LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Super quiet both sound and sightings wise last night. A peaceful hunt none the less.

There's an injured hen near one of our stands. My dad's seen her a few times and so have I. She's always alone and limps on her right leg but seems to be doing ok. The fact that she's never with the flock is odd to me. But I saw her fly up and roost just about 10 yards in a tree behind me. Was worried that she might bust me if I had to draw, but we came to a mutual understanding that she was comfy for the night and I wasn't going to see any deer to draw on haha. 2 more sits on Friday and it's a wrap.

IMG_0141.thumb.jpeg.fcd7d3c125f374da1dbab72d74cd5e02.jpeg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Had some chasing going on. She ran right past me and he followed. Just hit a small buck. Hit may have been a bit back tho. Arrow passed thru. He ran for 30 then walked of real slow. I could see he was bleeding good. Gonna wait till 10 to go look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishing you a quick recovery.

• Like 1

Public land bow only. Didn't pre-scout this spot. Daylight came and I was in wrong cluster of trees from Google maps. Doe with fawn had me pegged at 50 yards where I was supposed to be. Windy but sticking it out as long as I can.
485b5fc64d40e5ec51083302e7addab7.jpgfa35ab4fe9e202f32b98b7fb246a73db.jpgf1166669838554a238074e3545832463.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Public land bow only. Didn't pre-scout this spot. Daylight came and I was in wrong cluster of trees from Google maps. Doe with fawn had me pegged at 50 yards where I was supposed to be. Windy but sticking it out as long as I can.
485b5fc64d40e5ec51083302e7addab7.jpgfa35ab4fe9e202f32b98b7fb246a73db.jpgf1166669838554a238074e3545832463.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I know where you are. I have to drive into Albany in a little bit, I'll wave as I drive by. Good luck.

• Like 2

Had some chasing going on. She ran right past me and he followed. Just hit a small buck. Hit may have been a bit back tho. Arrow passed thru. He ran for 30 then walked of real slow. I could see he was bleeding good. Gonna wait till 10 to go look.

Smell that arrow before you pursue

I tracked a buck with a friend last night, we called it when he got to the edge of a huge field of red brush and golden rod. I told him I'd return this morning, he's got doctors appts all day. First light another friend and I spent an hour trying to get a direction, couldn't find a drop. So we cut across the field and lucked onto a stalk of grass with blood. Followed that trail to a bed with blood and then just beyond that...76597bb81d73c7fa3c54c088d56c2b38.jpg395f4101a88e7b395603bfda24936ec9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Def hit him back. Arrow has goo on it. Found good blood and got to within 30 of him. He got up and started to walk but stopped and then left slowly. Gonna back out for a bit...not used to this. When should I start looking again?

I would give him several hours, probably later this afternoon.

• Like 2

Def hit him back. Arrow has goo on it. Found good blood and got to within 30 of him. He got up and started to walk but stopped and then left slowly. Gonna back out for a bit...not used to this. When should I start looking again?

Wait hours now... once you see that goo and smell that’s smell it’s best to just wait. Hope you didn’t push him too far

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I tracked a buck with a friend last night, we called it when he got to the edge of a huge field of red brush and golden rod. I told him I'd return this morning, he's got doctors appts all day. First light another friend and I spent an hour trying to get a direction, couldn't find a drop. So we cut across the field and lucked onto a stalk of grass with blood. Followed that trail to a bed with blood and then just beyond that...76597bb81d73c7fa3c54c088d56c2b38.jpg395f4101a88e7b395603bfda24936ec9.jpg

It sucks the yotes got to him, but I'd rather know he's dead then wondering. 

I can't let a deer sit overnight in my area either. 

You shot him at 9am?  I'd give him till 3pm at minimum. If your familiar with the ground and don't mind tracking after dark I would go in after dinner like 7pm. 6 hours he may still be alive but if you are slow and quiet you may not push him to bad? I also would wait longer if you have property line issues. Less if you have a yote problem...Waiting sucks but losing deer that should be recoverable is worse.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Buddy found this buck 40 yds behind my stand that I  shot my buck from. It's a shame to see 1 go to waste. 

IMG_0760.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

• Like 1

squirrel, guts are always fatal but it just takes a while. It's also possible you hit liver, which is the same scenario. If you shot him at 9, 3pm will be about 6 hours and enough for him to expire if not bumped. I think 8 hours is even more preferred but then you run into dark and if he plugged up between first bed down and bump you're going to want that daylight. 

this is a situation where many of us look the other way if you bring a gun with you. and then many other righteous warriors on this site would say different. 

just my .02.

• Like 7

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic