LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Thank you, very happy for him.

Yes sir! We are both excited, he was in the woods for 40 mins, 40 yard shot.

Crazy for us to both get deer in the same year! Last time that happened was 2014.

This was my dad’s first crossbow deer.  First deer he has ever shot at also with a crossbow.  He is a meat hunter, and is extremely thankful for this deer.  Extremely.  I have been trying to get my dad to pay attention to his clothing, and how he walks in/out of where he hunts.  I told him to wash him coveralls in either a no scent soap, or straight hot water, and store outside of possible, or in a non-scented plastic bag.  He was like why? But I told him I have done this lately, and I try to walk extremely quietly as well. We were always the type to just go hunting....pure luck, and frankly for obvious reasons we only get lucky, once every 5 yrs to be honest, give or take.  He hunted this spot 3x this crossbow season, and saw a nice buck but no shot opportunity, he was a changed man, found his interest back in the sport he got me into.  Went out his second sit, and does instantly picked him out.  Third sit I cannot remember details of.  This 4th sit he texted me and said, I am leaving my eyeglasses home this hunt, I think the deer see reflections/glare off of them. I said do it, this is how we have to start thinking, so we can get deer more often.  He did, and 40 minutes into the hunt his buck came out.  Dad said he(dad) was scanning left to right for movement, and saw this buck like dead center of him(dad), and he was like how did I not see him, where did he come from?!?(no glasses lol). So my dad picks up crossbow, Get the buck in scope, and realizes oh $&@t the safety is still in! My dad clicks the safety off, and it went CLICK, loud safety that the buck heard it, looked in his direction, and took a few steps back.  Buck is now behind branches that fell, so no shot opportunity, well my dad was in good cover, which was again something he is starting to pay attention too, and the buck relaxes, and takes the few steps forward, to where he was before, and whack! He gets him right behind should just a pinch high.  Deer dropped at roughly 40-50 yards from shot.  Dad used a Sniper 370, if anyone recalls the thread I started a few years back.  I have nice photos of him with the deer, but not sure if he would prefer them to not be shared.  I was up in my stand, hoping for bear, or yote, or just to see rut action, but saw nothing.  He texted me “is hot one”...i’m like ummm OH! Text back “you shot one??” He called me, told me what happened, I climbed down, and drove the 45 mins to help him drag, and hang, or whatever else.  Great day.

B38A277B-7972-4E82-9E4B-116998DFC2D7.jpeg

9A338766-B960-450E-B4CA-C4BDA31040FE.jpeg

8D66DC00-9695-4637-85ED-CABEC395359C.jpeg

Great year for both you and your dad, awesome you could drag it out together that is what it is about right there.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

There it is!!!very happy for you both.trying to do the same with my dad the past 2 years,this year i got him back into bow.hoping this year it happens!time and patience

That’s good stuff, good luck to you both, let us know!

• Like 1

Congrats to all who scored,beautiful bucks. @cdbing,i went for a.long walk with the bow and have nothing to show for. Conditions were great for it but rhe deer were somewhere i wasn't. Except for two does,an area that has a high stem count for browse and it was protected from the wind today. I crested a bank and stood still for 5 minutes scanning that area as best i could. I saw nothing but when I took the first step two does ran off. Thick stuff is good and bad at the same time.

I found some rubs and scrapes along my travels and a heavy heavy path only 100 yds from the neighbors house.

I covered quite a bit of ground and i am always disappointed when i hardly even jump a deer. I am looking forward to some snow on Tuesday,i will hit some stateland and look for tracks before the gun season opens,no state land for me then.

• Like 1

So I’ve been pissed at my self all day today.
Was debating between two stands this morning and picked wrong.... really big 7 walked right past the stand I didn’t go to.... I did see a giant this morning but he was way too far and chasing a doe.
18ca4f662430840bcae8b0b184a84530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Was debating between two stands this morning and picked wrong.... really big 7 walked right past the stand I didn’t go to.... I did see a giant this morning but he was way too far and chasing a doe.
18ca4f662430840bcae8b0b184a84530.jpg

Is that another buck in the thick stuff?

8 hours ago, Chef said:

frustrating but you will get him

• Like 2

Haven't been keeping up on this thread 100%, so to all who have and continue to fill tags, congrats!

I'm feeling like crap today, my stomach is killing me. Yet, here I sit typing this considering doing some still hunting with my bow.
Do it!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

7 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Big doe down too!! CF’s on fire today!!! Payback time!!!

holy %$@# I guess so!  a season in a day!  awesome cant wait to see pics!  Hope you ate your wheaties or you have a tractor for that haul! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

BBD Baby!!!

A buck and a doe:good:. I am in 8H and it has been windy and raining all morning. I can see a doe from the house bedded down 45 yards from my ladder stand since 7:30 but I am not venturing out in this weather. GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic