LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

12 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Buddy found this buck 40 yds behind my stand that I  shot my buck from. It's a shame to see 1 go to waste. 

IMG_0760.jpg

That's what the last deer we let lay overnight looked like.

I'll never let one lay overnight again. Hopefully we'll never be in that situation again. If so, we'll go back 6-8 hrs later even if that's 2AM. 

• Like 1

Against my better judgement I did some tree surfing for a couple of hours this morning. Got in before light only to discover they had been in there pounding the acorns sometime before I got there. Way to windy to stay any longer. I would like to live for another day.

IMG_20201119_071101[1].jpg

IMG_20201119_071123[1].jpg

5 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Seeing forum members getting bucks this late in the season gives me hope. Even though I haven't had any new rubs or anything on the cameras for 2 weeks!

I took a walk around our 4-H property the other day and found 2 rubs and a scrape that weren't there a week ago. They're still at it....

• Like 1

Checked a camera at my ground blind yesterday  and bumped four does right beside it. On the camera I saw multiple does, a few small bucks and the biggest buck I’ve ever seen in my property. 

I could only get back at 11:00 today and bumped another doe 10 yards from the blind. 

Have been sitting here for 3 1/2 hours and nothing. 

• Like 1

Couldn't hunt this afternoon do to meeting with a client, but I dropped my nephew off so he could hunt.

Got back to the property and parked on the farm lane to wait for Kayden, and this guy walks out and comes within 15yrds of my running truck.  

IMG_20201119_153608666.jpg

• Like 2

Just reviewed notes. I've been out in the woods for at least a few hours 30 of 50 days since Oct 1st - I'm retired so have the time. Missed a dead nuts shot on10/22 as did not get that kisser in place, another lesson. Of the 20 days missed, some were super hot, some rain, some dog tired (moved a hang on stand in the rain when quiet as camera showed no deer in first spot - that hurts a 65 year old). One day in particular I was slurping down pancakes while a buck walked under my stand on 11/9 as  evidenced from trail cam the next day(ugh!). I had a buck almost walk into me in a ground blind one day, I was hand cuffed and he bounded off. I watched another buck walk under my stand on the 13th while in a brush blind nearby and texted  how I am being tested this year but am keeping a good attitude. The next morning I was lucky enough to have had him rutting under that stand all night  (via camera)and kind enough to get out of the way while I got up the stand and was rewarded. I knew I needed some hunter's luck and got it - two days of meat care. Various does, crows, squirrels, woodpeckers, foxes, house cats, owls and hawks kept me company. Besides some nice bucks, the most beautiful thing I saw was a torrent of oak leaves cascading down on a bright sunny day. I never see the action in regular season as in the early seasons given the rut, the colors, the weather, the lack of deer drives but hope is there always... any 5 seconds from now could be a lifetime memory.

• Like 15

Drove from my camp to my rental. Passed six does crossing the street and just in front of my place, an 8 point sniffing up four does. 

At this point, I’m only seeing deer while naked or wrapped in my car. If I could figure out how to cover my stand in sheet metal, I’d could probably doff my clothes for short stints and be golden. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic