LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

I dont have a chance of seeing anything lolol my daughter put soap in my hunting clothes last night  I smell like a lavender soap bomb

Wait until you knock down a slob ...you’ll be marketing Aunt Cynthia’s Lavender deer attractant by Dec 1st!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, mowin said:

Never understood why one would be upset with a BB, but not a doe fawn?  

Both eat the same so why? Potential P&Y?  

Same doe fawn could have the same or better genetics as the BB. But every BB taken is considered as the next world record, but the doe fawn is just that..... a doe. 

Sorry, but it takes genetics from both parents to make something special. 

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, manmathison said:

Not sure why the judgement over a simple statement. He/we’re grateful for the gift every time it happens, especially in these uncertain times. Neither my dad or I are rack hunters. We’re out there for the enjoyment and to provide for our family. He was upset that he misidentified the deer, not that he could have seen buttons at that distance, had nothing to do doe/buck.

my dad did the same last year. Nothing wrong with taking an animal you're going to eat, but it's understandable to be upset at shooting something you didn't intend too or even if you don't mind, to your point misidentifying it.

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

my dad did the same last year. Nothing wrong with taking an animal you're going to eat, but it's understandable to be upset at shooting something you didn't intend too or even if you don't mind, to your point misidentifying it.

Ive done it more than once, this one was a 1.5 with rifle. I couldnt believe it

image.thumb.png.db9193753da9b02f3f2c17c9fd34a066.png

• Like 2

New spot today, rookie mistake, I realized the spot I decided to set up at this morning was an afternoon spot for deer and I’d be better farther down the travel corridor. Moved spots around 8 I’ll probably sit here till noon. At least the feeling of trying something new will keep my hopes up!88bbb9350e66b24ad8892a1b371215ea.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, manmathison said:

Not sure why the judgement over a simple statement. He/we’re grateful for the gift every time it happens, especially in these uncertain times. Neither my dad or I are rack hunters. We’re out there for the enjoyment and to provide for our family. He was upset that he misidentified the deer, not that he could have seen buttons at that distance, had nothing to do doe/buck.

No judgement from me. I've shot my share of BB, and I'm definitely not a trophy or horn hunter.

You mentioned your dad was upset it was a BB. Would he have shot if he realized it was a BB?  

My statement was more of a general feeling from the hunting community that a BB shouldn't be taken.

I meant no disrespect to you or your dad. 

• Like 1

had some stuff happen with the wife's surgery being postponed, purely administrative but annoying none the less. Anyhow, gave me a chance to go out this AM and my heart just isn't in it. Coupled with maybe 1 glass of wine too many and a restless sleep. I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early. But I'm careful to balance the line between "driven and determined" and "ruining what should be fun" by making it a chore. 

So that's my pontification for the day. Going to head out for the afternoon.

• Like 4

had some stuff happen with the wife's surgery being postponed, purely administrative but annoying none the less. Anyhow, gave me a chance to go out this AM and my heart just isn't in it. Coupled with maybe 1 glass of wine too many and a restless sleep. I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early. But I'm careful to balance the line between "driven and determined" and "ruining what should be fun" by making it a chore. 

I’m feeling that way and I’m hunting bow. I think it’s just fatigue. I will probably shoot the first non button buck that gives me a shot and take a break for a bit

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If its any motivation, my cams have been dead for weeks and this morning I had 3 different bucks in minutes (all moments ago) on the same cam.  I assume a hot doe in area, but it can happen anytime.

moog there's no doubt in my mind i'll hunt the stand i planned to hunt this am and see nothing. pull the cams and see a nice shooter was there this am. haha

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

If its any motivation, my cams have been dead for weeks and this morning I had 3 different bucks in minutes (all moments ago) on the same cam.  I assume a hot doe in area, but it can happen anytime.

Funny you say this, a coworker who hunts about an hour south in 3M, has had a season completely opposite as to what he's used to.  He gets a giant every year, but this year has gone many days of seeing nothing, and has not seen any mature bucks.  He just sent me a pic of a big buck 160 yards out in a field, and is one of the few deer he's seen in a week id say.  

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

You and me both ! Not seeing much ( anything ) while my buddies are all shooting slammers , I renew hope , head down, don’t see anything . 

Im going to my farthest spot this afternoon , so if I do get a buck, the drag will be absolutely punishing , seems fitting .

Good luck !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early.

I hear so many hunters say that.  I am the complete opposite.  I bow hunt on occasion, but honestly could care less about it.  Put a rifle in my hands and I mean business.  Gun season is where it starts for me.

• Like 2

Harvested a nice doe Sunday PM in 4A hunting from a ground blind. 50yd broadside shot with the .308. Nice shot placement through the heart and lungs. Ran out of sight but I heard the crash - found her within 30yds just before she got into some thick cover. No blood trail that I noticed - was lucky to find her with just the flashlight.

Had tenderloins for dinner last night - she's tasty!

PXL_20201122_214629908.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201124_011241795.jpg

• Like 33

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic