LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Congrats to all who scored today..I wasn't even gonna go today,i am behind at work and thought i would catch up. My neighbor texted me last night and said you gotta go on opening day. Well,i woke up early so figured i would give it a few hrs. I had to get all my muzzleloader stuff together and find the orange vest and hat. 
My plan was to sit by a swamp,but i decided to take the long way round on my way there to check for vehicles,see who else was around. I saw a group of doe heading from low ground to high. A little further down the road a nice buck crossed,also going from low to high ground. So i switched my plan and went to a point on a north south ridge. 
I got in in the dark and once it got light i saw it wasn't quite the spot i wanted. I moved slowly closer to the point and stood there for a while. I was debating dropping to a lower bench on the leeward side of the ridge but then i wouldn't be able to see the top. Right then this guy pops up onto the top,nose to the ground..I was downwind and had plenty of time to rest my gun on a tree and pick a spot. He stopped briefly and i shot. I thought I saw him mule kick through the smoke and he took off. 
I lost sight of him but thought he crashed. I gave it some time and then followed the trail. He was bigger than i thought,rack-wise. By far the biggest racked buck i have gotten,but i think he is only 2.5 years old. What do you guys think? 18.5" spread,i am in 4F.
20201121_075250.thumb.jpg.5e2f2242bec7aa69006ea235af16cbe5.jpg
20201121_075303.thumb.jpg.3e307fa7847f2ce3ae7227074a77f4f3.jpg
20201121_075902.thumb.jpg.08979a6bf1fc46647f8f216f3ede14ab.jpg
Congrats Nice Buck! I'd say 2.5 maybe 3.5 either way he's a dandy Buck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Southeast? Where you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My folks place.  They are on one corner of 9f and I am on the opposite diagonal.

Too many coyotes on my corner.  Now that my buck tag is punched in a coyote free zone, I am going to hunt from my bedroom window tomorrow morning.  My 30/06 will be ready for the coyotes that want a bite out of a road kill deer carcass, and my 12 gauge for any antlerless deer that care to sample my turnip patch.

My daughter took some nice video of a big reddish colored coyote feeding on the carcass at 8:15 yesterday morning.  If it shows up tommorow, it will be in for a surprise.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Congrats Nice Buck! I'd say 2.5 maybe 3.5 either way he's a dandy Buck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It's crazy how they vary..I think my forkhorn bow buck was bigger bodied than this one,but the rack on this buck is sweet.

I shot these maybe a mile apart as the crow flies,definitely different genetics though. Our buck to doe ratio is so skewed that even the young and scrawny bucks get to breed plenty of does. I have done my part to even the ratio the last few years,but this year i got two bucks. 

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Congrats to all who scored today..I wasn't even gonna go today,i am behind at work and thought i would catch up. My neighbor texted me last night and said you gotta go on opening day. Well,i woke up early so figured i would give it a few hrs. I had to get all my muzzleloader stuff together and find the orange vest and hat. 

My plan was to sit by a swamp,but i decided to take the long way round on my way there to check for vehicles,see who else was around. I saw a group of doe heading from low ground to high. A little further down the road a nice buck crossed,also going from low to high ground. So i switched my plan and went to a point on a north south ridge. 

I got in in the dark and once it got light i saw it wasn't quite the spot i wanted. I moved slowly closer to the point and stood there for a while. I was debating dropping to a lower bench on the leeward side of the ridge but then i wouldn't be able to see the top. Right then this guy pops up onto the top,nose to the ground..I was downwind and had plenty of time to rest my gun on a tree and pick a spot. He stopped briefly and i shot. I thought I saw him mule kick through the smoke and he took off. 

I lost sight of him but thought he crashed. I gave it some time and then followed the trail. He was bigger than i thought,rack-wise. By far the biggest racked buck i have gotten,but i think he is only 2.5 years old. What do you guys think? 18.5" spread,i am in 4F.

20201121_075250.jpg

20201121_075303.jpg

20201121_075902.jpg

Great buck.  Looks like a 3 year old to me and  it ain't  getting older.  Congrats

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Crazy PM in the stand. Had a doe fawn and her twin BB mill around for a while... they moved off and then came back. Then 2 other does came in a left with the doe fawn but the BB wouldn’t leave. I left my pack with my flashlight in the truck and need it to cross the creek so even though the BB was still there I had to climb down. He was 7 yards behind my stand while I climbed down he didn’t spook not Even when I hit the ground. I took a few pics on the way down

7c716de54e274c416e06704712b89bc2.jpg
9a31c48029e00d835f0d81a0cc92da10.jpg
45fe7a3705e04f44d1707beb973d2a82.jpg
302c0814c4b7f0a12371dacf754dceb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Fifteen does today including the three that hang out in my yard at the end of the day. To be fair, some of these may be the same deer. 

Bow season: I use scent free soap, hang my clothes outside and sneak in before light. Eight sits, no deer. 

Rifle opener: I don’t shower for two days, throw on whatever clothes I have and crunch my way in. Covered in deer. 

Considering opening up a petting zoo. 

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Sure it does, a small doe is just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as "good" because they don't come with the two appetizers, and also usually run considerably smaller.

I have never personally killed one, but I did eat one that a neighbor gave me a few years ago.  I will agree with you that they taste the same.

• Like 1

Well it was a shit show on stateland for me, I've never seen even half the amount of hunters on the piece I hunt and the kicker.........not one shot all day! Probably head to my brothers tomorrow for a bow hunt, after Sunday I'll head back to stateland. 

Congratulations to all the hunters who harvested an animal, especially that huge bear (very cool). Keep the pictures coming it's great motivation for those of us having a slow year.

• Like 2

Well, I got skunked today, but my hunting buddy who joined me for the afternoon shot this guy within 5 minutes of getting in the stand. Best buck he's ever taken, and best buck ever taken from my land. We think this is the same buck he ran into last Saturday. It must of had a harem he was servicing.

silence-2020-11-21-171631.jpg

silence-2020-11-21-171616.jpg

• Like 34

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

20201121_075250.jpg

20201121_075303.jpg

20201121_075902.jpg

Great buck!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Well, I got skunked today, but my hunting buddy who joined me for the afternoon shot this guy within 5 minutes of getting in the stand. Best buck he's ever taken, and best buck ever taken from my land. We think this is the same buck he ran into last Saturday. It must of had a harem he was servicing.

silence-2020-11-21-171631.jpg

silence-2020-11-21-171616.jpg

That’s a giant.  I can’t imagine a friend taking that off of my property!

What part of the state?

• Like 2

Decided I'd had enough sitting, so I took the rifle for a walk this afternoon.  Saw a donkey Doe, but it wasn't a great shot so I passed.  Walked about 6 miles I think, found some interesting sign.  Then chilled with my dad and his buddy with the poor aim by the fire for a while.  His buddy had a heart transplant, so he's thankful to be there, and who knows how many more years my dad will be doing this.  So, no deer but still a good day.

• Like 8

Well it was a shit show on stateland for me, I've never seen even half the amount of hunters on the piece I hunt and the kicker.........not one shot all day! Probably head to my brothers tomorrow for a bow hunt, after Sunday I'll head back to stateland. 

Congratulations to all the hunters who harvested an animal, especially that huge bear (very cool). Keep the pictures coming it's great motivation for those of us having a slow year.

I knew it was gonna be nuts when I couldn't get a coffee at any drive through between Clarence and Ashville. Lines around the building

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I knew it was gonna be nuts when I couldn't get a coffee at any drive through between Clarence and Ashville. Lines around the building

Timmy’s on route 16 at around 5 am was nuts. So you didn’t score any plain donuts ?

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic