LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Seems the deer have reversed their  usual  patterns.  Use to be down hill coming from the fields  in the am. Uphill in the afternoon headed to fields on top. Kind of thought  the bucks had all the deer running helter skelter . As I'm walking in this afternoon  I find 4 or 5 pieces of corn in my south roadway. This is very near the property line . Nearest corn field is half a mile away.

Back at it for my last sit for this bow season. Tomorrow is going to be a windy wash which i normally take advantage of being out here as movement is usually ridiculous but a few of us are heading to camp to fix a few small issues inside the cabin before Friday nights festivities. Have some Code Red Estrous out for good measure so now we wait.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Seems the deer have reversed their  usual  patterns.  Use to be down hill coming from the fields  in the am. Uphill in the afternoon headed to fields on top. Kind of thought  the bucks had all the deer running helter skelter . As I'm walking in this afternoon  I find 4 or 5 pieces of corn in my south roadway. This is very near the property line . Nearest corn field is half a mile away.

If someone has an illegal bait sight that will alter deer movement.

My son went out for am as he has to work no sightings. My youngest son and I who both shot bucks earlier this season set up to call in yotes. Set caller on kitten in distress and up pops at the end of the field a shooter 8 lol. My brother shot a doe at 0920 . When he was gutting it , a six point walked right by at 15 yards. Oblivious to my brother standing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A half mile is nothing for critters to carry corn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I had an eventual half day in the woods. Set up on the edge of a field facing west. Hunting buddy about 200 yards to the South, also facing West. He bumps 4 doe getting into the stand. Played a little peekaboo with one of the doe as he was half way up the ladder. He then has two bucks, a small 8 and large 8, run right to his stand. He tagged out last week, so he can't shoot them, He scares them off, and they then start heading my way. I get the text, two 8 pointers headed your way. They cross from left to right, about 60 yards away, 10 yards apart from each other. I do a grunt call and freeze. The little 8 looks at me for maybe 30 seconds and then keeps going. The big 8 stared at me for like two minutes. Finally he starts walking into the field in front of me to my 2 o'clock. He gets to within range, so I thought, and I shot. Clean miss underneath as it turns out. I thought he was at 40 yards, but it must have been closer to 45. I did make a point of aiming a bit low, to my detriment. After the shot, he turned around and galloped away. I was able to watch him for over 150 yards. We did a grid search for blood, hair or my bolt, and found nothing. Then walked the trail I think he took to get away, again nothing. So now we are in the opposite corner of the property, and start to head back towards where we parked. He was leaving for the day and I needed another bolt. He hear's something grunt at him from the thick stuff (overgrown fields). He investigates and ends up seeing a 10 pointer 15 yards away. No shot. He and I tried to flush him out and or get a shot, but no dice. My hunting partner seemed to think there was a hot doe in the area with all the bucks and that the big one wasn't running away. Finally gave up and went for a new bolt and some lunch at the truck. Ended up calling it a day. But what a day it was. Looks like the rut is on in 9A.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

Finished another few courses on the sugar shack wall...brought my hunting gear with me and paddled my canoe up the creek to my ground blind... hopefully a different outcome from this morning’s hunt (I.e., that I see a deer)!

8EDC932D-3F5A-4ED0-9973-2D7AC8C48AB4.jpeg

5A7C42A5-E728-4EA4-843F-309FFABA22C1.jpeg

You can put that on airbnb as a romantic couples retreat once it's finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic