LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yup, 2 buttons and a shed buck for me.   No clue everytime.  Always with gun though.  

same. it can happen in archery too, but I think at some point you're also deciding to take a pretty small deer (sub 110 lbs) and I think many are less likely to do that during archery and more likely during gun. But the added distance with gun is what makes it hard of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I hear so many hunters say that.  I am the complete opposite.  I bow hunt on occasion, but honestly could care less about it.  Put a rifle in my hands and I mean business.  Gun season is where it starts for me.

I used to be too when I was younger. Then as my passion for bow grew, gun season became more "deer camp" fun. Usually, I also have a nice buck so it's like extra innings. I enjoy gun for what it is, just as much as I enjoy archery for what it is and I don't think anyone's passion is right or wrong. We all hunt for different reasons. As chef mentioned there's some fatigue. I'm at 20+ sits with a bunch of other crap going on in my life and that early morning alarm clock and bone chilling cold become less appetizing. 

No matter why and what season you like, it's always important that you don't make it a chore... I guess that was my main point. 

• Like 3

Spotted four does bedding from my ground blind. Okay, cool, I know where they are. 

This afternoon, I decided to leave them alone in case I bothered them and walked to my main stand. Came across a large track which passed within two feet of my stand  naturally, when I was saying, “hey look, does!” 

I’m beginning to take this personally.

Edited by left field

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

In for the afternoon sit. This is the back of the field that my tower is in. Saw a real nice buck back here from the tower at last light yesterday. He was 400 yds away. Thought I’d get a bit closer tonight. Got a favorable wind for it. 

F13CB0C4-BF16-4147-8B5C-68A6F1DD27E4.jpeg

Looks like a sweet setup!  Hope he makes an appearance.

• Like 1

Made an interesting observation on the way to my stand today. I came across three different scrapes that had been freshly worked. Yet as of two days ago, they had not been worked in at least two weeks. Wonder if one of the big boys I have on trail camera is back around or some new buck is moving in? Either way, good sign for me. 

13 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Made an interesting observation on the way to my stand today. I came across three different scrapes that had been freshly worked. Yet as of two days ago, they had not been worked in at least two weeks. Wonder if one of the big boys I have on trail camera is back around or some new buck is moving in? Either way, good sign for me. 

i had more scrapes and rubs this last weekend come up than all of season.  and of course i am at work.  But good luck! 

Well i wasn’t planning an all day sit today but i did because of all the fresh sign around this stand. Saw four doe all day. Two at 330 but no shot into that thicket.  The picture with my gun is a different scrape. There were two other smaller ones as well

5DB7C32B-4D03-4C10-8BFA-4AC19EF6704E.jpeg

D7E1BD07-5DDB-4F38-B75D-119137B424D1.jpeg

32344406-B185-40D1-A59F-80521D40717D.jpeg

4A5CB4F1-7A00-4723-819C-4394360385E5.jpeg

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

Well in my thicket stand , I’ve killed two nice bow bucks here, seen many more, seldom see does, just cruising bucks ,tonight zippo .

Walking out along the winter wheat, there’s a ditch to my left full of cattails , left of that a bush hogged path 15 feet wide then a thicket . A large doe pops out at 75 yards ,and easy shot ,but with NYS crazy sunrise / sunset law I can’t shoot , houses across from  me can see me clearly . Then two more doe , I basically follow them out closing the gap to 40 yards , then up ahead a large buck . 

The does go back into the thicket and I close the gap on the buck to 30 yards before he catches on .

Im going to have to hunt my hut on the other side of this thicket I think , seeing, many deer, in it lately .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

So last night I sat in my tower and saw 17 deer. One was a small buck, and a bunch of does. Then near last light a nice buck showed at 400 yds. Too far for me to confidently shoot. I sat in the back of the field tonight, same stand I took my doe from a couple of weeks ago. Saw zero deer, WTF. Gentle breeze was in my face.
I thought last nights buck may have walked in front of the cam in that corner so I pulled the card on the way out. I don’t know what’s up with the right side of his rack (broken off I guess), but I saw three  long tines on the left side. I’d like to see him again.

864F67B2-3B7B-4A83-86F0-A271E60BFF5C.jpeg

• Like 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic