LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Setup for the afternoon.  Looks like they were in here this morning so I'm hoping they are in the bedding straight out in front.  Hemlocks/cherry in front with oaks on each side swamp straight in front of me 200 yards. Hardwoods behind backed up to another hemlock swamp.  They like to bed in the swamp out in front.  Deer get pinched at the bottom of the hill behind me because they dont like crossing that swamp.  At this point any stateland buck is getting shot if its above the ears.  

20201127_124859.jpg

20201127_124917.jpg

20201127_124844.jpg

No school for the kids, wife doesn’t have to work, and no social obligations means I am free!!

With no scouting, I decided to head back to an old spot I had success in years ago. Hunted from sunrise till noon. Could have had me a doe but don’t have tags so I had to let her go. Didn’t see anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_7918.jpg
  • Like 3

Slow day at work so I spent half the morning catching up. Congrats on some nice deer taken. @cynthiafu that sucks in the moment, but makes it for a better story after, assuming you don't have a heart attack in the moment!

I took yesterday off. Had a late night finishing up the doe from last weekend and the forecast called for rain. Forecast was wrong, but I needed to catch up on sleep anyway. I'll be back in tomorrow. I'm skeptical that any of the big bucks are still around, given the hunting pressure in the area. I'd be thrilled to get another doe.

I moved a stand last Friday after getting some decent pics in a different area. Sat there a few times since and noticed a lot of deer about 200 yards to my west. Today I entered the stand from that spot and found these! Just moved that stand again and am sitting tight until dark.614eed95b8ab33876457cdc0f9f2e0d0.jpg&key=8f185c58ed4fe7d136f26f615f5cbd7721e91f99a3db18e89c18965867ef06b9

451ec4eaa23943b224e6c05eb139e373.jpg&key=1ce6310ba372cdd6ecdc10d9a7678e2ff27e6190db807ec9e7b802d70cdcd045

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Just settled in and already have does in food plot.  Hopefully they move good this afternoon.  Seems like action has slowed since the opener.  Yesterday was slowest Thanksgiving day since I have hunted here 16 yrs.  though I heard 2 shots in last 5 minutes so maybe things are picking up.  IDK? 

7 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Just settled in and already have does in food plot.  Hopefully they move good this afternoon.  Seems like action has slowed since the opener.  Yesterday was slowest Thanksgiving day since I have hunted here 16 yrs.  though I heard 2 shots in last 5 minutes so maybe things are picking up.  IDK? 

Used to be the day after Thanksgiving was the second busiest after opening day.  I heard one distance shot at 6:45 when I was getting ready at truck. And nothing else all day

I am settled in also, for the afternoon sit in my back woods stand.  This is the spot where I killed my last late season antletless deer in 2017.  Maybe lightning will strike again.  A little relaxation will be good anyhow.

My 3 hour lunch "break" was pretty productive but not to relaxing. I fried up a big onion and about a pound of liver.  I like the flavor of venison liver a little better than beef, but not quite as tender from a deer older than 6 mo.  

I also freshened up my coyote bait pile with the butchering waste from Wednesday night.  There was nothing left in that field but a rib cage from a big roadkill buck that I dragged out there last week. 

Afyer that, I cleared  a dead ash blowdown that was blocking the lane, and fixed the exhaust leak on my wife's van.  I also put the hitch carrier on that, in anticipation of needing it to bring a doe home from my folks place tomorrow.  I think my odds of getting one of those over there is a lot better than here.

Edited by wolc123

Like anyone else I don’t like educating deer of my stand locations. So after that spike bedded in front of me this morning for the third time and I had to leave I tried a new tactic. I figured I would snort wheeze, trying to intimidate him and frighten him off. So with my mouth I snort wheezed and that spike got up and came right in to ten yards looking. It still took him 20 minutes to wander away but mission accomplished.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic