LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

7 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Then the wife and I will spend the SZ gun opener in the NZ where not hearing 200 shots will be far more relaxing and enjoyable.

I guess we’re all in it for different reasons. You do realize the vast majority of deer killed each year (especially in the SZ) are killed the first day? 

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

I guess we’re all in it for different reasons. You do realize the vast majority of deer killed each year (especially in the SZ) are killed the first day? 

Yes I do realize that. My wife wants to hunt this weekend and Sunday is rain. She will not hunt public land, especially down here on the opener. It's my fault, her first season I took her out down here for the opener, and she hated it. She doesn't like being around when a bunch of people are blasting rounds at deer like shooting at clay pigeons. I don't blame her at all. I happen to enjoy hunting with my wife.

I'll hunt down here during the regular season because it's closer and I can get more time in, but I prefer to hunt the NZ. If I ever decided to drop the cash to buy land, it will not be in the SZ, it will be in the ADK's.

• Like 5

Retired coworker of mine was in Rockefeller State park. Looks like breeding has started there. I am not very familiar with the park, but since he walked right up to this pair, I can't imagine it gets much pressure if hunting is even allowed.

Crazy. Guy doesn't hunt and sent me this to break my chops about how easy it must be. 4e06e58fd29e566b5e60a7d59d66a242.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Been a tough 4 days in the big woods! Loud woods mixed with very little rut activity so far. Saw a small buck yesterday bedded mid day and let a pretty good buck go this afternoon.

Hoping these next few cold days gets them moving. The 18th is historically my day to kill in the ADKS so hopefully it happens again. I’m here until turkey day unless I get one and will be back turkey night until season ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well this was my first crossbow kill, as well as first kill from the ground. I decided to sit down at the base of a tree near where there are a lot of rubs. A baby buck comes by, then a baby doe, then this big doe. She is the only one that sees me, and stands 10 yards in front of me stomping. I thought that this was way too easy, let her go. After about 5 minutes she gives up and walks behind the baby doe, where I can’t get a shot. Another 5 minutes pass, and something spooks all three of them and they all run. The big doe pauses for a second, and I hit her in the lung. 

The strange thing is that there was barely any blood on the ground...for some reason she didn’t bleed until she fell here about 70 yards away. 

C198C28F-FAA7-4635-842E-A1FA9E5D4F5E.jpeg

Edited by Whereareyoubuck
  • Like 42

Retired coworker of mine was in Rockefeller State park. Looks like breeding has started there. I am not very familiar with the park, but since he walked right up to this pair, I can't imagine it gets much pressure if hunting is even allowed.

Crazy. Guy doesn't hunt and sent me this to break my chops about how easy it must be. 4e06e58fd29e566b5e60a7d59d66a242.jpg&key=08fb137daccb319aaa695e7f3b82751b1804eab6d5ede0b59aeca2992be7eb77

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

...my friend sent this the other day ...10 ft away in a park in NJ...they allow archery hunting there...
67CE9B3C-77B8-4B02-869F-D6CDF183F4C1.thumb.jpeg.9c85a6d0ead5fa86cc7730efe02bbb81.jpeg
Had a similar stare down a few years ago with a Buck in a grape vineyard.....low and behold he had a doe pinned down the next row over and wasn't leaving her.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 11/15/2020 at 6:13 AM, Four Seasons said:

Not looking real good this year in the Letchworth area. Have a couple keepers on the farm outside the park but in the park things are definitely off.  

It definitely looks and feels off.  In areas that normally have lots of rubs, year after year, there are none. In miles of walking I see an occasional acorn on the ground, but they are scarce and even the birds and squirrels are seeking seed away from the oak trees. The coyote population had increased for sure, which can't help.

Thanks for all the kind words and congrats today fellas! He might be my best buck yet or close to it! I've only had permission to hunt that property for the past 5 days. I wasn't really sure where to put up stands or what the quality of bucks was like out there. Knew that no one else has had permission to hunt it, so there "should" be some good bucks out there. Just got lucky!

My morning went from seeing nothing, to having a big rut crazed buck come busting through frantically chasing a doe, and having 2 deer on the ground in a ~3min span! LOL

Good luck!

• Like 11

11 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Had a similar stare down a few years ago with a Buck in a grape vineyard.....low and behold he had a doe pinned down the next row over and wasn't leaving her.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

that's a good point, when a buck is standing their ground, it's almost always him guarding "something" haha

9 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Thanks for all the kind words and congrats today fellas! He might be my best buck yet or close to it! I've only had permission to hunt that property for the past 5 days. I wasn't really sure where to put up stands or what the quality of bucks was like out there. Knew that no one else has had permission to hunt it, so there "should" be some good bucks out there. Just got lucky!

My morning went from seeing nothing, to having a big rut crazed buck come busting through frantically chasing a doe, and having 2 deer on the ground in a ~3min span! LOL

Good luck!

well shit you buried the lead haha. There's nothing better than getting access to unpressured land and getting in during the rut. That's like a gift from the gods and i'd buy a loto ticket while you're at it.

all that said, I don't believe in luck. You still put the stand in the right spot and made 2 great shots. congrats to well earned again. 

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic