LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

4 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Just when you thought you've seen it all in the deer woods. I just had a hunter ride down the logging trail I'm sitting off from on a mountain bike with his gun slung over his shoulder. That's a new one for me. No deer spotted just bicycleist. To each their own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I used to do that on the farm trolling for coyotes, about 40 pounds  and 20 years ago.  My dad called me Charlie the Vietkong.  If it works.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnplav said:

Live from the butcher shop... 

A consistent temp of 40-42 means I’ll hang my buck for at least a week.  The doe  was killed 4 days ago and she’s getting all my attention today. 

5D87D124-CE46-46D5-AE9E-DD799582FA21.jpeg

0D07791F-F333-4269-838B-6ABF27D49395.jpeg

That's great to hang them that long in those temps but folks should know that doing so WITHOUT the hide results in a fair amount of meat lost to trimming as the outer layer dries out PDQ.  After trimming it's perfect though..... :)

• Like 2

First sit in the new blind this afternoon. I was planning on saving this spot till gun season, then the wind started. It was awesome not to be out in that crazy wind and snow. Only a spike came into range, had a handful of does milling about no shots. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's great to hang them that long in those temps but folks should know that doing so WITHOUT the hide results in a fair amount of meat lost to trimming as the outer layer dries out PDQ.  After trimming it's perfect though..... :)

When the temps are right for a week or longer hang, I usually leave the hide on until the day prior to processing.  They don't dry up too much in 24 hours with it off.  That helps split up the workload a bit, because it is always more difficult to remove the hide from a deer that has hung for a while.

Also, even with the hide left on, remember to remove the tenderloins prior to the extended hang, because that hide dont do nothing to keep them from drying out.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When the temps are right for a week or longer hang, I usually leave the hide on until the day prior to processing.  They don't dry up too much in 24 hours with it off.  That helps split up the workload a bit, because it is always more difficult to remove the hide from a deer that has hung for a while.

Also, even with the hide left on, remember to remove the tenderloins prior to the extended hang, because that hide dont do nothing to keep them from drying out.

I would have added that I didn't want to overwhelm the members..........LOL

Your addition is spot on.  Then throw in the possibility of sub freezing temps and you come up with two more issues; if that hide freezes to the meat you're screwed, blued and tattoo'd.  You'll have to get the deer to thaw out and that can be a PIA.  Also, the aging process halts when frozen.

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Your addition is spot on.  Then throw in the possibility of sub freezing temps and you come up with two more issues; if that hide freezes to the meat you're screwed, blued and tattoo'd.  You'll have to get the deer to thaw out and that can be a PIA.  Also, the aging process halts when frozen.

We insulated our garage a few years ago and that has greatly simplified the process.  Prior to that I dealt with a few freeze ups.

4L - Up on the Plateau.  Bumped a group of deer (couldn't ID them all) on the way in after still hunting my way up to them.  I got to about 50 yards, before work started buzzing my phone, and I lost my patience, composure, and attentiveness.  I thought they had walked off, but they were feeding on the other side of hemlock saplings I couldn't see through, and jumped off when I started walking.

Sat up against some blow-down and saw a different group of does make their way across my backtrack about 50 yards from where I set up.  They circled a bit downwind of me, and caught me scent.  They didn't like it, pausing to lift their heads to sniff, and head-bobbing to try and see me, but they never blew out, nor ran off. 

So...  Lots of does, no bucks, and nothing in range at any rate.

59 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Do u notice a big difference with the taste of meat hanging them that long?

11 minutes ago, Zag said:

Do u notice a big difference with the taste of meat hanging them that long?

I rarely do it anymore.......I used to but I had the use of a couple coolers years ago and without them it's difficult.  My shed faces south and can really heat up so I usually butcher within a couple days.  AND, I grind almost everything but the backstraps and some stew meat. 

But is there a big difference, no.  Can it make a difference, yes I think so.  Years ago I had a friend (now deceased) and we hung deer for 14 days with the hide on and I think it helped quite a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

That doe had so much fat on her a$$... no meat drying out. 

D2BE2C78-39DA-4D93-93D8-063B75D8E90B.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, johnplav said:

That doe had so much fat on her a$$... no meat drying out. 

D2BE2C78-39DA-4D93-93D8-063B75D8E90B.jpeg

Trimming off all that external fat is always part of my "day before processing" work, in addition to removing the hide.  Does always have lots of it, which is why I much prefer butchering bucks.  It seems like does keep getting fatter, right thru the end of gun season, but bucks burn most of theirs off, by opening day.

Getting rid of most of that fat takes time, but makes for a lot better grind. It also keeps better in the freezer, if the fat is carefully removed, since fat is an oil that does not freeze. 

I will be testing that theory soon, because we are almost ready to start eating a doe that I killed on opening day of gun last year.  If I got enough of the fat off her, those vacuum-sealed packs should taste just as fresh now as they would have a year ago.

If I can score again on opening day this year, then it might be a while till I get to eating much of that doe from last year.  I always freeze the first deer of the year in zip lock bags, and eat that before the older vacuum-sealed stuff.  

I had to bring one in the basement once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flipping cold!! 22 degrees a light light snow on the ground. Loud as all heck walking. Still had to stop halfway in as I heard a deer walking . A lone deer, had to be a cruising buck, walked by 30 feet from me. So dark I could just see the outline. After he passed I started slowly and he started coming back my way lol. Finally got to my stand at 6:15. Ain’t nothing sneaking up on you today lol!

Hope some legal movement goes on cause it’s cold!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3S - quick bow hunt before work. Coldest morning of the year.

27 degrees, 11mph wind, real feel 19 degrees. 647am sunrise and I can hunt till 830-ish. LFG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Out in 3g to same conditions. Pushed one on walk in. First snow of year for me. Made the walk in extra crunchy. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic