LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Hunting a certain state park in 3m yesterday. Get in to a spot (1 car per spot) an hour before legal light, set up and patiently wait over some established trees bordering swamp. 7:20; a hunter in blaze is crashing through the woods, stops 50 yards from me and yells out "hey, you hunting?", Meanwhile I'm wearing my blaze vest and hat holding a shotgun. Face palm. He leaves noisily and that's that.

Hour later, I'm hearing movement, getting excited when I just can't hold back a sneeze. Let one go, and I'm thinking the spot is blown. Nope, guy with binos and no blaze (birdwatching? hiking?) yells out "bless you!" 30 yards behind me. Another face palm.

Upset, I decide to take off for lunch and feed my soul with some delicious leftovers. Decide to get back in there at another spot for afternoon hunt, same park.

Park at a spot, decide to walk on an established trail to a field. Not more than 10 min in I almost get run over by a mountain biker that clips the left side of my pack splashing muddy water over me. No warning, no "sorry" nothing. I'm obviously upset, but decide not to let this ruin my day. Set up off a nice field, pry off some ticks that are crawling and wait for some movement. An hour before legal sunset, I see some heavy set guy panting along a nearby trail going to the field I'm set up by. He stops and I kid you not, starting taking out pelican cases, and starts flying a DRONE... Meanwhile, he HAD to have seen me in all my blaze glory 50 yards away. 

I'm just done with this day and head to the parking lot and call the DEC ECO. Said park only allows hunters during regular season and not every yahoo crashing through the woods or running over hunters on mountain bikes.

Although I did meet an old timer local who asked me if I learned my lesson; "that's why you carry birdshot and fill your drone tag."

Thoughts? Was it too much to call the ECO to start giving out some fines?

9517AFD0-F8C5-4889-9908-90FAC7592371.thumb.jpeg.924011256837e977bd430b60f642eee1.jpegLet’s give this a go again this afternoon.

Wife and I are on a socially distanced date night. She’s watching a different field corner about 700 yds away. Afternoon action has all been last minute stuff the past couple of nights.

Neither one of us took a deer yet. Each have a buck and doe tag to spend.

• Like 2

I will see how the chainsaw works as a deer call this afternoon.  I ran it for about an hour, clearing blowdowns off the trails in the woods during my lunch "break".  Spent the last couple hours with wife, kids and parents, eating leftover turkey and helping decorate their Christmas tree.

Now, if only a doe and button buck would step out to feed on a bit of clover before 4:40, it would make a good ending to a good day.

20201128_145159.jpg

Edited by wolc123

21 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

9517AFD0-F8C5-4889-9908-90FAC7592371.thumb.jpeg.924011256837e977bd430b60f642eee1.jpegLet’s give this a go again this afternoon.

Wife and I are on a socially distanced date night. She’s watching a different field corner about 700 yds away. Afternoon action has all been last minute stuff the past couple of nights.

Neither one of us took a deer yet. Each have a buck and doe tag to spend.imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34

Same here,my only hope is something starts out of the thicket to the left with light left .

Good luck !

07EBCD41-46CE-4CA1-B6E8-56A5B6EC66CF.jpeg

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic