LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Yesterday in the am I didn't see any deer only heard 3 shots . No cars parked in the usual spots . Neither son or I layed eyes on a deer. Had to leave at 1100 to make it home for dinner.  Back in the woods at 20 after 3  dark and over cast . Woods were very quiet no squirrels even . 4 pm heard the tell tail trot of deer coming up the property line . Pulled my 41 mag from chest holster and got ready . First deer up  was a big doe.  2 fawns followed by another big doe .3 more fawns  and another big doe . Let them all pass at 35 yds. Watched hoping there might be a buck in trail. All the deer filtered in behind me down wind . One big doe got nervous  putting them all on alert.  They eventually  settled down and fed off. I took the time  practicing shot positions with the revolver tracking them through the woods .  The end of legal shooting  light raced up on me  with out another deer sighting. On the drive out in twilight  I counted the shapes of 22 deer in the big green winter wheat field on top. Another day in the books . 

Forgot to set alarm last night so it will be a half day hunt . Have to dispose of 2 deer carcass and drop off stuff to my uncles house this morning . Good luck to all of you out this morning .

• Like 2

Beat this for a bad morning - drove an hour to hunt an exciting new property.  In my stand by 6:00.  Slight shift and my shotgun fell 20’ to the ground, fully loaded.  Luckily didn’t go-off, but broke the stock and ended my hunting this morning.  I’ll sit quietly until after sunrise to take off.  I’ll drive the hour back for another weapon to return this afternoon.

Thankful that I wasn’t injured.

• Like 4
  • Sad 10

Beat this for a bad morning - drove an hour to hunt an exciting new property.  In my stand by 6:00.  Slight shift and my shotgun fell 20’ to the ground, fully loaded.  Luckily didn’t go-off, but broke the stock and ended my hunting this morning.  I’ll sit quietly until after sunrise to take off.  I’ll drive the hour back for another weapon to return this afternoon.

Well that sucks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ve been out every morning of the gun season and still haven’t seen a deer. I’ve only heard 2 shots go off in this time. This is getting pretty discouraging to say the least. But congratulations to all the successful hunters here....some of you guys shot some really nice bucks.

54 minutes ago, FLXmatt said:

Sounds like a fortunate morning. If it had of went off it could have been a real bad morning. Glad your okay!

1 hour ago, FLXmatt said:

I rarely hunt higher than 10 feet, but I have had that happen twice in 39 seasons.  The first time, maybe 30 years ago, my Ithaca 37 16 ga with Weaver 1.5x scope fell into a ditch with about a foot of water in it.  I dried it off, oiled it up, and it has worked fine ever since.

No such luck when I dropped this Marlin 512, from a little higher, onto frozen ground 10 years ago.  That sheared the two #10 screws, that held the scope base, clean off.

I drilled it out, and tapped for 1/4" screws, but the old Bushnell banner 3x scope it had on was never quite right afterwords.  Last year, I put this new Redfield revolution 2-7x on it and it is back to being the tack driver that it always was, prior to the drop.

Hopefully you can make your shotgun better also.  Maybe put a fancy wood or composite stock on it.  

20201127_073401.jpg

Edited by wolc123

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic