That worked out perfect!  Best put them on the Xmas list and a gift basket for them left on their doorstep!   

Glad to hear it, know you were trying to find a spot near the new house. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

Taco, I just got over the VID, I gave it to my wife. Luckily the kids were spared. We only had flu like symptoms. Hope you get over it soon. The woods are a good place to quarantine.

I just got back from taking my Covid test..How long did it take for you guys to get your test results ??

My local Legion Post needs to know whether they should file for Chapter 11 or not....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I just got back from taking my Covid test..How long did it take for you guys to get your test results ??

My local Legion Post needs to know whether they should file for Chapter 11 or not....

I got a rapid test done in Pulaski that had results in 15 minutes. My wife's test took 6 days from the local urgent care.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My daughter has been quite sick, so she went for a Covid test last week. They told her 3-5 days to get the results, but today is 7 days, with still no results! I'm about ready to choke someone! 

1 minute ago, Cabin Fever said:

My daughter has been quite sick, so she went for a Covid test last week. They told her 3-5 days to get the results, but today is 7 days, with still no results! I'm about ready to choke someone! 

I don't blame you...Hope she gets results ASAP  !!

• Like 1

Out for the PM hunt...set up in a different spot...after I got dug in, I noticed 10 feet behind me a coyote also dug in...hard to tell from the photo but I could easily crawl into it’s lair.  Hopefully he minds his own business until I finish my hunt (and recover my deer if I get lucky enough to have one come within range).  Congrats to those who harvested recently and good luck to those out in the field! 

7B886EC9-E19F-475D-AD19-C010703447C1.jpeg

EC5106C7-A132-4658-AD54-E8DC5AD8F2A9.jpeg

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

Out for the PM hunt...set up in a different spot...after I got dug in, I noticed 10 feet behind me a coyote also dug in...hard to tell from the photo but I could easily crawl into it’s lair.  Hopefully he minds his own business until I finish my hunt (and recover my deer if I get lucky enough to have one come within range).  Congrats to those who harvested recently and good luck to those out in the field! 

7B886EC9-E19F-475D-AD19-C010703447C1.jpeg

EC5106C7-A132-4658-AD54-E8DC5AD8F2A9.jpeg

Hmmmmm..That coyote lair reminds me a girl I once went out with...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Finally my chance to get your best table at Mable's House of Horrors........"next on the main stage, she has a wooden leg, 7 teeth, and a beard...."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Finally my chance to get your best table at Mable's House of Horrors........"next on the main stage, she has a wooden leg, 7 teeth, and a beard...."

She WALKS, she TALKS, she CRAWLS on her belly like a REPTILE....!!...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

10 hours in the stand, hunting the hot sign, travel route between 2 bedding areas, November 12th, cold front just rolled in,and I saw a tank head this way last night.  0 deer seen.  At least the sunset is pretty.

Correction.  1 deer seen.  Doe came out of the bedding area solo.

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic